Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

It would be so nice, and should be very easy to implement, to have an interface, where you could choose exactly which parameters to reset. It would save a lot of time every time there is an update.
Also, one factor to keep in mind is that reset simply means "what you do when you SELECT a new amp model" in the leftmost page of the amp block. So changing that will mean changing the normal behavior Cliff's amp block needs to do. I think it makes some sense if you ask for a separate function, a parameter bulk initialization function, that simply takes into account all the current parameter-related code for the amp block, letting the user choose to avoid initializing some or most of the parameters. It makes sense to me, but the function would need constant tweaking, I mean tweaking with every single firmware update where there are any new parameters or parameter valuation methods, etc. That's where the work comes in, not just in the first step of providing the capacity to a user, which is the "easy to implement" part.

I just giged with the optical compressors for two shows. Just like solo act said it is a game changer.

On my high gain stuff I'm using optical one before the amp. 3 or 4 db reduction and output up 4 db or so.

I have a Brian Setzer patch that makes me cry. I use optical 1 before the amp and optical 2 at the end of the chain. Both very light.

Optical 1 for my acoustic seriously gives me wood!

Where do you put 'm, what are your settings?
I'm still learning how they work/feel and adjusting playing. End result last night was a new level of clarity and refinement. Lighter picking isn't getting buried anymore, and heavier picking/attack (if comp level is "right") is hitting nicely instead of jumping out too much. A few patches felt "flat" and could use a little less motor drive and/or optical comp.

My location and settings vary based on amp, cab and desired result. The closer you get to front of signal chain, the fewer things you compress & refine. The less you compress, the larger your dynamic "window". I have patches with no comp, comp at front of chain, comp after pedals and wah, after amp/cab, and even after reverb.

Setting depends on how much amp is already compressing, and where motor drive feels good. Sometimes by the time a crunchy amp & cab with high input gain are optimized for feel, I only need -1 to -2 db comp max, or no comp at all. On cleans with an amp that doesn't sag much, I've run optical 1 at up to -6db reduction (at peaks).

Between optical, motor drive and amp compression, it's possible to cross that fine line and feel like you've sucked some life out of a patch. A patch that was too stiff can now feel a little "dead/squashed" in your hands/playing at the gig. It's a fine balance of reigning in dynamics...but not too much.

The cool part is we now have the dynamics tools to craft anything from a chewy, raw cranked live tube rig to a finished/mastered album tone and deliver that at any volume in any venue.

Last edited:
I'm still learning how they work/feel and adjusting playing. End result last night was a new level of clarity and refinement. Lighter picking isn't getting buried anymore, and heavier picking/attack (if comp level is "right") is hitting nicely instead of jumping out too much. A few patches felt "flat" and could use a little less motor drive and/or optical comp.

My location and settings vary based on amp, cab and desired result. The closer you get to front of signal chain, the fewer things you compress & refine. The less you compress, the larger your dynamic "window". I have patches with no comp, comp at front of chain, comp after pedals and wah, after amp/cab, and even after reverb.

Setting depends on how much amp is already compressing, and where motor drive feels good. Sometimes by the time a crunchy amp & cab with high input gain are optimized for feel, I only need -1 to -2 db comp max, or no comp at all. On cleans with an amp that doesn't sag much, I've run optical 1 at up to -6db reduction (at peaks).

Between optical, motor drive and amp compression, it's possible to cross that fine line and feel like you've sucked some life out of a patch. A patch that was too stiff can now feel a little "dead/squashed" in your hands/playing at the gig. It's a fine balance of reigning in dynamics...but not too much.

The cool part is we now have the dynamics tools to craft anything from a chewy, raw cranked live tube rig to a finished/mastered album tone and deliver that at any volume in any venue.

Thanks for the detail you put in This post. As newby to FA, I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the analogue tech talk esp with Q7 and compression. I feel like I need a course in audio engineering . What's the best way to understand and simplify some of the talk around compression etc

So what I've done for the final release is put Motor Drive in BOTH the Amp block and the Cab block. If you're strictly FRFR then you can use the Amp block. If you are using a conventional guitar cab or a hybrid configuration (convention cab for monitoring and direct to FOH) then you can use the Cab block.

Doing it in the Amp block also has the advantage that the speaker resonance information in the Amp block is used to calculate the frequency dependent heating whereas the Cab block uses a fixed set of data that is representative of a typical speaker.

Finally I've made the time constant adjustable. I did some more calculations and measurements and found that a typical guitar speaker is actually lower than what I had previously calculated because thinner wire is used than I was assuming. Regardless you can now set the thermal time constant to get whatever response rate feels best.

I thought this was such helpful information from the "Difference Between Motor Drive & Speaker Drive" thread that I don't want anyone browsing in the Firmware Release thread to miss it :)

I use the windows snipping tool to take a screenshot of my first panel controls before I reset the amp block. Then it's easy just to put it next to axe edit and punch the numbers in. These days though I typically won't bother because I'm just just adjusting the basic controls.

I do something similar, but it still irks me to write down or track settings for a "closed" system like the Fractal.

By "closed" I mean the hardware and software, AxeEdit, are both Fractal products. With so many users confused about amp reset, taking notes, screenshots etc, it would be nice for the software to aid with this issue.

If it were copying data from two independent products, then it would make more sense for manual intervention.

I do something similar, but it still irks me to write down or track settings for a "closed" system like the Fractal.

By "closed" I mean the hardware and software, AxeEdit, are both Fractal products. With so many users confused about amp reset, taking notes, screenshots etc, it would be nice for the software to aid with this issue.

If it were copying data from two independent products, then it would make more sense for manual intervention.
It would be welcome if this—and user-cab housekeeping—had a little more automation behind them.

What's the best way to understand and simplify some of the talk around compression etc
Have you ever watched a movie where you can't hear the actors talking quietly and the explosions/gunshots are way too loud?

When the same problem happens on the axe-fx, your quiet/light playing is too quiet, and your loud/hard playing is too loud. Same problem, different scenario.

Compression helps bring out your light/quiet playing and helps reduce your hard/loud playing. Done right, it "feels great" in your hands, not too soft, not too hard...juuust right. You need to customize it to feel good for you because someone else's settings might not work. And the amount changes based on the amp, cab and tone you're going for. As you explore too little and too much compression, you'll start to get an idea of what feels right to you.

The good news is that the optical compressors in auto mode are stupid-simple to use compared to doing all your settings manually.

well said @solo-act you can't expect someone else's comp settings to work for you. too many variables. experiment with extreme settings, you'll find where you like it

Thanks for the detail you put in This post. As newby to FA, I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the analogue tech talk esp with Q7 and compression. I feel like I need a course in audio engineering . What's the best way to understand and simplify some of the talk around compression etc
One thing that took awhile to sink in, and made the subject much simpler for me, was getting a mental picture of what "compression" refers to.

Picture dynamics as variation in loudness. Compression means reducing the amount of variation of parts of a signal. "Louder" will often mean "better" in terms of that part of the music, for one thing because its easier for our ears to follow that element, which one hopes is a musical element either rhythmically, melodically, or harmonically.

What makes the subject interesting, and what often takes some thought to get used to, is the idea that this whole subject of compression falls within a realm that is highly non-linear. Non linearity normally refers to measurements where the values one is measuring do not change at a constant rate (in the research I do this can involve rates that increase and then decrease...but most often when something is said to be non-linear it is being measured relative to a single scale, of increase/decrease and when it does not decrease/increase at a constant rate, but perhaps at some geometric rate, or a varying rate, it is non-linear).

What's important with dynamics involves more than this simple form of non-linearity. It involves the PERCEIVED "space" within the "loudness-quietness realm" that you may want to manage as a musician, producer, mixing board operator, or such. So non-linearity can also be a way of talking about EXPERIENTIAL differences, and not just physically measurable differences (in terms of rates of increase).

An analogy is where a musician who does not do mixing & engineering is thinking in terms of the simple turning of dials on his mixing board. He should be able to coax something nice by simply raising and lowering the levels between the tracks, but for some reason he cannot. This is because the mixing board is designed to represent things in terms of physical and electronic properties. The aesthetic properties are a whole different set of properties, and no one has any way of measuring them, but the talk of compression is an attempt to describe aesthetic IDEALS and basic aesthetic IDEAS of one form or another.

I would liken this to a case where the non-mixing musician has 10 apples, and knows that he wants to reduce them so that there are approximately 5 apples. But since apples are more of a physical idea, rather than the complex aesthetic idea that the mixing engineer is capable of, his idea of apples is a rigid idea. 10 apples equals 10 apples. If he were a chef he might think of them differently.

To a chef, although 5 apples might be half as many apples as 10 apples, if you actually look at your apples, there are different sized ones; in other words the measurement you want to do might be depending on something non-linear, i.e. where one method of equivalency might result in a different answer than another method of equivalency. As I said, the measurements one is attempting to do in terms of improving the aesthetics of various elements of "loudness-quietness realm" are an unknown, and mixing professionals are artists, who are skilled at working within this field based upon their expertise. They realize, when they're truly expert, that loudness is not "better". But that using loudness-quietness is one of the most powerful tools in the palette.

There are a whole series of "firsts" in the manipulation of this loudness-quietness realm dating way back - I've only begun to understand some of them. There are a lot of genre specific techniques. There are also techniques specific to the venue where listening takes place. In listening to classical music in factory-ready car speakers, if the music isn't "compressed" there will be parts where you won't hear what's going on - at all, against the distractions of the outside noises.

Playing guitar, similarly, especially in a single line solo, there are dips in the volume of the notes, after the attack portion of the sound, that will get swallowed up by the distractions of rock music, i.e. drums and bass. Every single genre of music requires a different take on what the aesthetic elements are and how they should best co-exist - which is why its so much fun to begin to use and understand compression.

The AXE FX virtual optical compressors, although making the loudness more consistent and the trail off much slower, has output that contains IMHO much more of the nuance of the actual dynamics. The benefit is that it practically becomes a synthesizer at higher ratios; one can create smooth and flowing timbres.. A 10,000% improvement in that particular genre-specific use, of using a compressor to increase sustain - because for me it prevents the dynamic dullness of too much compression.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by this statement...I must be misunderstanding something. I thought when you used a guitar cab., you should turn off cab. simulation (pg. 31 of the manual). Will the Motor Drive parameter in the Cabinet block still work?

In this case you are actually using cab sim on output 1 and no cab sim on output 2.

No, speaker drive is still present in Amp block's speaker tab
So if you want speaker distortion on on output 1 but not on output 2 you use motor drive in the cab block I guess.
(It´s a little confusing. I read that there was also a parameter called motor drive in the amp block)

Back
Top Bottom