Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

I did that and unfortunately it destroyed my tone on all my presets. Everything is muddy and harsh at the same time. I see it turns on the bright switch, turns off the low cut, adjusts the brightness and presence, defaults the Graphic EQ to 0 and squashes the master volume to 5. The only thing it didn't touch is the gain and bass, mid, treble. I reloaded my saved presets and they now sound terrible. So saving them didn't help. At least I know where to re-tweak.
So I keep asking about this and I did get this much--good luck...

FractalAudio said: ↑
In most cases you should deselect/reselect. Alternatively you can use Axe-Edit to load the default value for that parameter.

This has been said oft times, but to repeat, the bottom line is:

NOTES:
1. This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and re-selecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.

This is the way on new FW. Ignore the beta, or stay on it if it works for you, however, each time you upgrade, be FULLY PREPARED to rework all your presets if necessary. It's not that way with everyone, but with some folks...yes.

Way of the world folks, stay on earlier FW if it works for you, no shame there. But in the 10 years with FAS, I've never reverted after working with a FW for a bit of time. Unicorn's probably won't boil out of the box without some work...(although many get lucky and it just *works*)

R

yes this!

it's very important to have a workflow and a system, especially with a big update like this

back up everything!

record all your presets if you can. this will give you a reference for tone and preset level

update

copy x into y in the amp block

reset x - remember, this will set some parameters to default values - master volume, pres, graphic, bright switch etc

you can now flip between x and y to compare values and copy over any changes you made in your original preset (y) into the new preset (x)

tweak and listen to your recordings for comparison

i have level meters set up in logic audio, so i can compare the recorded audio with the incoming audio. this gives me a direct comparison of preset levels

Or...just treat it like you bought a new amp!
When Cliff said 'Spitting', he was right - some of these are gnarly!
Thanks again fractal team!
Pauly

back up everything!
record all your presets if you can. this will give you a reference for tone and preset level
update
copy x into y in the amp block
reset x - remember, this will set some parameters to default values - master volume, pres, graphic, bright switch etc

you can now flip between x and y to compare values and copy over any changes you made in your original preset (y) into the new preset (x)

tweak and listen to your recordings for comparison

i have level meters set up in logic audio, so i can compare the recorded audio with the incoming audio. this gives me a direct comparison of preset levels
+1

Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_Quantum_7p00.zip

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_XL_Quantum_7p00.zip

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_XL_Plus_Quantum_7p00.zip

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.

Improved output transformer modeling. This results in tighter, less boomy and smoother bass when the virtual power amp is driven hard. Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy. It is recommended instead, however, to readjust other parameters in the preset (i.e. Drive, BMT, etc.) which will achieve more authentic results.

Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again). This results in tighter bass and “chunkier” tones. As a result nearly all amp models that use cathode followers have been reworked with updated parameters. It is recommended that the model be reloaded by deselecting and reselecting the desired model which will load the pertinent default values. Models that have benefited the most from this include:
- Bogfish
- Brit 800
- CA3+
- Cameron CCV
- Corncob
- Dizzy V4 Blue
- Dizzy V4 Silver
- Herbie
- Recto1 and Recto2
- Solo 88, 99 and 100

Changed default value of Speaker Drive to 0.5. When selecting an amp model the Speaker Drive parameter will now default to a value of 0.5 which is commensurate with a small amount of speaker breakup. Adjust this value to taste, if desired. If using the Axe-Fx II with a power amp and conventional guitar speakers you may want to reduce this value as the guitar speakers will impart their own distortion.

Fixed mistake in preamp compression algorithm.

Added “Dirty Shirley 2” amp model based on an earlier version of this amp with some different component values. This model is a little more aggressive than the regular model.

Changed “Bludojai Clean” amp model so that “Pre-Amp Bypass” is off (Pre-Amp Bypass actually bypasses the tone stack and increases the gain so it should be more correctly referred to as “Tone Stack Bypass”).

Added “Brit 800 #34” amp model based on the “Santiago #34” modifications.

Changed taper of Overdrive control in “USA Lead” amp models so that control is not so abrupt.

Replaced following OwnHammer factory cabs with new IRs (see Note 2):
- Cab #57 with “4x12 MAR PR-H55 FULL”
- Cab #142 with “1x12 DLX P12R Fat”
- Cab #146 with “4x10 SUPER VERB CTS FAT”
- Cab #148 with “4x12 MAR PR-M20B FULL”
- Cab #149 with “4x12 TRAD V60 FULL”

Added five new cabs comprised of our favorite mixes from several of our latest cab packs (only available for XL and XL+):
- 1x12 Class-A 15W Mix
- 1x15 Vibrato Verb Mix
- 2x12 Class-A 30W Mix
- 4x10 SuperVerb Mix
- 4x12 Greenback Mix

Fixed missing feedback network capacitor in all “Recto” models. This results in extended bass response.

Fixed mistakes in “Euro” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Cameron” amp models.

Fixed several mistakes in “Shiver” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Hot Kitty” amp model.

Fixed wrong transformer match value in “Citrus Terrier” model.

Fixed “Ruby Rocket” and “Ruby Rocket Brt” model names swapped. The amp’s bright switch is logically backwards (bright on is switch down).

Fixed input gain slightly too high in “Solo 88 Cln” model.

Fixed wrong phase inverter tail resistor and snubber capacitor values in “Brit AFS100” models.

Fixed wrong screen resistor value in all “PVH” models.

Fixed can’t cancel controller “Learn Mode” in I/O->CTRL menu.

Fixed Custom Shift menu error in Pitch block.

NOTES:
1. This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.

2. Fractal Audio Systems is pleased to announce that our online store will be carrying a new series of OwnHammer Cab Packs containing high-quality IRs for use with the Axe-Fx II, AX8, or Cab-Lab. In addition, OwnHammer has provided five new IRs to replace some of the factory cabs they provided previously, including one free sample from the new, "OwnHammer 412 Mar Green Vintage" available now at http://shop.fractalaudio.com. This pack contains some of the best IRs we've ever heard and is simply a "must have" for vintage 4x12 "Brit Green" tones.

Dear Cliff & FAS Team,

The latest beta and now this public FW release is a great release and as an AXE FX MKII owner i'm really glad I am able to be part of the latest updates as they have been improvements that suits me well.

So a great thanks from a MKII user!

This has been said oft times, but to repeat, the bottom line is:

NOTES:
1. This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and re-selecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.

This is the way on new FW. Ignore the beta, or stay on it if it works for you, however, each time you upgrade, be FULLY PREPARED to rework all your presets if necessary. It's not that way with everyone, but with some folks...yes.

Way of the world folks, stay on earlier FW if it works for you, no shame there. But in the 10 years with FAS, I've never reverted after working with a FW for a bit of time. Unicorn's probably won't boil out of the box without some work...(although many get lucky and it just *works*)

R
So we don't need to do a reset block? Just refresh the type of amp?

So we don't need to do a reset block? Just refresh the type of amp?

Correct. The terms are slightly confusing.

"Re-select amp type" = "refresh amp type" = "reset amp type".
This means you just have to de-select the current amp type (which means: select another amp type), followed by selecting the previous one again. This sets all "advanced" parameters to the correct default values for the current amp type. Also, Master Volume, Presence/HiCut, Depth, Bright switch, will be set to the default values for the current amp type.

This is different from "resetting" the entire block, which will set ALL parameters in the AMP block to their default values. Including Drive, Bass, Middle, etc.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...ock_parameters#Resetting_AMP_block_parameters

Oh my word.
I just picked up my Custom 24 and loaded up my boogie preset. This might be perfection!
Somethings clicked. Something is drastically different. I've been messing with the preset all day but suddenly it gives me everything I wanted? on Alnico pickups?
I AM James Hetfield!
Voodoo....

Wellcome James...:cool:

Hey all

> 180 or so posts + 9 pages = no comparison clips ?!?!?!? :) what gives :)

Im on 6.03 and will be for a week or 2 due to shows.

But can some of you " 7.0 Final " people post some quick comparison clips of 6.03 Final -vs- 7.00 Final ?

You know the drill ........ same settings, cabs, guitars etc.... [other than FW obviously] so we can get an idea of the changes from 6.03 to 7.00 ?

As per last time, please, no grave/death/morbid/ultra-metal ... please :)

Thanks,
Ben

I´ve updated, everything seems to work very well and sounds similar to the beta 2.

I love the new Factory cab 2Cab #57 with “4x12 MAR PR-H55 FULL”.

Fractal and OH did here a great job, it seems.

Lots of mids in this cab, not boomy like the other ( Factory cab 54/55), sweet Highs, great for the vintage Marshalls, 800 and 1959.

Singing notes with drives and a PAF-Les Paul, also Single coils guitars sound good with it.

Hey all

> 180 or so posts + 9 pages = no comparison clips ?!?!?!? :) what gives :)

Im on 6.03 and will be for a week or 2 due to shows.

But can some of you " 7.0 Final " people post some quick comparison clips of 6.03 Final -vs- 7.00 Final ?

You know the drill ........ same settings, cabs, guitars etc.... [other than FW obviously] so we can get an idea of the changes from 6.03 to 7.00 ?

As per last time, please, no grave/death/morbid/ultra-metal ... please :)

Thanks,
Ben
Forget any comparison - update, don´t wast your time. You will be convinced........

Forget any comparison - update, don´t wast your time. You will be convinced........

??? I appreciate, and to some degree understand your positiveness and enthusiasm .... and I certanly will put 7.00 Final on in a week or so to hear / decide it foir myself ....... however without some sort of "comparative" reference point it is impossible to "compare" whether FW7 is better / worse / or just different to FW6 etc.... I will do that for myself in a week or two but would be good to hear "the differnces" from others in the meantime.

All the user-base superlatives etc..... which seem to accompany every FW release are all good and nice and cute and a bit of fun etc.... but in isolation, they are meaningless.

We need clips comparing apples-to-apples as they say :)

Ben

Back
Top Bottom