Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.03 Firmware Released

Thanks again to Cliff and crew for this, and for not leaving us with older units out of the joy. I would seriously rather relinquish access to prior modeling versions to keep up on updates like this.

Side note: I believe I remember my go-to live patch using around 86% CPU previously, although I think I last checked it in Q3-Q4. Without changing anything that I'm aware of other than the firmware, it is now up over 90%. Is that expected?

just updated from 4.01 to 5.03.
absolutely great. I just spent some time on the Hook clean and crunch: brillant and tasty.
I used the Ruckus on the clean and 808 family on crunch and love the results. I can now better hear and feel the differences (texture, response) among these pedals.
Tried too the Pifuzz on the clean and just juicy as can be on a fuzz. Excellent.

so...: thanks again FAS ! Might have to say my best gear ?
BTW I sold my tube amp H&K GM36 as I spend too much time on my AFX...!

Set it where you like it.

The impetus was this:
Someone asked me to match a Kemper profile (one of the Top Jimi ones). I could not match the profile even with the Supply Sag all the way up. With the new firmware I can now match the profile with Supply Sag around 7.0. I've never encountered a real amp with that much sag so I don't know how accurate the profile is but that's the story behind it. Theoretically at maximum Supply Sag you get about 6 dB maximum compression. So at 7.0 you'd get about 4-5 dB which is huge (and I mean yuuuuuuge). I've never measured an amp that gets anywhere near that and it's usually around 1-2 dB. The worst I've seen is our 1968 100W Plexi where the sag measures about 2.4 dB.

That makes sense. Maybe it's been an amp with an underdimensioned power supply transformer. Or just a bad taken profile.
I should give these extreme values a try in the next rehearse, I don't expect such sounds to cut through, but who knows.

I'm a little jaded by this update. I have rolled back to Q5.02. (which reports as 5.01 in Axe-Edit). When I loaded the first variant of 5.03 my class A 30 -TB reported 0.75 SAG. Now I know i never touched that parameter... and now I have rolled back to 5.02 and re-applied my backup... it states 3.00 for the SAG... so did 5.02 halve or quarter my SAG parameter???? and is this a bug or is it part of the problem that caused Cliff to pull that version of code?

I'm a little jaded by this update. I have rolled back to Q5.02. (which reports as 5.01 in Axe-Edit). When I loaded the first variant of 5.03 my class A 30 -TB reported 0.75 SAG. Now I know i never touched that parameter... and now I have rolled back to 5.02 and re-applied my backup... it states 3.00 for the SAG... so did 5.02 halve or quarter my SAG parameter???? and is this a bug or is it part of the problem that caused Cliff to pull that version of code?

If I understand correctly, I believe this is the reason;

"5.03
Increased maximum amount of virtual power amp sag in Amp block. The maximum amount of sag is now twice what was previously available. Existing presets will automatically be adjusted to compensate for the increased range of the Supply Sag control, i.e. if the Supply Sag was set to 8.00 it will be adjusted down to 4.00 so as to yield the same amount of sag. High values of Supply Sag can be used to make the feel “easier” and/or replicate the behavior of other products that intentionally exaggerate compression."

Thanks Cliff. Awesome as always. Just out of curiosity I was wondering when those bass amps you were talking about modeling (Model T and another one) are going to be release. I'm super excited for the expanded selection.

v5 is very much alive....every amp I try sounds and feels stellar. Am looking forward to rehearsal tomorrow night with it big time...

Back
Top Bottom