Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Sorry, but I would understand it if the complete architecture has changed. A lack of flash memory is a design problem in my opinion. This mistake was done in the past, when the Mk1 was designed and now the users have to pay for it. Not the best regarding the reputation for a company like FAS.

Education is important in life, not just playin guitar and watching youtube. ;)

Then let people with the skill set and tools do it. Lots of cell phone repair shops that have the equipment to repair/replace surface mount IC's.

I completely understand the business/technology life cycle, but if I had a choice to spend a couple hundred dollars to extend the life of a perfectly good piece of hardware for another 3-5 years, vs. spending another $3000 CDN, the decision seems pretty clear to me.

The other possible alternative, which I mentioned already, is to boot the firmware from USB.

What firmware are you going to load on it? I highly doubt FAS will be compiling MK I/II firmware for one person... :p

...and if/when my bootrom is full, and it's time to move up to the latest unit, in 7+ years from now...I'll sell my FX XL+ and upgrade to the newest Axe!

I bet half the people complaining about the potential end of updates for the Mark I/II units didn't even buy them new - aka, haven't given FAS a dime. The Axe-FX II has come so far since its debut that I think it's probably an Axe-FX III by now, just on software alone, between Quantum and UltraRes.

Sounds great Cliff, and the Rectos are incredible now. Just how much did you change???

Hi Fractal

As someone else suggested, for Mk 1 / Mk 2 owners, couldn't future FW updates be kept up-to-date and in line with the XL / XL+ ..... if the FW had an option to check / tick to upgrade just the amps you need ?

For example, for me ........ I'd be more than happy to " de-install " all but just the amps I need and use if that freed up " rom room " so my Axe 2 could stay up-to-date in terms of FW updates for amps, cabs, bug-fixes, feature enhancements etc ......

=> is this doable / possible an option Fractal wold consider ?

-or-

=> is FW 4.x the " e.o.l " in terms of Axe 1 / Axe 2 development / upgrades ?

Either way, thanks,
Ben

The ROM is full. I even went so far several firmwares ago to write a compression/decompression routine to fit more stuff in it but now we've reached the limit.

It's really cool that you went the extra mile to squeeze as much functionality into the I/II platform as it could hold...always find this kind of service impressive indeed.

Due to the positive response I'll work on adding the Clean channel for the final release.

Thanks...judging by the reaction to that amp I'm really curious to try it out when I upgrade later next week.

Thanks FAS for all the years of awesome support. I joined the FAS Family on FW 7.00. And it was and is a great ride through all these years. Personally I would love to have amp modeling updates and can live without more amps if it's still possible on these machines. and if it can't be done, so be it. Life goes on and there will be more awesome gear from FAS. Thanks Cliff for all the efforts.

Human craving is endless. We’ve already been given tons of expensive top-notch amps for free, more than we may need on a lifetime, but yet we cry and lament with unsatisfied hunger when thinking about a ceiling.

Be careful! That’s the opposite road to happiness!! :)

I must say this comment makes my day !

Ok Andy is pissed at the moment and wrote it immediatly but i know he is a great guy...

Peace out
Marco

I purchased my first AxeFX (Ultra) just prior to the release of firmware v11.0, and right before the announcement was made for the AxeFX II coming to market. Though my timing was a bit unfortunate in purchasing the Ultra I was very pleased with the units sound and performance. I remained pleased with it for 2 years, and decided to upgrade only after hearing some demo audio of firmware v5.0 in the AxeFX II.

I purchased an AxeFX II Mk I at firmware v5.0 (mid 2012) and, as had been the case with the Ultra, I would have been satisfied if no further updates were made available after I received my AxeFX II. I'm grateful for the free updates that have been released since my purchase 2012 and, regardless what future updates bring to the Axe8 and AxeFX XL/XL+ platforms, my AxeFX II will still sound as amazing as it does today - which is on par with most of the vintage, boutique, and production amps I've owned that are represented I therein, better in some cases, and far more consistent than all of them.

Should some new feature be added (noticeably improved modeling, noticeably improved effects algorithms for those effects of which I make regular use, significantly improved pitch tracking, etc.) I'll then purchase a XL+ to gain access to such improvement(s).

I'd like to extent a big thank you to Cliff and the FAS team for all of the free updates to the AxeFX II to this date. The AxeFX II has been the single best music gear purchase I have made in my 36+ years of playing guitar. I will, no doubt, upgrade again sometime down the road with a purchase directly through Fractal Audio Systems.

One request: If at all possible please include the previously mentioned new bass amps (Sunn Coluseum and Ampeg PortaFlex, and any others that may be part of a current effort) in this last firmware. Im a bass player as well as a guitar player and have been hoping to see more bass amps in the AxeFX. The PortaFlex is of particular interest to me (I can get close with the SV Bass model but it's not quite there).

Again, thank for the amazing tones! :)

Last edited:
Well.... It's been a few minutes since I updated. About those new amps -
WOW
about the drive changes - \WOW - this is the first time I have just dropped a drive block into a preset and enjoyed it... Fantastic
Thanks
Pauly

Yeah, another vote for "de-installing" unused amps if it makes room in the rom for future algorithm upgrades.

As much as i enjoy flicking through and toying with amps, reality is that i can get by with just a handful.

Fingers crossed!

I use Recto2 for one of my guitars. The Presence is now much more usable. Still need to be conservative with it, but that's like the real thing ;)

Back
Top Bottom