Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Mark 2 user here…still only scratching the surface….and always big thanks to Cliff and the FAS team for all the FREE fm updates over the years.
Time for Axe-fx 3, right Cliff?

Is there a reason why the boot ROM can't be replaced?
It's in the motherboard. This is not a job you do at home with whatever is available, that can then be supported by Fractal. Too many variables, a wide variability in users skills. Solid state hardware product life cycles are like that.

Except for bug fixes and Quantum revs, right? I have far more amps than I can possibly use as it is.

Maybe a new paradigm where the base FW is in there with an app that we can use to selectively flash it with a list of amps we want in the box maybe "check the boxes" and flash the FW with just the amps I want to use, and it can tell me how much room I have left.

That's the greatest trick you could pull to mitigate the issue.

I agree. There are a good number of amps in the unit now that it's unlikely I'll ever use, while there are some not represented that would be nice to have. A menu-driven firmware install like you describe would take care of the space issue by not wasting what space there is, and make the whole unit more personally useful.

On the other hand, there are those folks for whom firmware installs may be expecting a bit more than they want or are able to deal with. So, then what? Custom order form at purchase time? Pick one from column A, one from column B ordering like a Chinese menu for amps/cabs/SFX? There's a pain in the shorts I'm sure Fractal isn't interested in.

Yes, it does for all practical purposes. It puts replacement out of the skill set of most people.

We can walk on the moon, but that doesn't mean everyone gets to do it, now does it?

I could replace mine, I have wonderful soldering skills and a nice setup to do those types of jobs:)

I'm just spitballing here, and I'm sure this has been considered, but would it be possible to use the preset backup memory in the mk 1/2 models to store the code and just have a boot loader in the boot ROM to load the code?

I've never used that memory for backup myself since I'm saving everything to my PC.

Anyway, now I have a perfect excuse to save up for an XL plus and MFC bundle.

honestly, having finally updated and tried out existing patches? I'm cool leaving it off here (though I would love to keep the new amps coming...). Everything sounds so great, I'm able to get tones I would rarely get in the analog realm, from amps I would NEVER have in the analog realm, and I'm able to record them into my music from the comfort of my bedroom. Yeah I'm upset that this is the end of the road but it's not like that road put us up a creek without a paddle so I can't in good conscious complain, just me though

It puts replacement out of the skill set of most people.

Then let people with the skill set and tools do it. Lots of cell phone repair shops that have the equipment to repair/replace surface mount IC's.

I completely understand the business/technology life cycle, but if I had a choice to spend a couple hundred dollars to extend the life of a perfectly good piece of hardware for another 3-5 years, vs. spending another $3000 CDN, the decision seems pretty clear to me.

The other possible alternative, which I mentioned already, is to boot the firmware from USB.

Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/4.0/axefx2_Quantum_4p01beta.syx

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/4.0/axefx2_xl_Quantum_4p01beta.syx

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/4.0/axefx2_xlplus_Quantum_4p01beta.syx

Release Notes:

Added “Legato 100” amp model based on a certain famous Carvin Legacy 100.

Added “Capt Hook” amp models based on a Hook Captain Classic 34. This amp uses a mu follower which yields a complex distortion with smooth decay. The “Rhy” model is based on channel 2 and the “Lead” model is based on channel 3. Both channels are modeled with the Edge switch on and the Boost switch off. To simulate the Boost switch use the Boost switch in the amp block as it has the same amount of gain.

Improved diode clipping algorithms in Drive block.

Fixed tone stack error in Recto 2 amp models.

Changed Presence knob taper in Recto1 Norm and Recto2 Vntg models to match actual amps.

Changed behavior of Amp block’s Preamp Comp when set to “Ideal” so that compression amount is roughly the same as when set to “Authentic”. If you are using the Ideal setting on a preset you may need to increase the Preamp Comp parameter value.
Suggestion on a cab to pair the Hook with?

Assuming there are modelling updates in the future and they make their way to the AX8, it would probably be pretty counter intuitive for a large number of Axe FX 2s to have inferior modelling to the AX8. Just a thought...

I was on the original wait list and had to wait 7 months before I got my Axe Mk1. There have been so many updates since I bought mine. And Fractal voluntarily kept two firmware paths updated for the last couple of years (MarkI/II and XL/XL+). This takes work and effort. Back in the day I bought a Line 6 Axsys 212. The promise from line 6 was that it was their flagship product and would be supported for years. I got one update that I had to pay for. For my $99.00 there were limited new amps and effects in that firmware update (it's been 20 years so I don't remember exactly what changed, other than the knobs and the face plate).

Memory is cheaper now than it was 6 - 7 years ago when the Axe Mk1 was in design phase. If I bought a MkI/IIused because I wanted to save some bucks then I could imagine being disgruntled, even though I don't think disgruntlement is warranted. Nobody likes to be on the tail end of an incredible deal.

What we Fractal Supporters have is an INCREDIBLE deal. Most of us know this, especially if we've been around for a while. Those who don't, well, there isn't much to say, except sell now to get top dollar for your MarkI/II and then upgrade to an AX8 or an XL+.

I love my AX8. :)

Then let people with the skill set and tools do it. Lots of cell phone repair shops that have the equipment to repair/replace surface mount IC's.

I completely understand the business/technology life cycle, but if I had a choice to spend a couple hundred dollars to extend the life of a perfectly good piece of hardware for another 3-5 years, vs. spending another $3000 CDN, the decision seems pretty clear to me.
Nothing stopping you from going for it. Report back on on how it works out for you?

Sorry, but I would understand it if the complete architecture has changed. A lack of flash memory is a design problem in my opinion. This mistake was done in the past, when the Mk1 was designed and now the users have to pay for it. Not the best regarding the reputation for a company like FAS.
Guess you need a 101 lesson in technology...AND economics.

Back
Top Bottom