Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Numero Tres

I have to say, Cliff and team have made the updates much MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH smoother over the years, and easier, and the tones from the Axe are MUCH MUCH easier to get over the years as well... So I want to add a huge thank you to Cliff and the team you guys are the best imho...

Big improvement with the Fenders, and I don't know if anything changed with the brits, but I dialed in a JCM800 tone where I switched the power section to KT66'es, with a tubescreamer in front (0 drive, 100% level) that I couldn't stop playing for hours. So chewy! I tried the new 100W plexi too, and that's also killer. Gotta check out the Carol-Ann, spent all my time riffing with the new patches I made.

I made a patch with some Rectos too, but I didn't care for them too much (never have in real life either, so no surprise there). I just heard they were improved a lot but still not my cup of tea. No big deal, the Marshalls sound great and so do the Friedmans, and its great to have improvement on the Fender cleans. Great product, great updates! Now get those AX-8's shipping!

I absolutely love the updates as they happen and how Cliff, "works it baby !" I can take the updates or leave them as I may... but Q.2.00b3 absolutely slays !... Q.2.00b was soooo last week... :D

After the latest couple of updates, I finally understand why people love the Mesa Rectifiers, I just didn't get it before but I do now!

So I got to give Q2.0b3 a blast at rehearsal last night through my Matrix GT1000FX/NL212 setup and all I can say is WOW. The feel and dynamics are amazing...it feels so alive. Rolling back the volume on the guitar on some of my high gain presets cleaned the sounds up beautifully and so naturally...it was bliss.

I didn't get a chance to work through all amp sims, but the Mr Z MZ-38 and Friedman BE really captured my ears last night. I'm sure others will as I work my way through them all.

Thank you FAS!

I know not everyone likes Satriani's tone, but once he's satisfied with his modeled amps, you can lock that software AFAIC. -cp

<snip> Rolling back the volume on the guitar on some of my high gain presets cleaned the sounds up beautifully and so naturally...it was bliss.

</snip>

Thank you FAS!

Many others, incl. myself have noticed this, and my questions is "why"?

I do like to learn the details behind what makes things tick - is this something that can be explained why this is so improved? It's old school in some sense, but the fact that the magic black box can replicate this is superb!

I do like to learn the details behind what makes things tick - is this something that can be explained why this is so improved? It's old school in some sense, but the fact that the magic black box can replicate this is superb!

I'd be curious, too. But my guess is that that would fall into the category of stuff that Cliff can't reveal, 'cuz it's proprietary. He's indicated as much about several other recent improvements.

Is the question "why", or "how"? If it's why, it's because tube amps act that way. If it's how, then I doubt you'll get a reply. It's part of what sets FAS apart from other modelers.

Woot, ultrares2? Does the ultra res 2 change something in the capture process or just the cablab mix results? In other words, should I go to the studio to shoot irs now or in march?

Last edited:
I was curious about that too, so I reset the amp block in one of the factory presets. It was one of the USA Lead models and all the parameters I mentioned in my post on page 6 of this thread changed to their new default values. So no, they apparently didn't automatically update with the installation of this firmware. Maybe it has to do with this firmware being a beta and when the final 2.00 comes out, the amps will then all update, I don't know.

Changing the location of the factory presets wouldn't have any bearing on whether or not the amps automatically update.

Any official word on this?

The new equations are based on actual tube curves rather that theoretical equations. I don't think we can get any more accurate than that
Perhaps the answer lies here? ^^^

I've always heard this quality in the way tube amps react to playing dynamics, which I never quite found in the Axe-fx until Q2.0b3 came along. I know some people are not hearing major changes with this release, but after last night, for me this FW really feels great. I was all over those cleaned up tones like flies round a fresh turd. A bit of atmospheric delay and verb thrown in just added to the euphoria

Perhaps the answer lies here? ^^^

I've always heard this quality in the way tube amps react to playing dynamics, which I never quite found in the Axe-fx until Q2.0b3 came along. I know some people are not hearing major changes with this release, but after last night, for me this FW really feels great. I was all over those cleaned up tones like flies round a fresh turd. A bit of atmospheric delay and verb thrown in just added to the euphoria

Funny some do not notice! With Power Mesa 2:90 and real cabs changed much.
No need to adjust Adv settings and dynamically it's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom