Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

Helpful thread in that it kept me from updating before a couple of gigs this weekend; I won't have time to reset levels and such on patches.

Interesting debate about the degree of change, too. I am as skeptical as anyone I know, and I know more about cognitive and perceptual biases than most. But I have to say that ever since around FW17, I have been just really, really happy. Changes aren't always drastic across the board, but I hear and feel improvements in general and consistently. Quantum kind of got me to a point where I really stopped worrying about authenticity and started relishing how in some ways individual models are better than the amp (flexibility, tweakableness, no risk of high-voltage death)...plus I have LOTS of amps to play with! Between this and the great cabinet IRs I'm finding, I am one happy camper.

Serious kudos to all at Fractal for this achievement, and for keeping a lot of people pretty darn amazed.

Who want's Beta Three? I fixed the crackling Drive issue and also found that I forgot to initialize one of the feedforward filters for all the Mesa Mark models.

7VQYfmD.jpg

Crackle NOT okay!

Who want's Beta Three? I fixed the crackling Drive issue and also found that I forgot to initialize one of the feedforward filters for all the Mesa Mark models.
Would you give me a quick rundown on what the feedforward filters do tone-wise/feel-wise to the Boogie Mark models? I'm curious because I owned and played a MKII C+ for years as well as a MKV (and the TriAxis rig you already know about). Additionally, I've owned and played the old Studio Preamps for years.

Gracias, Cliff!
R

It's just people getting super hyped about the unit, man. Not much more. Like I said, many people are probably just hearing the amps louder as there is a volume increase with this fw, and they are assuming "huge" differences.

People have been saying this unit sounds 100% since fw one. People also say they can't hear the difference between a mic on a cab and an IR in the axe. People also say they can't hear the difference between long and short IRs. People can't hear the difference between a direct recorded axe and a pro studio recorded live amp, but somehow... They hear massive differences when there's an update. But it was 100% before...

It's just people getting hyped up.
Not this old line again! The Axe has always been cutting edge and leading the way! The edge is just moving forward! Excitement over how extremely great this continues to get is hard to put into words that convey the emotions of gratification! It 'is' already way beyond real as we can now all not only experience but virtually customize rigs that would take hundreds of thousands of dollars and a team of amp technicians years to assemble and do it in minutes for a fraction of the cost plus have it all ready to go at a moments notice! I would say, "10,000% real" to convey the gratification I get from this Magic Box!

Would you give me a quick rundown on what the feedforward filters do tone-wise/feel-wise to the Boogie Mark models? I'm curious because I owned and played a MKII C+ for years as well as a MKV (and the TriAxis rig you already know about). Additionally, I've owned and played the old Studio Preamps for years.

Gracias, Cliff!
R

I'm sorry but that is proprietary knowledge.

Bring it on! If it is released then I am glad I didn't have a chance to install 1 or 2 which is ironic because I have been jonesing to install 2.0b.

Sounds awful, spitty, without the risk of being banished by the almighty's around here, very not tight. load it up and listen.

You just need to lower the master volume to 3.5 and it sounds great. At 5 which it defaults to it does not sound that great, but lower the MV and its sounds fantastic. Hope this helps.

The Fender amps are just PERFECT now! You can hear all five positions on a Strat now like its five different guitars. The most impressive software update in a long time. Cliff, you maniac! You never give up trying to make this product better.

Improved cathode bias algorithm for “Class-A” amp models (i.e. Class-A 30W, AC-20 Dlx, etc). In conjunction with this the Cathode Squish parameter has been repurposed as “Cathode Bias” and controls the value of a virtual cathode resistor. A value of 50% is “optimum” and biases the power tubes at true Class A operation (neglecting any bias shifting due to supply sag, screen droop, etc.). Values greater than 50% increase the resistance and therefore bias the power tubes “colder”. Values less than 50% bias the tubes beyond Class A. In a real amp this would probably destroy the tubes but that limitation does not exist in our virtual amp. Most real amps of this type actually operate far below Class A and the default values for the models will reflect this. Note that the Power Tube Bias value should be set to 1.00 for these amp types (since that parameter controls the grid voltage and the grid voltage is at a maximum in these types of amps). Existing presets will be automatically updated with new default Cathode Bias and Power Tube Bias values.

I was wondering about this. Should the CATHODE SQUISH automatically change to 50%? Looking at a preset which uses "Class-A 30WTB," when I look at the CATH SQ it is currently 59%. If I re select the amp model it changes to 70%. Is this doing what it is supposed to do? I wouldn't even care but I notice that my "Class A" presets sound now sound very dark and boomy--but better after re selecting the amp model. Is that what needs to be done for each preset using a Class A model? Should it actually be 50%? Or should I just change the value to 50% by hand in the first place?

I was wondering about this. Should the CATHODE SQUISH automatically change to 50%? Looking at a preset which uses "Class-A 30WTB," when I look at the CATH SQ it is currently 59%. If I re select the amp model it changes to 70%. Is this doing what it is supposed to do? I wouldn't even care but I notice that my "Class A" presets sound now sound very dark and boomy--but better after re selecting the amp model. Is that what needs to be done for each preset using a Class A model? Should it actually be 50%? Or should I just change the value to 50% by hand in the first place?

70% is the new default value.

Back
Top Bottom