Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

Eddie runs his around 3-4 (5153). not sure if that's the tone you're going for and like someone else stated, the MV doesn't translate 1:1, but that seems to be the sweetspot to the guy who "made" that amp.

i'm not sure how metal guys run 5150s actually lol. But it's good to know eddie's settings as a starting point, thanks! i tend to like big, thick growly metal tones. I'm not into surgical crystal clear cutting tones like a lot of modern metal guys seem to like. I like it a little rough around the edges and mean.

…you have to love made up words people like me use to describe tones hahah.

What's wrong with v13? There's already a "divided by 13" amp model. Are we that superstitious?

I’m staying at a hotel right now, there’s no 13th floor because of superstition. But come on man, the people on the 14th floor, you know what floor you’re really on. If you jump out of the 14th floor hoping to kill yourself, you will die earlier.

from a marketing perspective I encourage you to consider incrementing this version by a major number, perhaps to 14? Going from 12.03 to 12.04 understates the significance

What's wrong with v13? There's already a "divided by 13" amp model. Are we that superstitious?

I don't personally have an issue with "13". However, Cliff mentioned earlier in the thread a reluctance to use 13, so "14" seems like the next best thing. :D

Terry.

Question for the FAS crew : Do you get feedback from your artists on the updates as to the sound quality or whether they are using them? I'm just curious if guys like Chris Broderick, Steve Stevens, Guthrie Govan, etc. are geeking out on it as much as the forum members.

My personal feedback on the beta is no issues to report and it still sounds great(erer).

I think a lot of the big name artists are more reluctant to upgrade than most of us. Some of it is due to tour scheduling and not having time to test things out...others operating on an "I like it now, why change?" perspective. Could be wrong...but on average most interviews I've seen/read that involve big name players and the Axe it usually comes down to this. There are a lot out there still using the Ultra because they haven't found time to dial in the IIs yet.

I think a lot of the big name artists are more reluctant to upgrade than most of us. Some of it is due to tour scheduling and not having time to test things out...others operating on an "I like it now, why change?" perspective. Could be wrong...but on average most interviews I've seen/read that involve big name players and the Axe it usually comes down to this. There are a lot out there still using the Ultra because they haven't found time to dial in the IIs yet.

IMHO - I think it's directly proportional to the amount of tweaking it took to get to their signature sound .... The more it took in the previous firmware, the less likely they'd be to update right away. To me that's the beauty of the evolving firmware ..., more firmwares equal less tweaking ....

Question for the FAS crew : Do you get feedback from your artists on the updates as to the sound quality or whether they are using them? I'm just curious if guys like Chris Broderick, Steve Stevens, Guthrie Govan, etc. are geeking out on it as much as the forum members.

My personal feedback on the beta is no issues to report and it still sounds great(erer).

Good question! Will Metallica be using 12.04b at the Grammys? :)

IMHO - I think it's directly proportional to the amount of tweaking it took to get to their signature sound .... The more it took in the previous firmware, the less likely they'd be to update right away. To me that's the beauty of the evolving firmware ..., more firmwares equal less tweaking ....

Very true. That's if some of them are even doing the tweaking themselves.
I'll be loading everything up tonight to give it a good run through before a few gigs this weekend.

I think a lot of the big name artists are more reluctant to upgrade than most of us. Some of it is due to tour scheduling and not having time to test things out...others operating on an "I like it now, why change?" perspective.

This came up in another thread and Matt said we'd be surprised at when some of the pros install new version, such as during soundcheck right before a show.

Terry.

Hey

Is that MV ,master volume in amp block settings? Or where Is that MV settings? Many users have tweaking that ,and would be nice to try that then. And I was have 5150 I was use 3,5/10 master level always ,in metal and 80`s rock. And biggest thing what I was found ,was presence to 8/10 my ear that was give good results.

i'm not sure how metal guys run 5150s actually lol. But it's good to know eddie's settings as a starting point, thanks! i tend to like big, thick growly metal tones. I'm not into surgical crystal clear cutting tones like a lot of modern metal guys seem to like. I like it a little rough around the edges and mean.

…you have to love made up words people like me use to describe tones hahah.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom