Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

Holy_Shitballs_EDIT_1.jpg

I am fairly new to the Fractal world. For some reason it just was not on my radar. I was playing a Vetta II.... I laid back in the weeds for months trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Sold almost everything that did not have strings on it. Jumped in at a great time. Everyone on the forum has been very helpful. I am now playing more that I have in years & enjoying it. Recording way more stuff. The ultimate praise..... When my wife asks who is that? And I can say... " Huh... That's me Babe"... Believe it or not I actually spend less time tinkering with the tone because I am getting better tones than I ever have in my life. I am blown away that I can get the recorded sounds I am without blowing the house up with volume & mics. It is a deep unit but I find it to be very user friendly & love the Axe Edit possibilities. I am not a slappy & I know that nothing is ever as good as you want it to be... But this is damn close....

When they use 12.04B, however, will they be using the AMP/CAB sims, or will they be using effects only, and using tube amps/cabs?

When the non beta version of 12.04 comes out will you have updated the optimal Spk Page values for each of the Amp Sims?

I've tweaked a few but most will remain the same. The default values are based on measurements of the cab most commonly associated with that amp. I just happen to like it a bit higher on the 5150 models. This would be akin to putting different speakers in your cab or trying a different cab that have a higher resonance.

Don't obsess over default values. The parameters are there for you to adjust and enjoy. What I like is not necessarily what someone else will like.

Why it is different from the front panel to the software is beyond me.
Because they haven't figured out how to have Axe-Edit add new parameters to its interface automagically. How do you get a program to add knobs and buttons to its interface by itself? Have you ever seen software that does that? How does it decide where it should put those interface items and how they should look and what they should control and have that go bugfree? If you know, please tell Fractal.

Software has to be adapted for new parameters. It does pull new definitions of the parameters it already knows from the AxeFx, like new models of amps and effects. That's a pretty big leap already. But knobs that weren't there before? That's way hard.

I do think it's taking them a while to get the 12.03 parameters out. It used to be inside of a week to get a new AE. Possibly it's quite a job to incorporate the new parameters. Possibly they're waiting for something else to drop so they don't have to release new EA's every week... And with Cliff on a roll like now...
Maybe Axe-Manage is almost ready?..

So. As someone said: New parameters will indeed not be in Axe Edit until Fractal releases an updated version of it.

Because they haven't figured out how to have Axe-Edit add new parameters to its interface automagically. How do you get a program to add knobs and buttons to its interface by itself? Have you ever seen software that does that? How does it decide where it should put those interface items and how they should look and what they should control and have that go bugfree? If you know, please tell Fractal.

Software has to be adapted for new parameters. It does pull new definitions of the parameters it already knows from the AxeFx, like new models of amps and effects. That's a pretty big leap already. But knobs that weren't there before? That's way hard.

I do think it's taking them a while to get the 12.03 parameters out. It used to be inside of a week to get a new AE. Possibly it's quite a job to incorporate the new parameters. Possibly they're waiting for something else to drop so they don't have to release new EA's every week... And with Cliff on a roll like now...
Maybe Axe-Manage is almost ready?..

So. As someone said: New parameters will indeed not be in Axe Edit until Fractal releases an updated version of it.

That's not what I meant at all. The layout on the front panel is different than in Axe Edit. The post that I replied to asked why he can't find the advanced page in Axe Edit. The reason is, it's not there! I also said new parameters will not show up in Axe Edit until it is updated.

I've tweaked a few but most will remain the same. The default values are based on measurements of the cab most commonly associated with that amp. I just happen to like it a bit higher on the 5150 models. This would be akin to putting different speakers in your cab or trying a different cab that have a higher resonance.

Don't obsess over default values. The parameters are there for you to adjust and enjoy. What I like is not necessarily what someone else will like.

Understood.
Thanks for the reply.

The new firmware sounds good to me, but it always sounds good.
I'm not noticing the new Nirvana feel in my presets much though.
Does this have more of a noticeable effect on presets that involve power amp sim breakup rather than non-master-vol amps being played with a clean a tone?

The only preset I use that involves simulated power tube break up is a bluesy Deluxe sound I use.
But even with that preset I'm not noticing much difference from before even if I crank the lo res level.
This is true through my CLRs or my Matrix-EV-12L rig.
Maybe it's because the default lo-res-freq of 65hz is so low to begin with and the low E on guitar is well above that?

My other non-master-vol-amp-based presets are just clean Doubleverb tones.
So although the Master parameter is cranked I'm not really inducing any power amp sim breakup.

All my gainy presets are based on Mesa MK Series amps and don't involve power tube breakup.

i immediately noticed the difference on my clean double verb preset. no distortion at all, but the MV is at 10 (very low input trim or whatever it's called now haha).

but the tone is just so full and tube-y?! definitely the 3d thing people are saying. then switching to the bludojai amp, WOW. crazy.

i'm guessing that low MV settings won't exhibit too much of the change, but it's definitely there. the highs are more contained, lows are tighter etc. for me.

will be reamping later this evening for a new project that's just dropped into the studio
I'll be making new presets just for this one..
the perfect opportunity to goof with MV etc etc settings

should be interesting

That's not what I meant at all. The layout on the front panel is different than in Axe Edit. The post that I replied to asked why he can't find the advanced page in Axe Edit. The reason is, it's not there! I also said new parameters will not show up in Axe Edit until it is updated.

Well I would hate for Axe-Edit to look exactly like the LCD screen and front panel of the unit itself. Axe-Edit is meant to me a more intuitive GUI to build presets with, import/export presets, work with blocks, etc. I personally have always hated effects units for the tiny little screens that I have to spend a lot of time interpreting. It wasn't until the advent of units with accompanying desktop software like Axe-Edit and 11 Rack before that, that I really was able to identify with these boxes.

That said maybe it would be a good idea for future AE versions to include a window that duplicates the fron panel/ LCD screen, so you have access to all possible controls that are available at the time, all on one screen without having to shift back and forth between the unit and the PC/Mac/whatever.

Add that to the AE Wishlist. This stuff gets better and does what we want it to do because we supply constructive input and the company is receptive to good ideas.

These folks actually listen.

Ah! Sorry.
I know you said that last thing. I copied it. :)

Advanced used to be a page with knobs and buttons you don't have on the real amp. Then there came more of those so they became two pages. Now there are so many the advanced pages they got their own names. The reverb still has an advanced page.

Why things are differently laid out in the frontpanel and AE is mainly a real estate thing. There is just a small screen on the Axe and a large one on the computer.

Long ago the tabs in AE matched the front panel. At that time AE was mostly a JAVA app and it was possible and even encouraged to skin and mod the app. Some more nerdlike users went and modded AE to get as much parameters on one page as they could to improve overview and workflow. Other users were highly enthousiastic about it and at some moment Fractal even polled us if we would prefer conformity or less pages. We chose less pages and faster workflow, that was what I think Chris meant.

Reactions: ALE

The front panel is extremely limited in the amount of information it can display and how it can provide that information to the user. The editor does not suffer these constraints and we therefore used this freedom to present the parameters in a way which we felt was more intuitive and useful.

The new firmware sounds good to me, but it always sounds good.
I'm not noticing the new Nirvana feel in my presets much though.

Joe, have you reset the amp sim?

I didn't hear any difference after upgrading on Monday. Last night I temporarily changed the existing sim in the Amp block to a new one, and then back again. The difference after doing this was immediately noticeable over my in-ears. I found the same improvement with cleans (Carr, Twin) as with my 50W Marshall patch.

Terry.

Reactions: ALE
Back
Top Bottom