Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

Joe, have you reset the amp sim?

I didn't hear any difference after upgrading on Monday. Last night I temporarily changed the existing sim in the Amp block to a new one, and then back again. The difference after doing this was immediately noticeable over my in-ears. I found the same improvement with cleans (Carr, Twin) as with my 50W Marshall patch.

Terry.

I've experimented with resetting the Amp Sim but didn't notice any real difference so I didn't store it.
I'll try to spend some more time later with all of this.
Really haven't yet given it much time.

Joe, have you reset the amp sim?

I didn't hear any difference after upgrading on Monday. Last night I temporarily changed the existing sim in the Amp block to a new one, and then back again. The difference after doing this was immediately noticeable over my in-ears. I found the same improvement with cleans (Carr, Twin) as with my 50W Marshall patch.

Terry.

Hi, maybe I missed it, but don't recall Cliff saying that we needed to reset the amp sim with this firmware.

Is this the generally accepted consensus?

So is there a new parameter for adjusting the speakers everyone is using? That part of this update is slightly confusing to me.

The front panel is extremely limited in the amount of information it can display and how it can provide that information to the user. The editor does not suffer these constraints and we therefore used this freedom to present the parameters in a way which we felt was more intuitive and useful.

I understand the front panel being much more limited as to what can go there. I guess since I very rarely use Axe Edit (for a number of reasons), when I do, it doesn't feel intuitive because I am so used to certain parameters being on pages with different names than what is is Axe Edit. No big deal & not trying to complain. More of an observation, consistency thing. Anyway, loving 12.04b!

Understood.
Thanks for the reply.

The new firmware sounds good to me, but it always sounds good.
I'm not noticing the new Nirvana feel in my presets much though.
Does this have more of a noticeable effect on presets that involve power amp sim breakup rather than non-master-vol amps being played with a clean a tone?

The only preset I use that involves simulated power tube break up is a bluesy Deluxe sound I use.
But even with that preset I'm not noticing much difference from before even if I crank the lo res level.
This is true through my CLRs or my Matrix-EV-12L rig.
Maybe it's because the default lo-res-freq of 65hz is so low to begin with and the low E on guitar is well above that?

My other non-master-vol-amp-based presets are just clean Doubleverb tones.
So although the Master parameter is cranked I'm not really inducing any power amp sim breakup.

All my gainy presets are based on Mesa MK Series amps and don't involve power tube breakup.

Have you reset your amps? (Switched amp and then back) Not much happened to my presets until that was done. Many of my low master volume presets change a lot imo.

Sorry if I'm late to the party but I've been so happy leveling small villages and sounding awesome while doing it ... thanks Cliff, you've really outdone yourself here. Traditional cabs and FRFR both sound great.

Personally, I went with Cliff's prod to "Turn up the MV" and it gets quite different up there then in past FW's. It feels and sounds more like a full stack at studio level now that you can hit the MV higher. IMHO it opens up better w/o the flub. Each amp is different as far as where you can hit the MV, but it is a noticeable mod. This along with the guitar volume can give quite a dynamic range. Then cranking the LF Res to 7-8 gets the speaker to flavor more like my Eminence Red Fangs - Now it's time to re evaluate some IRs.
This is a positive FW specific to enhancing tone and FEEL rather than new amps - it adds to the feel of the amps already inside.

...sorry MV is Master Volume or what...??? thx

Personally, I went with Cliff's prod to "Turn up the MV" and it gets quite different up there then in past FW's. It feels and sounds more like a full stack at studio level now that you can hit the MV higher. IMHO it opens up better w/o the flub. Each amp is different as far as where you can hit the MV, but it is a noticeable mod. This along with the guitar volume can give quite a dynamic range. Then cranking the LF Res to 7-8 gets the speaker to flavor more like my Eminence Red Fangs - Now it's time to re evaluate some IRs.
This is a positive FW specific to enhancing tone and FEEL rather than new amps - it adds to the feel of the amps already inside.

Fully agree. Those two adjustments to MV and Low Res have exactly the same auditory sensation that I hear when I open up the power section on my Road King. It really is nirvana to be able to do this in the digital world and save my ears!

I think that maybe some folks haven't yet reset their amp blocks for a few previous firmware updates and maybe that's what they're hearing when they do it now. ??

That's an interesting theory. I have no idea if it's true or not, but fwiw I did NOT reset my amp sims during the last update (12.03). I did however, immediately hear a difference after installing that last update (12.03). In contrast, after I updated to 12.04b I heard no change until I reset the amp sims. That was the case with every patch I tried.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom