Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

So I didn't upload FW 12.04 on my anniversary (much better idea to wait until this morning). The "feel" and envelope of the low end is much improved, and the 3D quality that everybody is talking about really comes through in a mix. It's like the guitars are way less directional and when double tracked give it a nice wide feel. Also, is it just me, or did the highs get a little nicer as well?

So, I haven't had a chance to play with the new fw yet. Has anyone gotten to a point of abandoning aftermarket IRs in favor of the stock ones, and just compensating with all the tonal options in the box?

There is a definite improvement in the sound of many of the ir's, at least to my ears.

In China, 4 is unlucky number (pronounced similar to "death") also 14 since if you pronounce the "1" and "4" it will be like "yao" "si" = want die/death.

so in China there are no floors 4, 14, 24 etc... sometimes the 13 is left out too...

15? ;)

V13.14 - I'm not afraid..... Pull me..... sorry been listening to old dream theatre lately :p

There is a definite improvement in the sound of many of the ir's, at least to my ears.

HA! There it is - right in the OP. Sometimes my brain doesn't brain right. Really digging the improvement this has made to my bass presets. Lots more thump without the yucky mud. Lots more sizzle on the grit without the unfortunate side effect of sounding like I'm scraping keys across the strings. Good job, Cliff! Every time there is a new FW, it's like I feel better about not having recorded my album yet! :D

Yes, playing up above the 17th fret on the high E sounds really good now on my existing patches. One of my Tele's would choke a bit up there, even after fret work ... now it sings. Weird.

Bumped all my preset's Low Res up to 6.5 ... very nice, as advertised no flub. I automaitcally cut it to 5 for every preset, to keep in line with what comes over the PA.

Yes, playing up above the 17th fret on the high E sounds really good now on my existing patches. One of my Tele's would choke a bit up there, even after fret work ... now it sings. Weird.

Bumped all my preset's Low Res up to 6.5 ... very nice, as advertised no flub. I automaitcally cut it to 5 for every preset, to keep in line with what comes over the PA.

yea, I find I'm pretty consistently setting Low Res between 6-7 it seems to be the golden zone for me

By the way the Diezel Herbert CH3 is amazing. I never really liked it before, but in my main dual amp preset with the 5153 and Herbert panned left/right it's the tone i've always been trying to find. Clear as a bell and crushing. Unreal. I suspect there's going to be a lot of activity in the "for sale" section lol.

After reading the comments this FW almost sounds like Cliff, added the "UltraRes" in without telling anyone. Maybe?
Will be checking this out later. Thanks in advance Cliff!!

Got to play for 20-30 minutes last night with the new firmware. Sounds really good!! I must say though, i picked the mesa recto to play around with and turning the preamp sag on/off didnt seem to change anything. I also barely noticed a difference, if any, in changing the power tube type. Is it just me? I guess I don't care, it really does sound better. The bass is much more fun to mess with now.

two major improvements for me:
1) because of the more controlled (so increasable) low end region, i began to like the owhnammer impulses very much. i always found them too thin, and switched to some impulses which were like that they were taken with a blanket on the cab. now oh ir's are so powerful in the low end region and crisp at the same time.
2) i'm in less of a need to use the room parameter in the cab block. the tone is very much alive by itself while room is at 0.0. this will help in high gain recording a lot..

I'm a multiple drive pedals into a clean amp kind of guy. for my Dumble and matchless Dc30 I maxed out the Low res to 10 on both, Boo yah!!!, it sounds Incredible loud. I raised the Supply Sag a little bit, as well.

By the way the Diezel Herbert CH3 is amazing. I never really liked it before, but in my main dual amp preset with the 5153 and Herbert panned left/right it's the tone i've always been trying to find. Clear as a bell and crushing. Unreal. I suspect there's going to be a lot of activity in the "for sale" section lol.

Yesss! I noticed this last night as well , this amp model really sounds good now

Although I can't understand the fear of 13 in this modern age, wouldn't it be cool to instead have names for the major upgrades? Little bit like Android or Intel processors have names for different versions...
Imagine: The new firmware " Holy Shitballs" is now available for download.
Well, if there are some more epiphanies nearly ready to be hatched, like UltraRes, it would be an option to call this one 13.0 and rush on into 14.0 for the release of the next one (With UltraRes?)...

Disclaimer: I couldn't care less it the final FW to never get replaced would be called FW 13.x. Not superstitious at all. Although I sure hope improvements will keep coming! ;)

Agreed. That's where I'm setting it. For amps like 5150 I'm up to around 8-9 though.

interesting, I'll give that a go on the 5153 and see what it feels like. I'm just curious where you are ending up on the 5150ish models with the master setting? Im around 5 at the moment

Back
Top Bottom