Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.01 Public Beta (1)

I wonder is de-phase might become a Cablab feature where you apply it once and save the IR. You could keep the feature on the AXE for experimentation purposes and when you find what you like you could apply it one and re-save the IR with the processing applied. Just a thought.

That would be great, and would probably give a second life to old IRs...

Note to self : try "dephase" with those IRs made from Tonematch captures which have a slight "phasey" sounds (it's often the case)

Would that be different from the smooth function of the tm block?? Looks like the concept is the same, just my guess

the higher the resolution the more high frequency you get. more digital information
Resolution doesn't change frequency response; it changes accuracy of amplitude and possibly SNR, but the sample rate isn't changed so the high end is unaffected. Of course none of this stuff is 100% independent.

As for my take on the whole dephase thing based on some small application that it's just like any other parameter in the AxeFXII; just dial it in to what sounds good and sometimes it isn't needed. I tried it on several of my go to patches and moderate (like 2-4) helped to tighten things up and sounded more focused, but on other patches, especially ones where I had used CabLab to really dial in a specific IR I preferred it off or extremely low. It's not that it wasn't working, but those patches and cabs were tweaked to how I liked them.

Curious to know for anyone who's compared, but the pres in the cab were what I've been using to get that IR clarity or "punch". I've used the bipolar on high gain and the Tape 50 on middish gain. For those testing the dephase, have any of you compared with one method or the other? Are you using both? The other thing I think about is CPU usage. The high quality pres take up some CPU for sure.

So do I need to make sure I have a Degree in Physics before I download this beta?

I don't know whether I should get the beta or split the atom......

You don't need a degree in physics. But seriously: if you're uncomfortable running firmware that's not production release, just don't. No harm in waiting until there's a release that you're comfortable with available.

So do I need to make sure I have a Degree in Physics before I download this beta?

I don't know whether I should get the beta or split the atom......

Turn a knob until it sounds good, then stop. You don't need a degree in physics, you simply need your own two ears.

I don't know technically how half the controls work, but I know what sounds good, and that is really all that matters.

From Sound On Sound (seems appropriate for folks who are questioning if dephase would actually do anything on a single mic capture):

Phase Considerations For Single-mic Recordings

Given that sound takes roughly a millisecond to travel a foot, it's easy to see how recording the same instrument with more than one mic can quickly lead to phase-cancellation problems if the mics are at different distances from the sound source. However, even if all we ever did in the studio was record with a single mic, phase cancellation would still affect our recording because of the way sound reflects from solid surfaces such as walls. For example, if you close-mic an electric guitar cabinet, a significant minority of the sound picked up will actually be reflections from the floor. If the distance from the cabinet's speaker cone is only six inches, and the floor is a foot below the mic, the direct and reflected sounds of the cone will meet at the mic capsule with around 1.5ms delay between them. In theory this will give a comb-filtering effect with total phase cancellation at around 300Hz, 900Hz, 1.5kHz, 2.1kHz, and so on.

But it doesn't work out exactly like this, for a number of reasons. For a start, the reflected sound will almost certainly have a slightly different timbre by virtue of the sound-absorption characteristics of the floor. Sonic reflections will also arrive at the mic capsule off-axis, which will alter their frequency balance. Then there's the contribution made by reflections from other nearby surfaces, which further complicate the frequency-response anomalies. However, even though you don't get a perfect comb-filtering effect in practice, reflections from the floor are still an important contributor to the sound of a close-miked cab, and many producers experiment with lifting and angling cab in relation to the floor for this reason. If you want to hear this for yourself, surf over to my article on guitar recording at www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug07/ articles/guitaramprecording.htm and have a listen to the audio files in the 'Room & Positioning' box, which demonstrate how much difference moving the cab relative to room boundaries can make.

Of course, phase cancellation between direct and reflected sound can cause problems when recording any instrument, and with acoustic instruments it becomes, if anything, more troublesome — listeners tend to have a less concrete expectation of how an electric guitar should sound, so phase cancellation can be used to shape the tone to taste, whereas with acoustic instruments the listener tends to have clearer expectations, so the tonal effects of comb-filtering are usually less acceptable. Fortunately, it's not too difficult to avoid problems like this, as long as you try to keep performers and microphones at least a few feet from room boundaries and other large reflective surfaces. This can be a bit trickier where space is limited, in which case it can also help to use soft furnishings or acoustic foam to intercept the worst of the room reflections. Our extensive DIY acoustics feature in SOS December 2007 (Room For Improvement) has lots of useful advice if you find yourself in this situation. Another thing to try in smaller rooms is boundary mics, because their design gets around the phase-cancellation problems associated with whichever surface they're mounted on.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr08/articles/phasedemystified.htm

Meanwhile, the G3'd Vibrato Verb models sound AWESOME!!

....as does the updated thru zero flanger.

Thanks once again Cliff for a fantastic update. :) Have a great vacation!

Resolution doesn't change frequency response; it changes accuracy of amplitude and possibly SNR, but the sample rate isn't changed so the high end is unaffected. Of course none of this stuff is 100% independent.

As for my take on the whole dephase thing based on some small application that it's just like any other parameter in the AxeFXII; just dial it in to what sounds good and sometimes it isn't needed. I tried it on several of my go to patches and moderate (like 2-4) helped to tighten things up and sounded more focused, but on other patches, especially ones where I had used CabLab to really dial in a specific IR I preferred it off or extremely low. It's not that it wasn't working, but those patches and cabs were tweaked to how I liked them.

I agree with this:)

I did some more work on this last night. I've all but eliminated any additional preset switching time. Scene changes, however, can have a noticeable dropout if you switch from, say, Cabinet X without De-Phase to Cabinet Y with De-Phase, especially if using stereo cabs. The amount of math is simply very great and it requires a lot of CPU cycles to figure everything out.

I did some more work on this last night.

Don`t know if this is the intention of holiday... :)

Cliff, what about export IR+De-Phase into a new IR? similiar to TMA export including smooth setting? Manually, we could "re-capture" via TMA and export from there to save CPU / prevent switching time... a direct export function would be more comfortable indeed...

by the way ... i like this de-phase thingy! Works a bit like a De-sweet-spot`ter ... or widener ... could be similiar as if you would capture infinite spots incl. infinite runtimes from reflexions and mix them all together? Just in my humble imagination...

Last edited:
Meh, not too fond of the de-phase thing, though I've only used it on the already superb Cab Pack 13 IRs. Might have more pleasing results with bad IRs, not that I would see a reason to use any of those.

Really digging the new character thingy though, scooping out a lot of 700Hz can make my humbucker-equipped guitars sound a bit like single coils.

Back
Top Bottom