Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.01 Public Beta (1)

I did some more work on this last night. I've all but eliminated any additional preset switching time. Scene changes, however, can have a noticeable dropout if you switch from, say, Cabinet X without De-Phase to Cabinet Y with De-Phase, especially if using stereo cabs. The amount of math is simply very great and it requires a lot of CPU cycles to figure everything out.

Have you guys thought about adding this functionality to Cablab so we can export a de-phased IR?

I apologize in advance if I missed this... but which amp model is the Vibroverb that Cliff just acquired from the evil bay? AA?

I did some more work on this last night. I've all but eliminated any additional preset switching time. Scene changes, however, can have a noticeable dropout if you switch from, say, Cabinet X without De-Phase to Cabinet Y with De-Phase, especially if using stereo cabs. The amount of math is simply very great and it requires a lot of CPU cycles to figure everything out.

I am getting a big dropout changing scenes that change cab x to y or y to x, both with the De-Phase on. Can this be fixed?

I am getting a big dropout changing scenes that change cab x to y or y to x, both with the De-Phase on. Can this be fixed?

I have some ideas on how to fix it. It IS possible, just takes some work. The reason it drops out is that it does the calculations every time you switch X/Y. But I should be able to save the data in separate vectors and simply copy rather than recalculating.

I have some ideas on how to fix it. It IS possible, just takes some work. The reason it drops out is that it does the calculations every time you switch X/Y. But I should be able to save the data in separate vectors and simply copy rather than recalculating.

I do notice that it is very quick going back from scene 2 to scene 1. It's the initial scene 1 to scene 2 move that has the drop out. I love what the de-phasing does. In a stereo setup, it really brings the basic amp sound front & center with so much more clarity. Even with a lot of effects the amp sound doesn't get lost in the wash. (not that it did before, it's just even better!)

Reactions: trb

Suddenly, I can't wait for beta 2!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do notice that it is very quick going back from scene 2 to scene 1. It's the initial scene 1 to scene 2 move that has the drop out.

Yes, there's a gap when switching from scene 1 to 2 for the 1st time. No gap going from 2 to 1, and also not when going from 1 to 2 again.

I'm sorry Cliff's account got hacked again. He is not supposed to be on here for a couple more days....

I'm going to report this to the proper authorities.

I was hanging a picture over the toilet, and slipped. And when I came to, I drew up the plans for the Axe FX 4. Which pre-loads the other processors and has them on standby, for instant switching.

Yes, there's a gap when switching from scene 1 to 2 for the 1st time. No gap going from 2 to 1, and also not when going from 1 to 2 again.

From memory, it would always have a gap when going from 1 to 2 no matter how many times. I'm on an XL unit if that makes any difference. I'll have to check that when I get home tonight.

... I should be able to save the data in separate vectors and simply copy rather than recalculating.

Why not add the option to save the new calculated IR? If it's a factory IR than to a user cab or if it is already a user cab than overwrite it or save it as a new user cab. I am just thinking about eliminating the same calculations over and over again.

This.

It's not a reduction in resolution. IR resolution (in terms of number of samples) is better reflected in the low end, which remains essentially identical at any setting of Dephase, as you can see in your plot. What's removed is the phasing you get when you close-mic. While this is what we've always lived with in recorded or FOH-reinforced guitar tones, it's an artifact—and it's not ideal.

When I listen with my ears instead of with my eyes, positive values of Dephase always sound better.

This is one of the most informative posts I think I've seen in a great while. Thank you! "character" is not what our ears normally hear in the room, Lol, so its not necessarily wanted. So then all cabinets will not sound the same at a high setting. Can't wait to get back home and do the firmware update.

Reactions: trb
This is one of the most informative posts I think I've seen in a great while. Thank you! "character" is not what our ears normally hear in the room, Lol, so its not necessarily wanted. So then all cabinets will not sound the same at a high setting. Can't wait to get back home and do the firmware update.
Thanks for the kind words!

Actually, you always hear some amount of character/phasing in the room because of reflections in the room. But it's not the character/phasing you get from close-miking a cab. That's usually undesirable...but not always. People who are skilled at microphone placement have learned how to manipulate these artifacts to their advantage, and can produce pleasing results. But I find I almost always prefer at least some amount of de-phasing on almost every IR.

Back
Top Bottom