Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.10 Released

You don't use power amp modeling but use a FRFR system ? That seems like you'd be missing out on a key tonal aspect of the typical guitar rig.... Have you tried it with power amp modeling turned on ? That is what likely 99% of FRFR users are doing.
confused me as well

I'm in windows 7 64bit and made reset of system parameters a couple of times ... Started after the fw were the noise gate offset was not 0db but -60db ( I can't recall wich) the last 3 fw update from firmaware 18.04 or 18.05 I had a failure and a message in my green screen telling I was in manual firmware update ... Of course I did nothing unless starting the axe and starting FBot ... BTW second time always was good [emoji111]️

You don't use power amp modeling but use a FRFR system ? That seems like you'd be missing out on a key tonal aspect of the typical guitar rig....

Have you tried it with power amp modeling turned on ? That is what likely 99% of FRFR users are doing.

It is off the beaten path but I think it's legit.

Especially if you like a guitar oriented tube power amp for sonic reasons. Fractal -> Marshall Power Amp -> FRFR speaker.

Haven't played guitar thru it yet but just wanted to say that it loaded for me the first time I tried it and I'm on Windows 8.

It is off the beaten path but I think it's legit.

Especially if you like a guitar oriented tube power amp for sonic reasons. Fractal -> Marshall Power Amp -> FRFR speaker.

Would you still use cab modeling then ? More so, do you turn off power amp modeling and then run through the cab block, before going into your tube power amp ?

Bypassing the power amp and the cab block and running into a tube power amp and guitar cab works well, and plenty of people do it, but running a tube power amp into a FRFR speaker with no cab modeling would sound pretty poor I'd have to think.

Maybe something like a XiTone with the option to turn off the tweater, but a FRFR playback system just isn't going to give the tonal coloration of a traditional guitar speaker.

Turning off the cab block (and not using a TM block) and going into my floor or studio monitors sounds awful to me. A tube power amp in the chain wouldn't really fix that.

Don't get me wrong, more power to anyone who wants to run their rig however they want, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the logic of a power amp modeling turned off when using a FRFR system

The changes were only to the power amp modeling which isn't used in your case. There were no changes at all to the preamp modeling therefore your presets should be identical. Check your cables, systems settings, etc.

Yes that s why i m a little confuse , i ll try again with "reset system parametres"

Would you still use cab modeling then ? More so, do you turn off power amp modeling and then run through the cab block, before going into your tube power amp ?

Bypassing the power amp and the cab block and running into a tube power amp and guitar cab works well, and plenty of people do it, but running a tube power amp into a FRFR speaker with no cab modeling would sound pretty poor I'd have to think.

Maybe something like a XiTone with the option to turn off the tweater, but a FRFR playback system just isn't going to give the tonal coloration of a traditional guitar speaker.

Turning off the cab block (and not using a TM block) and going into my floor or studio monitors sounds awful to me. A tube power amp in the chain wouldn't really fix that.

Don't get me wrong, more power to anyone who wants to run their rig however they want, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the logic of a power amp modeling turned off when using a FRFR system

No , i use cab modeling of course but power amp modeling OFF ans SAG OFF too .
Attached a patch i like and IR to go with . Dont forget to turn OFF power amp and Sag . XL owner .

Attachments

• MKIIC+ 18.08fw_20150429_181408.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Naylor SD 2015 P-.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You can add body , présence , color etc to the sound to compensate Power modeling abscence

Curious: why oh why would you want to disable power amp modeling, when playing through FRFR gear?

Curious: why oh why would you want to disable power amp modeling, when playing through FRFR gear?

i find it work better for me ...I find there is much more dynamic , clarity . Some amp sound bad without power amp modeling , i agree .

i find it work better for me ...I find there is much more dynamic , clarity . Some amp sound bad without power amp modeling , i agree .

When you want clarity go with low master volume to reduce the poweramps overall influence and crank up negative feedback and presence, lower depth frequency and so on to get the poweramp direct and clear.

Are you using to much MV level for amps with a MV ? That can certainly end up reducing clarity and dynamics.

While non-MV amp models typically always sound best with the MV set to 10 (and I think nearly all default there) I've found a lot of amp models with a MV start sounding pretty crappy when you crank the MV up too far, some I find sound best with it set to as little as 2 or 3.

Thing to remember is that with a real world amp with MV, your typically not going to crank the input gain and also dime the MV. A lot of Axe users though I've noticed will crank it way up, probably thinking more power amp distortion = better tone, but that simply doesn't work.

Try dialing the MV back a bit and see if your getting better clarity and dynamics

In that case it would make a zillion times more sense to turn sag to 0 for the preset and defeat PA modeling for that one preset and have a bunch of amp models that aren't gimped by a global setting.

Not trying to tell you what you do and don't like and there are no rules... do what works for you... but just saying you might find you are missing out on a lot of good tones due to your methodology.

Things that make you go Hmmmm! Strange days indeed! Sounds horrid to me with no PA modeling ! Ill try your preset though.

it's strange how many people agree with you, yet many other say the exact opposite.

Stranger still that people can even perceive these differences. I've noticed zero changes between them and these are very slight tweaks, shouldn't suddenly make any vintage style amp sound awful.

In fact, I would be curious if Cliff could put out a FW 18.11, with zero actual changes, and if there would still be people who said it sounds better/worse.

My perception of my tone changes day to day. My hearing, my guitar tuning, how loud I'm playing, my mood etc all varies a bit. I think this has way more effect than anything else related to the hardware

Back
Top Bottom