Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.10 Released

downloaded 1st thing in the morning.. last couple of weeks i was getting unsatisfactory tone with new FW versions. And went into a phase of trying out the older FW versions starting with 15.02 and upgrading and trying some "critical" amp models.. i got interesting results like 15.06 and 16.01 were really good.. yesterday i was at 18.01 and liked it too compared to 18.07 or 18.08.. so although i was hoping for better, i wasn't expecting much from the next FW. today i gave it a shot, and so far... It's a KEEPER!! i like it!! at least for my "critical amps and presets" it's really satisfying. Thanks FAS!!..

PS. Recommended: high gain tones with 5153 red which is my all time favourite..
PS.2. No tweaking yet.. just my existing presets as they already are..

On IMac... Yosemite ... Had my first failed update going to 18.08... Have not loaded 18.10 yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

every time i update these days,, i have to do it twice, because i get an error the first time. the axe fx is putting itself into update mode when it shouldn't

This has also happened to me the last few firmwares. I get an error on the first try, then it works on the second. Puzzling.

Perhabs it is a Mac problem with with the failed updates? I'm on Windows 8.1 and so fare (I have the Axe now 3 years) did not have any errors on updates (keep my fingers crossed)...

In general the improvements are subtle but there should be improvements in the "bounce" and slightly smoother power amp distortion. I realized I wasn't accounting for the fact that bias excursion is a function of the B+ voltage. I also derived more accurate formulas for the behavior of the various power tubes when they enter saturation. The improved OT modeling results in fewer ultrasonic overtones which, while inaudible on their own do result in more intermodulation "garbage" when playing multiple notes so you should hear better string separation and chord clarity.

I know exactly what you mean!!! :mrgreen

Yes Your Honor... I'm an addicted... and Cliff is my pusher!!! :lol

Big problem from 18.08 (perfect) to fw18.10 (loading twice to be sure) . All patch have more distortion , even clean patch are now dirty (in a bad way) . All patch have less volume too .
Come back to 18.08 : perfect ... Some précision : POWER AMP MODELING :OFF SUPPLY SAG OFF . I play FRFR .
Don t tell if 18.08 perfect stay with .. I just want to understand what s wrong .
Cliff said it s just a subtil change , but for me it s night(mare) and day . Maybe because i don t use power amp modeling ...?

The changes were only to the power amp modeling which isn't used in your case. There were no changes at all to the preamp modeling therefore your presets should be identical. Check your cables, systems settings, etc.

The improved OT modeling results in fewer ultrasonic overtones which, while inaudible on their own do result in more intermodulation "garbage" when playing multiple notes so you should hear better string separation and chord clarity.

ktgtk.jpg

Cannot wait to give this a shot later tonight, thanks Cliffanator & FAS!!

Big problem from 18.08 (perfect) to fw18.10 (loading twice to be sure) . All patch have more distortion , even clean patch are now dirty (in a bad way) . All patch have less volume too .
Come back to 18.08 : perfect ... Some précision : POWER AMP MODELING :OFF SUPPLY SAG OFF . I play FRFR .
Don t tell if 18.08 perfect stay with .. I just want to understand what s wrong .
Cliff said it s just a subtil change , but for me it s night(mare) and day . Maybe because i don t use power amp modeling ...?

You don't use power amp modeling but use a FRFR system ? That seems like you'd be missing out on a key tonal aspect of the typical guitar rig....

Have you tried it with power amp modeling turned on ? That is what likely 99% of FRFR users are doing.

Back
Top Bottom