Axe-Fx II Firmware 17.00 Released

I tried plugging my guitar into my girlfriend. But no sound was coming out. Should I return her? :(
Did you try plugging anything else into her? Did she make a sound then? Is her power connected? If she never makes any sound you should have her repaired or buy a new one. Broken girls are sadly worthless, the second hand market is extremely slow. They are hygiene-items and you're lucky if anyone else will take them.

Pretty sure the girlfriend I married would produce a screaming solo if I plugged a guitar into her.

Since we don't know what the mic pres are based on, can cliff/anyone else give an indication on what each one is like, what its good for, what the characteristics are, etc?

I know nothing about mic preamps and names like 'tape 50' or 'exciter' or 'vintage' or 'modern' don't mean much to me in that regard.

Just some simple pointers and a blurb about each one would be ideal, IMO.

Since we don't know what the mic pres are based on, can cliff/anyone else give an indication on what each one is like, what its good for, what the characteristics are, etc?

I know nothing about mic preamps and names like 'tape 50' or 'exciter' or 'vintage' or 'modern' don't mean much to me in that regard.

I think "use your ears" is a key phrase going along with this release.

If you really know nothing about mic preamps, I would go Google mic preamps first.

The descriptions of the emulations won't mean much without that background anyway.

here are my shots in the dark:

Tape 50 - Not sure. analog tape itself is 50 microns thick? But the Studer A800 24trk and Ampex ATR102 2trk are common plugin emulations.
Vintage - Neve 1073
Modern - SSL but maybe API? API mic pre's are used to track electric guitars and drums quite a bit.
Exciter - ?

Pretty sure the girlfriend I married would produce a screaming solo if I plugged a guitar into her.
You'd likely end up relegated to organ solos after that one...

By the way, I noticed that the preset that starts with ADBC= was maxing the CPU right out of the gate when I loaded 17, and the BLITZ II was going to nowhere (silent). Anyone else see that?

Don't worry, I'm 65 and have recorded many tracks back in the 70´es.
We just used what was paid for by the rec. companies. Often tubes, often a new desk with 741 chips that totally ruinened the downstream to whatever Studer you would name.
But anytime the post-processing made it.You could say that old Rupert knew the trade.

I think "use your ears" is a key phrase going along with this release.

:roll

We all know that as soon as some of the more advanced users on this forum get around to nailing things down with the new settings people are going to ask for their settings and patches and, likely, get them. There will also most likely be a good amount of artists that mention or post their settings. The idea that indicating what things are modeling is going to somehow lead to people "using their ears" more is kind of silly, in my opinion.

The problem with Cliff making a disclosure like, "Preamp Tape 50us is based on the Studer 5919 preamp" is suddenly you get a whole bunch of Internet Arm Chair Quarterbacks coming out of the woodwork doing things like "Well, did it have the Super Awesome switch engaged or disengaged? Was it running pre-BASF offshore tape? Did you align the sun, moon and stars like they were when Zeppelin II was recorded with this console?"

Basically: bullshit questions.

The reluctance, and I completely get it here, is because these things aren't based on models the way the amps are based models -- Cliff didn't go out and buy every single one of these pres for comparisons. They're good approximations that change in nice ways as you move through them and you should shut your eyes and pick the one that sounds best.

The reluctance, and I completely get it here, is because these things aren't based on models the way the amps are based models -- Cliff didn't go out and buy every single one of these pres for comparisons. They're good approximations that change in nice ways as you move through them and you should shut your eyes and pick the one that sounds best.

Where was this stated?

Concerning the Preamps: It doesn't matter what they are based on really, the objective is ,they are tools ! And very good ones! use the one that takes your tone where you want it ! I use a lot of UAD plugins and have most of the console preamps . tape simulators, bottom line is I don't use the same one on a particular instrument every time ,but the one or one's that take it where I want it to sound! I agree, use your ears! You,ll find the tone you're after!

^ This.

Half the fun of the Axe for me is trying stuff, experimenting. I don't need to know exactly which one I'm 'supposed' to use because I don't believe in absolutes like that. Often you get happy accidents when you use the 'wrong' settings anyway.

Be bold and try stuff.

Yee Haaww no need for using the pitch shift to get them odd even harmonics ... Preamp is awesome! After I figured out what I was doing ha

I've been saying this since I originally got my Ultra: I don't care how accurate the models are. I only care if they sound amazing or not. Thus far, I have not been disappointed... and I'm still running v13 or v14 because I didn't feel like I needed to update.

Where was this stated?

My point is how the models were derived or even named is immaterial. All that matters is how they sound. They each sound unique. That revealing how they were derived or named offers nothing in the way of how they sound or how to use them. Only your ears do. Revealing anything else only invited pundits and complainers to miss the bigger picture: you just got a cool, new sonic tool.

+110% I totally agree! That's the reason I bought the Axe-Fx II. I just turn knobs and press buttons until my ears are happy and don't care if any of my presets sound authentic. I want to sound like me! I'm able to make sounds that inspire me to play and be creative. I wish FAS would make more FAS amp models or start working with musicians to make custom signature series amp models. If you want the past, then go empty all your funds and buy the past. If you want the future, the Axe-Fx II will get you there and you don't even need Plutonium or to drive 88mph! Authentic amps? Where we're going we don't need authentic amps!

For sure! However, many a new players and artists are just getting their feet wet with the workings, history and evolution of the guitar amp. The Axe is indispensable for me as a tutor and teacher, teaching guitar and the history and use of all the classic tones they admire and want to understand.

Knowing how and why these classic tones came to be really helps shape the future of the guitar and amp sounds.

The axe surely allows so much possibilities in new sounds that can never be possible with the real thing. IMHO

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom