Axe-Fx II Firmware 17.00 Released

Quiescent bias current is the current drawn from the power supply by biasing the tubes into an active state when there is no signal. This causes the power supply to sag. I would expect the largest quiescent sage to occur in class A amps, which are biased so that the the quiescent current nearly equals the average current, which means there is significant sag even with no signal. Which would mean that the effects of power supply sag would exist even at low signal levels.

Ah, thanks Rex,

So it is a power supply headroom thing?

That's part of it. It also has a lot to do with how the power section behaves when the power supply is already straining to supply enough current.

Gotcha!

So it will have quite a bearing on feel then.

Thanks for that, Rex!

True class A amps don't sag at all. They're 'pre-sagged'; the current flowing at idle is the highest it will ever be.

One implication of that is that a tube rectifier therefore gains nothing on a class A amp.

True class A amps don't sag at all. They're 'pre-sagged'; the current flowing at idle is the highest it will ever be.

One implication of that is that a tube rectifier therefore gains nothing on a class A amp.

Correct. However there aren't really any true Class A guitar amps. Most of what is called Class A is really cathode biased with a hot bias setting. Furthermore all these "Class A" guitar amps suffer from significant "squish" which effectively reduces the bias when you are playing. The result is that the power supply actually sags quite a bit in these designs.

Trust your ears.

The people unhappy with something (anything) need to trust their ears. No matter what the GUI says, no matter what you "think" something needs to be in order to sound a certain way; cut through the complexity by simply trusting your ears.

How? Try something, turn it way up to hear what it does to the extreme. Roll it back till it sounds/feels good. Then check it on/off to see if it is better or worse. When you stop getting things 'better' then you are done. Then stop, play and don't look back. When given new tools, try them, do the 'better or worse' and then play. Stop tweaking, stop messing around and just play. If something inspires you; stop and play.

As for the whole 'live' vs. 'studio' preset concept, that's never held any water for me. Things either sound/feel good and inspire you; or they don't. Period. Good tone is good tone and can be used anywhere. Running direct-to-FOH means you have the *same* inspiring killer tones at the touch a toe. Done.

Seek simplicity out of complexity. Trust your ears. Stop tweaking. Play. That's my entire way of approaching this box. It has served me very well for nearly 8 years running.

I want to give you a huge high five and bro hug right now. PRECISELY my thoughts on the subject.

Thanks just got it upgraded again re tweaking every patch again...

Wiki is my friend.

Thanks Cliff amazing product and service with constant upgrades !

Back
Top Bottom