Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

Some usage tips:
1. The amps are scary accurate now. I haven't gone through my whole stash but I've gone through quite a few and it's almost creepy how accurate the modeling is. So if you don't like the sound of a model you wouldn't like the real amp either.

2. All the controls operate like the real amps with the exception of the taper on the Presence and Master Volume. These controls always have the same tapers regardless of the model. This was done with the Presence control because on many amps the control doesn't do anything for 80-90% of the range which just seems stupid. This was done with the Master Volume as otherwise the volumes would be all over the place so a unified taper was employed. Otherwise the controls operate like the real amp but you may need to put them in a different position than the real amp, i.e. Presence on 8 on the real amp might be equal to 5 on the Axe-Fx. Use your ears.

3. Preamp/power-amp interaction is much greater now. As with real amps use the Master Volume to get to the sweet spot. I was comparing the Dirty Shirley to the model and the model seemed to have a lot more bass and less midrange. Just didn't sound the same. So I did some sweeps and the model showed more bass and less midrange. After some probing I realized the taper on the amp was linear so, even though it's Master Volume was on 3 or thereabouts, it was really driving the power amp hard. I turned the Master Volume on the Axe-Fx up to around 6-7 and the model then sounded exactly like the amp.

4. There are 185 amp models now. If you can't find your sound with one of these you have other issues.

Don't want to sound ungrateful (because I am not) but I am bit dissapointed that the focus is again on amps and not effects. Judging from the many topics I see about this a lot of people we're hoping for major effects updates too.

what effects are missing that in your opinion require a FW revision focus and "major effects update?" From what I've read and even got bashed on for calling them on it, people have just complained they cant be bothered to learn how to use the effects blocks, and simply just want fractal to provide effects presets for them.

Did a FractalBot complete backup on the XL and wondered why it was taking so long? I forgot it has 512 cabs to backup now. Duh! The II has an internal backup option which I can't find on the XL.

I love what this did to me presets. They seem more... unbridled and dare I say unhinged.

Flipping your pickups into parallel wiring makes some of these amps just scream in a way they never did before.

3. Preamp/power-amp interaction is much greater now. As with real amps use the Master Volume to get to the sweet spot. I was comparing the Dirty Shirley to the model and the model seemed to have a lot more bass and less midrange. Just didn't sound the same. So I did some sweeps and the model showed more bass and less midrange. After some probing I realized the taper on the amp was linear so, even though it's Master Volume was on 3 or thereabouts, it was really driving the power amp hard. I turned the Master Volume on the Axe-Fx up to around 6-7 and the model then sounded exactly like the amp.

So, you're saying that the Dirty Shirley suffers from Hot Rod Deluxe syndrome? I guess I would never think that on a boutique amp, but I suppose Dave Friedman has his reasons.

Some usage tips:
1. The amps are scary accurate now. I haven't gone through my whole stash but I've gone through quite a few and it's almost creepy how accurate the modeling is. So if you don't like the sound of a model you wouldn't like the real amp either.

2. All the controls operate like the real amps with the exception of the taper on the Presence and Master Volume. These controls always have the same tapers regardless of the model. This was done with the Presence control because on many amps the control doesn't do anything for 80-90% of the range which just seems stupid. This was done with the Master Volume as otherwise the volumes would be all over the place so a unified taper was employed. Otherwise the controls operate like the real amp but you may need to put them in a different position than the real amp, i.e. Presence on 8 on the real amp might be equal to 5 on the Axe-Fx. Use your ears.

4. There are 185 amp models now. If you can't find your sound with one of these you have other issues.
I like the 5153 Red model more after the update thx, seems to be less Drive now, had to increase this a bit.

Is the difference "Presence on 8 on the real amp might be equal to 5 on the Axe-Fx." also that large to the real 5153 red ? That would explain why i have to set it around 4-5,5 only

Some usage tips:

I'm protesting until you include a Gorilla 10-Watt solid-state combo like I had in high school back in 86'. That thing was like a wall of Marshalls. :)

Just a note: The CF Comp is defaulting to 0% on the Class-A 30W TB model. It used to default to 56.3% which I'm assuming is still correct. My apologies if this is already known.

Just a note: The CF Comp is defaulting to 0% on the Class-A 30W TB model. It used to default to 56.3% which I'm assuming is still correct. My apologies if this is already known.
CF Comp is default to 0% on 5153 Red too, is that right?

Pretty soon you'll figure out how to model how dark the lenses on Steve Lukather's shades were, in the studio, when he recorded "that track."

Back
Top Bottom