Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

If you want the same tone, don't update your firmware.

Imagine if we each got brand new hardware boxes with each update. Would you expect things to be the same? Probably not, probably an easier time understanding why it's different. And if you didn't want it to change, you wouldn't keep the new box while shipping back the old one.

The firmware is updating modeled hardware. So in essence, it is exactly like we are switching out physical hardware with each update.

Since it is software, we have the luxury of keeping the old fully in tact with backups and restoring older firmware.

Again, I view it like I am getting new hardware with each firmware update. When I don't have time to adjust things, I stay on the old/current firmware. When I do have time, I upgrade and find my new sounds, usually much faster. I barely turn any knobs or adjust any advanced parameters anymore.

You can't have it both ways. You can't have the latest and greatest while keeping the old sound. It's like replacing your Toyota Camry engine with a Lambo, but still wanting the performance of the Camry.

If you want the same tone, don't update your firmware.

Imagine if we each got brand new hardware boxes with each update. Would you expect things to be the same? Probably not, probably an easier time understanding why it's different. And if you didn't want it to change, you wouldn't accept the new box and ship back the old one.

The firmware is updating modeled hardware. So in essence, it is exactly like we are switching out physical hardware with each update.

Since it is software, we have the luxury of keeping the old fully in tact with backups and restoring older firmware.

Again, I view it like I am getting new hardware with each firmware update. When I don't have time to adjust things, I stay on the old/current firmware. When I do have time, I upgrade and find my new sounds, usually much faster. I barely turn any knobs or adjust any advanced parameters anymore.

You can't have it both ways. You can't have the latest and greatest while keeping the old sound. It's like replacing your Toyota Camry engine with a Lambo, but still wanting the performance of the Camry.

This ^^^

I guess every one has it own workflow. In my case it's no hassle at all.

I only run a few amp models for my main tones, and use no advanced parameters.
Even when the modeling changes much, I'm up and running in not time. Even though I have to do it oftenbecause of beta testing.
Reset amp and fiddle a bit with the ususal suspects: Master, Drive, BMT, Presence/HiCut.
That's it.
So I'm a little weary of the complaints TBH.

Not to be rude, but this comment is a little short sighted IMO.

I get that some people only use a small amount of what the Axe FX II offers, but on the same token, there are many of us that utilize the majority of what it offers which is HUNDREDS of AMP models.

For example, I currently have 207 completely tweaked out including advanced parameters, and song specific presets, with the majority using 2 amp blocks and many using x/y states, with scenes and controllers and etc, etc, etc. Then I also have 50 tonematches that were used for studio sessions, and then I have about another 50 or so that are my trial and error mess around presets. None of my presets use the same amp with the same settings.

So even If I was to spend 20 minutes on a single preset redialing it in, 20 x 307 = 6140 minutes = 102.33 hours..... without breaks......

Maybe this will allow you to see why there is some complaining.... now having to redo these presets every time a major FW comes out? 4 times in the last year alone = 400 hours of fixing. Meanwhile, Joe blow that uses only a handful of presets comes on the forums and makes statements about not understanding what the complaining is about.

And FYI, I'm not personally complaining. Having been on this ride since FW10, I know and expect this as I've had to suffer through it already a few times, but it sure gets old seeing comments like "don't update then," or "I only use a couple amps, and it doesn't take long so what's the problem...."

Backwards compatibility is incredibly important imho. You can install the first version of Windows and update to Windows 8, and still have user-settings and programs retained - to some extent.

This hasn't affected me, because I only had 9 quick presets. I cleared them all out and I'm redoing them. But I can 100% get behind the guys like Severed, who have fully tricked out Axe FX's. Some sort of backwards compatibility needs to be kept in mind for FW updates - imho.

I get that some people only use a small amount of what the Axe FX II offers, but on the same token, there are many of us that utilize the majority of what it offers which is HUNDREDS of AMP models.

For example, I currently have 207 completely tweaked out including advanced parameters, and song specific presets, with the majority using 2 amp blocks and many using x/y states, with scenes and controllers and etc, etc, etc. Then I also have 50 tonematches that were used for studio sessions, and then I have about another 50 or so that are my trial and error mess around presets. None of my presets use the same amp with the same settings.

So even If I was to spend 20 minutes on a single preset redialing it in, 20 x 307 = 6140 minutes = 102.33 hours..... without breaks......

Maybe this will allow you to see why there is some complaining.... now having to redo these presets every time a major FW comes out? 4 times in the last year alone = 400 hours of fixing. Meanwhile, Joe blow that uses only a handful of presets comes on the forums and makes statements about not understanding what the complaining is about.

And FYI, I'm not personally complaining. Having been on this ride since FW10, I know and expect this as I've had to suffer through it already a few times, but it sure gets old seeing comments like "don't update then," or "I only use a couple amps, and it doesn't take long so what's the problem...."

I do understand your POV.

My view is: when you buy an Axe-Fx, you also sign up for its design philosophy and development cycle.
Cliff obviously won't let the current state of affairs get in the way of progress.
And that's a good thing, IMHO. That's why the device is as good as it is and still gets better.

With that knowledge I wouldn't create hundreds of presets. But that's just me.

P.S. Sound is not comparable to an operating system's backward compatibility.

I don't quite get what the problem is. I mean no disrespect but the tonal changes in updates have not been drastic in a long time for me at least. IR is most of your tone and if you use the same IR then the amp modeling can not affect your tone that much.

Is there a way for you to review this change and if so could you please post the difference?

I don't quite get what the problem is. I mean no disrespect but the tonal changes in updates have not been drastic in a long time for me at least. IR is most of your tone and if you use the same IR then the amp modeling can not affect your tone that much.

Is there a way for you to review this change and if so could you please post the difference?

exactly, it's never a drastic change to me, and i stay away from the hyperbole....just a constant sweetening of everything. it gets better, no doubt....but it's hardly ever been an "OH MY GOD MY MIND IS BLOWN" moment for me.

Everything has a pro and con to it. The fact Cliff gives a s-h-i-t about the Axe so much that even after years of release he still is making it better is beyond awesome. Cliff can tell you that I gave him crap back when the Editor was acting up with the II and that whole development issue he had going on, but he truly does a lot for us in terms of Customer Service, helping out around the forum, updates, making sure his team is working in the right direction and he even takes wish lists idea's and puts them in the Axe when it makes sense. I just feel the pro's always have out weighed the con's and I am not sure what else anyone could expect since nothing is perfect, nothing is con free.

I would imagine that only the amps in the release notes are affected but I don't know that for sure.
Thanks - still looking for a list of which amps are recommended for full amp reset vs. "update all presets." If I don't need to do full amp reset/redial on all my presets, it would save a lot of time.

I do understand your POV.

My view is: when you buy an Axe-Fx, you also sign up for its design philosophy and development cycle.

Are you sure you really think that? Is it not just a tool you bought to achieve a set of sounds? I'm not big on the cult of personality personally. To me, it's a black rack unit, very much like all other kinds of black rack units out there, and it does it's job - very very well. I didn't buy a pamphlet and I didn't buy a manifesto. I bought a bit of gear ;)

And working in software, I can tell you... it's all mathematics. Backwards compatibility is perfectly possible in a sound context, but the engineering needs to be planned and approached in such a way as to be conducive to it. Sometimes you need to make a judgement call - the benefits of this change outweigh the negatives of data loss.

Just my view. I can tell you, once I have a set of presets that are more concrete, I'll be quite reluctant to update the firmware.

And it's clear that backwards compatibility HAS been a concern to some extent. As others have mentioned, you *can* backup your entire Axe FX, and re-install everything at a later date. Meaning you can roll back quite easily. This is a good step in the right direction I think.

imho, ymmv, m2p, etc.. etc... ;)

Thanks - still looking for a list of which amps are recommended for full amp reset vs. "update all presets." If I don't need to do full amp reset/redial on all my presets, it would save a lot of time.

i'm quite certain all amps are affected. probably some more than others, but all of them nonetheless.

It's easy to dig the hole too deep and miss what your looking for, It's really not that hard, just forget about what was and rebuild your patch and it will be better than before!! "If you try to hold on to the past , ya miss a lot of cool stuff" I literally rebuilt 6 patches with the 15 beta in about 10 minutes ,that I liked better than what I had!!

That doesn't work so well with 100+ patches. Plus, certain things I change I work in every firmware since v1. For example, the depth frequency on most amps is 250. I hate that frequency & I find changing it always works & always sounds better no matter what firmware.

Well said Severed. I think the problem is...some of the guys on the forum are mistaking people whining for guys like us. (I'm almost in the same boat as you minus 75) We (in my humble opinion) have a legit reason for concern. Then again, in our case it really is kinda cut and dry. We leave it at 14.xx or we update and have to tweak for the new options we've been given. Part of it is brilliant and innovative on Cliff's part as well as him giving this to us for free (imagine if they charged for updates...whew?!)....the other part is, it sort of beats the hell out of guys like us that are in this situation.

That said (and I'm honestly not trying to single anyone out or cause any controversy) short-sighted replies can definitely hit ya in the chest. Actually, anything that resembles snippy or "don't update then" sort of gets to me. But like I said...the sad truth is, "don't update YET" is probably more for us until it's our time. How else can a person really say that? LOL! :) Cliff has been this wonderful....maybe he'll come up with something that may help guys like us. If it's possible, I'm sure we'll see it at some point. :)

Couple of questions....regarding fully activating the new firmware and modelling:

1) when you toggle up do you need to save before toggling back, and then do you need to save again when in the original amp?
2) when the new fw15 presets are released can you simply load them and use without any toggling.

I would really appreciate a definitive answer on these 2 - thanks in advance, as ever.

Cheers Gilesy

That doesn't work so well with 100+ patches. Plus, certain things I change I work in every firmware since v1. For example, the depth frequency on most amps is 250. I hate that frequency & I find changing it always works & always sounds better no matter what firmware.

That's a lot of patches to keep up with for sure ,I can't imagine trying to keep up with them myself! I found quite some time back that the only one who really noticed how exact a patch was to the record was me, I started setting up 6 or 8 amps and creating the differences with IR's and effects. Works Great for me, but of course that's my needs, everyone has their own set. I admire your dedication!

Couple of questions....regarding fully activating the new firmware and modelling:

1) when you toggle up do you need to save before toggling back, and then do you need to save again when in the original amp?
2) when the new fw15 presets are released can you simply load them and use without any toggling.
I would really appreciate a definitive answer on these 2 - thanks in advance, as ever.

Cheers Gilesy

1) No you don't need to save before toggling back. You are just resetting what is already in memory. In fact, I find it useful NOT to save if I want to do a quick reset/compare. You DO need to save your newly modified preset once you are happy with it.

2) New default banks will already have all of the new parameters defaulted/set so no, you do not need to do anything but tweak to taste (or simply enjoy!)

TT

Cheers Gilesy

1) open the amp block. choose a different amp. go back. save.

2) most likely, as you are loading new presets.

Yea I know. That's why I've emphasized I'm not complaining. It's worth noting though that the updates are 100% worth it and I do extremely appreciate new features for free.

It's also worth noting IMO I would not even ask for Cliff or FAS to come up with something because IMO the iota is on the end user, as I am the one choosing to use it this way.

Omg some if you are absolutely nuts!!!! I try to sit back and just read the forums and humorously read complaint after complaint about the constant updates and the time it takes to tweak your presets.
You guys should be doing nothing but giving the highest praise to cliff for doing all this for you.
Before I finally purchased my axe fx I was strictly a line 6 and boss user. In fact I am still a line 6 beta tester.
Do you guys (some of you) not realize how good you have it with fractal audio. The incredible amount if improvements through firmware updates done by the OWNER of the company, the OWNER personally replying to questions in the forum at 230 am
Even being a beta tester with line 6 it takes me 45 minutes to an hour wait time on the phone to get through to someone. When I call fractal someone answers within 3-4 rings and that person gives me an answer to whatever question I have without transferring me to all different departments.
And that brings me to boss. Good luck getting any technical questions answered. 75% of the answers are we don't know what they are up to over there in japan no support for updating firmware etc....
Updates. Line 6 has has three for the hd500. Boss has had 2 for the gt100.
I feel that cliff should charge $9.99 per update for his time and effort then maybe some of you will accept being happy with what you have and those of us that enjoy the new firmware and the (I call it fun ) retweaking our presets and hearing and feeling these incredible improvements.
Thank you cliff.

Omg some if you are absolutely nuts!!!! I try to sit back and just read the forums and humorously read complaint after complaint about the constant updates and the time it takes to tweak your presets.
You guys should be doing nothing but giving the highest praise to cliff for doing all this for you.
Before I finally purchased my axe fx I was strictly a line 6 and boss user. In fact I am still a line 6 beta tester.
Do you guys (some of you) not realize how good you have it with fractal audio. The incredible amount if improvements through firmware updates done by the OWNER of the company, the OWNER personally replying to questions in the forum at 230 am
Even being a beta tester with line 6 it takes me 45 minutes to an hour wait time on the phone to get through to someone. When I call fractal someone answers within 3-4 rings and that person gives me an answer to whatever question I have without transferring me to all different departments.
And that brings me to boss. Good luck getting any technical questions answered. 75% of the answers are we don't know what they are up to over there in japan no support for updating firmware etc....
Updates. Line 6 has has three for the hd500. Boss has had 2 for the gt100.
I feel that cliff should charge $9.99 per update for his time and effort then maybe some of you will accept being happy with what you have and those of us that enjoy the new firmware and the (I call it fun ) retweaking our presets and hearing and feeling these incredible improvements.
Thank you cliff.
+1 , Said a mouthful there, I agree

Back
Top Bottom