Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

The placebo affect of this magic box w new FW is strong and I *thought* I heard a difference before I truly toggled amps - and at that point I FOR SURE heard differences.

I know that's true because it's happened to me. I'm looking forward to getting the real deal here as soon as I can free up some time. I've never heard anything detrimental about a proper upgrade.

Thanks for the reply Simeon.

On the contrary, after adjusting some of the parameters that changed (sag, lo res freq, lo res and presence) to my 'previous values' my presets sounded very similar (if not exactly the same) as the tone I got just after step 1 or step 3 of my update process .... the tone I like.

So my question remains: At what point in my process listed above are the new firmware algorithms actually being "used" by the Axe in processing tone?

To look at it another way .... other than resetting the default values, what is the point of doing the up/down/up amp toggle procedure?

Does it mean that if I don't do the 'up/down/up amp select thing' that the new algorithms are not fully being used to process the tone in the axe?

I perceived that I had the same tone in my preset at step 1 or step 3 as I got after step 9.

Just trying to get a better understanding.

ps. Loving the wreckers in the new firmware.
i'm glad the x/y toggle procedure helped. It is my understanding that the new algorithm does not take effect until step 7 (when you actually switch to a different amp and then back). It is necessary to do the update presets (Utility menu) option because your existing presets and blocks within will not be compatible with the new firmware. They will work of course but if you try to copy settings from older FW blocks to new FW15 blocks it won't work. Resetting presets makes all presets and components compatible. Also if you are creating a preset from scratch and adding a new AMP block there is no need to ' reset' the block because a new instance of said block will already be using the new algorithm. As others have mentioned, setting your new FW15 AMP block to the same exact settings of your previous AMP settings from the older FW may not get you back to the sound you had.

I agree, but if I understand the process correctly, you don't have a choice when comparing. If you do the amp flip thing and change the algorithm, you're committed. So, if you liked the old revision better, you'd have to reload the old firmware. While you can certainly do that, what if you liked the new version on a bunch of amps you already compared? Gotta go through and flip them all again.

I don't know that there's an easy solution to this, but I'm hoping better minds will come up with something.
There was a time where we could select between different modeling FW versions right n the AXE. I think it was in the global pages. I'm not near my axe fx right now but I wonder if that option still exists and whether it would be just what you are looking for? It may have been power amp modeling , not sure.

i think it was removed. it really didn't work too well as only a few things changed when that option was used.

I agree, but if I understand the process correctly, you don't have a choice when comparing. If you do the amp flip thing and change the algorithm, you're committed. So, if you liked the old revision better, you'd have to reload the old firmware. While you can certainly do that, what if you liked the new version on a bunch of amps you already compared? Gotta go through and flip them all again.

I don't know that there's an easy solution to this, but I'm hoping better minds will come up with something.

Not if you don't save it. You can either copy the origin to the Y position, reset that & compare or just hit recall, change presets & go back to the one you were editing & you are back to the pre-rest state. You will always have the new code of the new firmware, but not the new default settings.

Last edited:
well, the reset isn't done to "make it sound better." it's to get the settings/parameters/knobs to produce the intended results of their position, as the underlying code has changed. you may have to readjust the knobs to get it to sound like it did before or to make it sound "good" again. but many are finding they just have to rebalance the Master Volume and Gain(s) for the most part.

I'm not saying just do the reset & if it isn't better, bail out. I do tweak settings after reset but if it just sounds better without it, who cares why it sounds better. What's the point of the change if it isn't better than before? Some of the ones that changed for the worst were NMV amps, especially the 65 Bassman. It's now VERY hard to get clean & pretty much a distorted mess. And when I did get it clean, it sounds thin & weak. Not like any "65 Bassman I have ever played. Hopefully it is a bug or some error in the code.

I use the same amp in the X and Y position of a preset . I just alter the Y state with a little more volume and bite for soloing . Do I have to do the amp switch back and forth on both X and Y states in order for the amp to be updated ? Or just in the Y state . .... Thanks

Reactions: RDH
"...especially the 65 Bassman. It's now VERY hard to get clean & pretty much a distorted mess. And when I did get it clean, it sounds thin & weak. Not like any "65 Bassman I have ever played. Hopefully it is a bug or some error in the code."

IIRC, that amp sim is an usually modded Bassman that belongs to Dweezil Zappa. Cliff thought it was unique... but much gainier, and NOT typical of a normal '65 Bassman. So it's probably not like '65 Bassmans that ANY of us played, and probably not a good standard of comparison.

Am I alone in thinking this is starting to be a mess?

Don't get me wrong - I truly, madly, deeply love the constant improvement - but it feels like it's getting to be a pain in the shorts to keep track of where you are. It's starting to require some esoteric knowledge to get where you might want to be, or back to where you might want to be, with lotsa backups and the associated filing and currency issues involved. Using some of the solutions offered, you could actually be running more than one revision of some things.

"...especially the 65 Bassman. It's now VERY hard to get clean & pretty much a distorted mess. And when I did get it clean, it sounds thin & weak. Not like any "65 Bassman I have ever played. Hopefully it is a bug or some error in the code."

IIRC, that amp sim is an usually modded Bassman that belongs to Dweezil Zappa. Cliff thought it was unique... but much gainier, and NOT typical of a normal '65 Bassman. So it's probably not like '65 Bassmans that ANY of us played, and probably not a good standard of comparison.

Yes, it is Dweezil's unique Bassman but the sim has been that one for a long time & has now imploded in this latest firmware IMHO. I guess I'm the only one that thinks that as no one else has mentioned it. The vast majority of the amps sound great, just not this one.

Don't get me wrong - I truly, madly, deeply love the constant improvement - but it feels like it's getting to be a pain in the shorts to keep track of where you are. It's starting to require some esoteric knowledge to get where you might want to be, or back to where you might want to be, with lotsa backups and the associated filing and currency issues involved. Using some of the solutions offered, you could actually be running more than one revision of some things.

I guess that's the price of cutting edge technology development. We were overjoyed with this box already on firmware 9, when I joined ship - so I guess there's always the option to stay put on a firmware if you are happy with it - to avoid the hassle of adapting your presets to the firmware changes. As always with the Axe FX, there's choice :)

I guess every one has it own workflow. In my case it's no hassle at all.

I only run a few amp models for my main tones, and use no advanced parameters.
Even when the modeling changes much, I'm up and running in not time. Even though I have to do it oftenbecause of beta testing.
Reset amp and fiddle a bit with the ususal suspects: Master, Drive, BMT, Presence/HiCut.
That's it.
So I'm a little weary of the complaints TBH.

Asking again, see below

Does "update all presets" work or not? It worked great in last couple FW upgrades.

If this doesn't work because advanced params are irrelevant due to new changes (per Cliff I believe) then...

which amps need to be reset, just the ones in firmware release notes or can someone provide a list?

I'd like to do "update all presets" and then reset only the amps that really need it and redial only those in detail. Thanks in advance for any help.

I guess every one has it own workflow. In my case it's no hassle at all.

I only run a few amp models for my main tones, and use no advanced parameters.
Even when the modeling changes much, I'm up and running in not time. Even though I have to do it oftenbecause of beta testing.
Reset amp and fiddle a bit with the ususal suspects: Master, Drive, BMT, Presence/HiCut.
That's it.
So I'm a little weary of the complaints TBH.

Same here.

Once I listened to advice from the forum and adopted a similar approach. It really has been painless.

i probably couldn't feel more differently. but i don't try to hold on to what was. i embrace the improvements and the change and just roll with it. it always gets better.

Asking again, see below
Your first question has been answered at least 3 times my myself and by others as well. The answer is "no" it does not do the same thing as selecting another amp and reselecting your amp. It basically just makes all the presets updated to the latest FW compatibility but does not do the up/down AMP block reset thing. I would imagine that only the amps in the release notes are affected but I don't know that for sure.

I don't think it's esoteric or complicated. But reading this thread (and others) indicates that confusion is common concerning the update parameters function and resetting the amp block. Would this resetting also apply to other blocks if the code for them changed? I think a Cliff's Notes thread on the details of update parameters and resetting blocks would clear things up. The info is out there, but not in a condensed, easy-to-find, and official (from Fractal) form. I'm still hazy on the details myself.

It's easy to dig the hole too deep and miss what your looking for, It's really not that hard, just forget about what was and rebuild your patch and it will be better than before!! "If you try to hold on to the past , ya miss a lot of cool stuff" I literally rebuilt 6 patches with the 15 beta in about 10 minutes ,that I liked better than what I had!!

Back
Top Bottom