Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

Seeking a little sympathy? what is it with the insults?

how is that an insult at all? what other reason would there be to explain your view but for sympathy/empathy and a possible change in the process due to that?

i can't believe you're piling me in with the others, the non-power users, whatever that is.

i think many of "us" have said we do understand and do sympathize with those who have tons of presets to re-do after an update.

but my point simply is, that is how it is. no judgment. no agenda.

this is my guess - i'm probably totally wrong. values and changes are hypothetical.

let's say you have Bass set to 5 in FW14.

you upgrade to 15.

your Bass knob still says "5" - but because of the new firmware, 5 is actually now 3.

so you think your bass is on 5, when it's actually 3. you could go through each parameter one by one and change it, or you could switch amps away and back to do the parameter reset.

you do the switch, and though the Bass knob still says 5, it sounds very bassy now, since the new equivalent would be 3.

so you move the Bass knob until your ear tells you it's right, and now it's at 3.

regardless, i just do the amp switch thing and move the basic controls and i've got my tone in like a few minutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this forum suppose to about sharing knowledge and experience and not about complaining on firmware upgrades or that fact that people have to update each and every patch. Being a Embedded software engineer for 20 years in the greater Boston area, I can tell you that someone like Cliff, in this business is a rarity in that he is spending many many hours trying to give everyone the best firmware and DSP algorithms possible to achieve great guitar tone. He doesn't have to present BETA releases to the public, so we should all be grateful and not complain about the state of firmware releases.

Ive asked these questions about 4 different ways already! no answers. My gut feeling is you dont have to up down the amp you are getting all the advanced algorithms, you have just not "defaulted" them to a perceived ideal value. Once FW is updated it couldnt in my estimation be sounding the same as the old FW and just waiting for a reset of the amp, its done, just not "defaulted"
Yes it just don't have the default values in the advanced amp settings.The Default value match that of the amp being modeled to the new fw where modeling changes. the values you'd in your preset before perhaps will produce different sound results

No it's not true as this guy and you and others with your mind set, are completely missing the point of the discussion.

Seeking a little sympathy? what is it with the insults? no one can have a discussion anymore without insults huh?

TBH I thought I'd try to elaborate on WHY some of us are a little disheartened, so that others would have a little insight as to the scope of someone else's experience, but I guess I was wrong in trying to engage in the discussion and get others to understand that many people bought the Axe FX II because they are power users, not minimalists.

Again, I have not complained, as I personally knew this was coming and I utilize my own advice about continuing to use the previous FW until I get the latest up to snuff. I have nothing more to add on the topic, so time to move on......

I would submit that perhaps this isn't the appropriate thread for that discussion. This thread is specifically for discussing a public beta firmware release (comments, troubles, etc. directly related to this beta release). The discussion in question is its own topic and should be taking place in its own thread. As it stands this discussion has dominated the past few pages and the actual thread topic is all but forgotten at this point.

I remember my L6 pod days and praying for a decent firmware update. I sometimes get these nightmare that I have "some other' modeler and I get up a go check to make sure my coveted magic black box is still there. Every firmware is like getting money back to me - considering the man hours spent on the passionate improvement of this technology. Re-tweeking presets - First world problem I'm fortunate to have!

Note that taper only affects the response of the knob vs. position. It doesn't affect anything else. It just means that to get the same response you need to put the knob in a different position. Amp designers use tapers to voice their amps. It's not that it actually voices the amp though. It's because people dial in amps with their eyes. Human nature is to put the knobs near noon. We are reticent to deviate much from noon. Amp designers exploit this and use different tapers to change the sound of their amps WITH THE KNOBS AT NOON. A prime example are Bogner amps. Everyone says "Bogner amps are dark". No they aren't. But he uses a Log10A taper for the treble pot. It's a standard Marshall tone stack. Usually a linear taper pot is used for the treble. The treble knob at 5.0 (noon) on a Bogner is equivalent to the treble knob at 1.0 on a Marshall. People put the knob at 5.0 and go "wow, this amp is dark". No it isn't. If you turned the treble up to 8 or 9 it would sound a lot like a Plexi but humans are reticent to turn the knobs to extremes. Amp designers know this and exploit it to give their amps a "signature sound".

everyone should be required to read this.

gee... where have I seen this scenario played out before?... (v.1,2,3,4 etc, so on and so forth) it's amazing that history has this uncanny way of repeating itself... even on forums. Lets just be thankful, show a bit of gratitude and if you don't dig what the update has done to your existing tones... there are other options... and more than one.

Peace...
ist2-5793934-hand-peace-sign.jpg

Gosh. I haven't been this happy with my overall sound and setup in a long time. I'm stunned that there is this much talk about "issues". Especially issues that have been around since day 1 but that are really non-issues. Leave it to this forum; someone always pisses in the punchbowl.

Reactions: AZG
I think the best answer is this... buy an Axe-fx for each firmware you want to 'stay on' for whatever reason... This may only have to be two axe-fx's for most folks. One to stay on 'your perfrct tone firmware' or 'i don't want to upgrade because it will take 4000 minutes to update all of my 200 preseta'. This may sound like a joke, but I'm dead serious. If it bothers you guys that much, bite the bullet and buy another Axe-fx... you have to think of each update as a total new 'platform' which is what Cliff could have easily done years go. Its what any other blood sucking, money hungry, bottom line company would have done. We very well could have been on the Axe-fx 8 and i wouldn't have been surprised if some folks would have upgraded each and every time. Cut Cliff some slack... he's been gracious enough to give us 15 firmware revisions for free! Most if not all have been better than the last... Just left practice and redid my main distortion/clean patches and it sounded amazingly better than ever.

this is my guess - i'm probably totally wrong. values and changes are hypothetical.

let's say you have Bass set to 5 in FW14.

you upgrade to 15.

your Bass knob still says "5" - but because of the new firmware, 5 is actually now 3.

so you think your bass is on 5, when it's actually 3. you could go through each parameter one by one and change it, or you could switch amps away and back to do the parameter reset.

you do the switch, and though the Bass knob still says 5, it sounds very bassy now, since the new equivalent would be 3.

so you move the Bass knob until your ear tells you it's right, and now it's at 3.

regardless, i just do the amp switch thing and move the basic controls and i've got my tone in like a few minutes.

I'm all for improvements and I love the constant evolution, but my confusion lies in the fact that it has been said countless times that the controls were accurate to the real amp within fractions ever since MIMIC came about. What was that...firmware 9 or 10? So how could 5 now become 3?

At that time, Cliff specifically said that the sound would not change going forward because MIMIC made it indistinguishable from the real amp. So has that changed now that we're at 15? Was MIMIC improved so that it MIMIC's even more closely now? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass...it's an honest question. I only had a brief go with 15 but my main patches did sound different enough that I'll have to rework them once I have time.

I think the best answer is this... buy an Axe-fx for each firmware you want to 'stay on' for whatever reason... This may only have to be two axe-fx's for most folks. One to stay on 'your perfrct tone firmware' or 'i don't want to upgrade because it will take 4000 minutes to update all of my 200 preseta'. This may sound like a joke, but I'm dead serious. If it bothers you guys that much, bite the bullet and buy another Axe-fx... you have to think of each update as a total new 'platform' which is what Cliff could have easily done years go. Its what any other blood sucking, money hungry, bottom line company would have done. We very well could have been on the Axe-fx 8 and i wouldn't have been surprised if some folks would have upgraded each and every time. Cut Cliff some slack... he's been gracious enough to give us 15 firmware revisions for free! Most if not all have been better than the last... Just left practice and redid my main distortion/clean patches and it sounded amazingly better than ever.

I heartily endorse this viewpoint :)

I'm all for improvements and I love the constant evolution, but my confusion lies in the fact that it has been said countless times that the controls were accurate to the real amp within fractions ever since MIMIC came about. What was that...firmware 9 or 10? So how could 5 now become 3?

At that time, Cliff specifically said that the sound would not change going forward because MIMIC made it indistinguishable from the real amp. So has that changed now that we're at 15? Was MIMIC improved so that it MIMIC's even more closely now? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass...it's an honest question. I only had a brief go with 15 but my main patches did sound different enough that I'll have to rework them once I have time.

Just to clear it up, I just chose bass for no specific reason, I'm not sure it's one that changes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this forum suppose to about sharing knowledge and experience and not about complaining on firmware upgrades or that fact that people have to update each and every patch. Being a Embedded software engineer for 20 years in the greater Boston area, I can tell you that someone like Cliff, in this business is a rarity in that he is spending many many hours trying to give everyone the best firmware and DSP algorithms possible to achieve great guitar tone. He doesn't have to present BETA releases to the public, so we should all be grateful and not complain about the state of firmware releases.

It's a discussion forum, it's supposed to be about discussing things. Taking issue with certain things is potentially part of discussion. You can minimize the opinions of the people that you don't agree with by writing it off as complaining, but basically telling people that they should just shut up if they take issue with something seems rather rude and actually counter-productive.

Back
Top Bottom