Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

Another "update presets" / "toggle amp selection" question

After reading this entire thread - paying close attention to the 'up/down' amp selection and 'update presets' posts - I updated to 15b last night. I ended up with a question that I hadn't considered before. Here's how it went:

1 Downloaded 15b and used FractalBot to update from 14.02 to 15b.
2 The tone of my custom presets didn't have a noticeable change after rebooting the axe2.
3 Performed the 'update presets' function in the utility menu
4 The tone of my custom presets didn't have a noticeable change
5 Used tonemeisters suggestion of "copy the x state to the y state" on the amp block
6 Toggled amp selections on the x state (doing the up/down thing)
7 Woah! Suddenly a wet blanket on my preset tone. All right, what changed?
8 Displayed each page of the amp block and toggled back and forth between the x and y states to find the differences. (great suggestion tonemeister - thanks)
9 Changed the x state values to match the y state where the parameters changed.
10 After changing the parameters to the same values as 'my original settings' the tone between x and y were pretty much identical.

From what I understand, 'update presets' changes the preset 'file' to the new firmware protocol and the 'amp toggle' changes the amp settings to the new default settings.

So my question is as follows:

At what point in my process listed above are the new firmware algorithms actually being "used" by the Axe in processing tone?

I would assume that the new algorithms are already at work after step one listed above.
From what I gathered in reading this thread, my third step - update presets - is not even necessary. My sixth step - toggle between amps - only changes amp parameter values to the new defaults. AFAIK there is no maneuver necessary to "initialize new algorithms".

It does not. I just tried it. Maybe you did something different? Did you save after changing to a different amp model and then re-selected the old one? If I just tap up and down once, the MV does not reset on my unit.

Allways has ,and still does here! Something isn't right with either your unit or the process your using to reset! I've owned 4 different Ax Fx II units , currently have an XL and a MK II, and all of them have always reset the master with an amp reset! Try saving a master vol amp to max and then reset It should revert to default usually between 3 and 5.

Allways has ,and still does here! Something isn't right with either your unit or the process your using to reset! I've owned 4 different Ax Fx II units , currently have an XL and a MK II, and all of them have always reset the master with an amp reset! Try saving a master vol amp to max and then reset It should revert to default usually between 3 and 5.
As I said there might be something else interfering here. Maybe scene controllers. I'll take a look once I get the time to fiddle around again.

After reading this entire thread - paying close attention to the 'up/down' amp selection and 'update presets' posts - I updated to 15b last night. I ended up with a question that I hadn't considered before. Here's how it went:

1 Downloaded 15b and used FractalBot to update from 14.02 to 15b.
2 The tone of my custom presets didn't have a noticeable change after rebooting the axe2.
3 Performed the 'update presets' function in the utility menu
4 The tone of my custom presets didn't have a noticeable change
5 Used tonemeisters suggestion of "copy the x state to the y state" on the amp block
6 Toggled amp selections on the x state (doing the up/down thing)
7 Woah! Suddenly a wet blanket on my preset tone. All right, what changed?
8 Displayed each page of the amp block and toggled back and forth between the x and y states to find the differences. (great suggestion tonemeister - thanks)
9 Changed the x state values to match the y state where the parameters changed.
10 After changing the parameters to the same values as 'my original settings' the tone between x and y were pretty much identical.

From what I understand, 'update presets' changes the preset 'file' to the new firmware protocol and the 'amp toggle' changes the amp settings to the new default settings.

So my question is as follows:

At what point in my process listed above are the new firmware algorithms actually being "used" by the Axe in processing tone?

I would assume that the new algorithms are already at work after step one listed above.
From what I gathered in reading this thread, my third step - update presets - is not even necessary. My sixth step - toggle between amps - only changes amp parameter values to the new defaults. AFAIK there is no maneuver necessary to "initialize new algorithms".

you should only adjust those advanced parameters that you have moved away from default values. some of the advanced parameters will have new default values after the update. you don't want to put those back to the old default values. in fact you're better off just adjusting master volume and the other basic settings (like bright, fat etc). this is why your presets didn't sound as good after you tweaked all the advanced parameters back to their old default values.

I was planning to study for my end of semester exams but ended up having one of the most satisfying jams of my life. You couldn't have picked a worse time to release this update, Cliff. ;)

Thanks for the reply Simeon.

....this is why your presets didn't sound as good after you tweaked all the advanced parameters back to their old default values......

On the contrary, after adjusting some of the parameters that changed (sag, lo res freq, lo res and presence) to my 'previous values' my presets sounded very similar (if not exactly the same) as the tone I got just after step 1 or step 3 of my update process .... the tone I like.

So my question remains: At what point in my process listed above are the new firmware algorithms actually being "used" by the Axe in processing tone?

To look at it another way .... other than resetting the default values, what is the point of doing the up/down/up amp toggle procedure?

Does it mean that if I don't do the 'up/down/up amp select thing' that the new algorithms are not fully being used to process the tone in the axe?

I perceived that I had the same tone in my preset at step 1 or step 3 as I got after step 9.

Just trying to get a better understanding.

ps. Loving the wreckers in the new firmware.

I take snapshots of my presets with the iPhone before updating them. Easier than writing all that info down. Especially if you have 70 presets that are in use.

I don't think duplicating your previous settings will give you the sound you used to have. When Cliff reworks the push and pull of each component section of the modeling, the result is, the floor shifted under our feet. Bass of 3.5 that sounded great, might need to be 3.65 or 2.85 or even 5.25 now. It's impossible to know, given how many amp models there are. It's best to use your ears.

The recommendation is to recall an adjacent amp model, and then return to the model in your preset, but I've usually ended up resetting the amp block and starting over.

Just wanted to say thanks, I took yours and Chris K's advice and "used my ears" instead of using my old settings and just got my main preset sounding better than ever. Thanks again.

Reactions: RDH
After reading through all this thread, I'm beginning to think I'm still running the 8.0 (?) firmware my AxeFx shipped with even though I'm updated to 14.02 and have been through all the interim revisions. I've never done the "toggle amp" trick before, so I guess I'm still using the algorithms that were originally loaded? I've done the "reset all presets" thing, but if I'm understanding what I'm reading, that doesn't affect the amp algos? I might be in for a helluva surprise.

After reading through all this thread, I'm beginning to think I'm still running the 8.0 (?) firmware my AxeFx shipped with even though I'm updated to 14.02 and have been through all the interim revisions. I've never done the "toggle amp" trick before, so I guess I'm still using the algorithms that were originally loaded? I've done the "reset all presets" thing, but if I'm understanding what I'm reading, that doesn't affect the amp algos? I might be in for a helluva surprise.

Confession time.

I think my Axe came with FW9 on it and I never did the toggle amp thing until 13 (I think).

And I was truly shocked and finally understood what everybody on the forum was talking about in terms of improvements.

Pain in the ass ? Hell ya.

Worth it ? OH HELL YA !!

Having said that I still haven't installed 15b and probably wont until its final and accompanied by new AE.

And gaining some user IR slots would be icing on top o' the cake.

No you are not, presets are just data, not algorithms, and a new firmware just interprets the data differently

Confession time.

I think my Axe came with FW9 on it and I never did the toggle amp thing until 13 (I think).

And I was truly shocked and finally understood what everybody on the forum was talking about in terms of improvements.

Pain in the ass ? Hell ya.

Worth it ? OH HELL YA !!

Having said that I still haven't installed 15b and probably wont until its final and accompanied by new AE.

And gaining some user IR slots would be icing on top o' the cake.

Well, that's good news. Don't look forward to the exercise, but it sounds like it pays off so...

Sure would be nice if there was a utility to do this. Computers are all about automating repetitious drudgery - this looks like a prime candidate. Maybe integrate it into AxeEdit if the AFX can't do it for some reason.

Well, that's good news. Don't look forward to the exercise, but it sounds like it pays off so...

Sure would be nice if there was a utility to do this. Computers are all about automating repetitious drudgery - this looks like a prime candidate. Maybe integrate it into AxeEdit if the AFX can't do it for some reason.

Resetting the amp does not always produce better sounds IMHO. It would be hard to know which ones improved from resetting & which didn't if it was automated without being able to compare each one & then decide.

The placebo affect of this magic box w new FW is strong and I *thought* I heard a difference before I truly toggled amps - and at that point I FOR SURE heard differences.

Resetting the amp does not always produce better sounds IMHO. It would be hard to know which ones improved from resetting & which didn't

well, the reset isn't done to "make it sound better." it's to get the settings/parameters/knobs to produce the intended results of their position, as the underlying code has changed. you may have to readjust the knobs to get it to sound like it did before or to make it sound "good" again. but many are finding they just have to rebalance the Master Volume and Gain(s) for the most part.

Resetting the amp does not always produce better sounds IMHO. It would be hard to know which ones improved from resetting & which didn't if it was automated without being able to compare each one & then decide.

I agree, but if I understand the process correctly, you don't have a choice when comparing. If you do the amp flip thing and change the algorithm, you're committed. So, if you liked the old revision better, you'd have to reload the old firmware. While you can certainly do that, what if you liked the new version on a bunch of amps you already compared? Gotta go through and flip them all again.

I don't know that there's an easy solution to this, but I'm hoping better minds will come up with something.

Back
Top Bottom