Axe FX II and Kemper Profiler (Yes, another one...please read!)

Your post has caused me to do some more research on the current Kemper offerings, which I have not seriously researched since purchasing the first AFX. They've added quite a bit, option wise, and the option to get away from the odd "toaster-esque" appearance of the original unit are sure to be a plus. It was also apparent to me that the differences between the intention (or maybe focus is a better word) of each has become even more clearly defined.

Having looked a little deeper, I would still buy the Axe Fx first. It works more like my guitar to pedalboard to Road King rig in both concept and work flow.

On the subject of size and weight, I totally agree. I had both a 2x12 and a 4x12 for the RK, depending on stage size. All of it was in ATA road cases (the heavier 3/8" ones) and they were oppressively heavy! My Axe FX II rig, with stand, monitor, and all takes up the floor space of a vertical 2x12 cab and will literally fit in the back seat of my wife's Honda CRV, guitars and all. There's a set up pic of it here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/62436-compact-stand-option-working-great.html I definitely do not regret losing all that size and weight at every gig, and most importantly, I have even more great sound options. Your back is going to thank you!

I saw a video of a guy profiling an Axe Fx with a Kemper. They don't sound the same (use headphones) but it is interesting that it can be done and sound even reasonably good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxxeLa1fYKI is the link. I would love to play with one.

Anyway, just rambling. :) Back to my guitar!

That rack looks great. I don't see a green bag though. Do you have a solution you use to carry the footpedal?

I think the reason it's more is that it's two separate shipments. you could mail 2 things that weigh 5bs each and it will be double shipping because it's 2 shipments. It has nothing to do with distance or weight or anything else. Had there been 2 RoadKing heads shipped it would have been twice as much. Like others have said, insurance adds a lot. I doubt the RK was insured considering it was 20 dollars to ship something that heavy. If you aren't worried about it, take your chance on waiving insurance and just get it cheap.

mbrown3;1155705. I simply mentioned that it bothers me that it costs $80 to ship 20lbs worth of gear. The end. People got upset and started arguing about it said:
It doesn't cost $80 to ship 20lbs of gear. It cost $80 to ship and INSURE 20lbs of gear that is worth over $2000, but if this additional mention of shipping is the push you needed to go buy a Kemper, your welcome =)

No better way to show a bunch of strangers on a forum, who honestly couldn't care less what gear your using, than to buy something you might not actually want just to prove a point

I think the reason it's more is that it's two separate shipments. you could mail 2 things that weigh 5bs each and it will be double shipping because it's 2 shipments. It has nothing to do with distance or weight or anything else. Had there been 2 RoadKing heads shipped it would have been twice as much. Like others have said, insurance adds a lot. I doubt the RK was insured considering it was 20 dollars to ship something that heavy. If you aren't worried about it, take your chance on waiving insurance and just get it cheap.

$20? No, it was $40. Still, half the price for 90lbs. I do question whether it had insurance, but I was told it did, so if something had happened to it (fortunately it didn't), then the studio I bought it from would have been on the hook for it.

After reading your post in the KPA forum I can further appreciate both the Kemper and your situation.

Also all of this Axe vs Kemper talk is great but your sound is only as good as your weakest link. I think that it is important to know what you will be playing out of/through (guitar cab, frfr, direct in, etc) because it will affect your sound using either unit. For example.. a lot of people love the Axe but hate it coming out of a guitar cab. Just another small thing to think about.

right, then if it had been two pieces at 40 dollars a piece, you're looking at 80 bucks, essentially what you are hesitant to pay now. they don't ship the Axe and MFC in a big box together. It's two separate decently sized boxes. Fractal can't control how much UPS charges to ship those two packages.

lmfao.

Axe-Fx vs Kemper Determining Factor: Which one costs less to ship?

if shipping costs are a factor, perhaps you shouldn't buy into something this expensive in general. i'm being serious. if you buy high-end gear, you usually need to buy other high-end gear/accessories that go along with it. i just don't see this going well if $100 or so for shipping is a major factor.

After I took my Axe Fx II off the lot, I was out 300-400 bucks...I never had an issue with the invasive taxes we have to endure, nor the shipping cost. All I knew was that I'm going to be a privileged participant in a page of history in the making, which made all those stupid friction costs irrelevant to consider. Since you can afford the 80 bucks, just leave it at an anomaly, pay it and get all that Axe Fx goodness in your rock'n roll hands asap!

It doesn't cost $80 to ship 20lbs of gear. It cost $80 to ship and INSURE 20lbs of gear that is worth over $2000, but if this additional mention of shipping is the push you needed to go buy a Kemper, your welcome =)

No better way to show a bunch of strangers on a forum, who honestly couldn't care less what gear your using, than to buy something you might not actually want just to prove a point

If we did not argue on occasion I think people here would literally explode. It's not all black and white, people are grey, ... and generally funny looking.

It's a tough call, and I think you are going to get biased suggestions on both forums. The best advice I can give, is in relation to my own experience.

If I had not owned a kemper, before owning an Axe FX, I would not respect and enjoy my Axe FX nearly as much. The grass will always appear greener on the other side, and there will be moments with both units that you will get frustrated, and during those times you will be telling yourself you wish you had bought the other unit. You NEED to try both, and not just for a few minutes, spend a couple days with each unit, record a few tracks and re-record with the other unit and compare. Using your ears and having hands on experience with both units will ultimately help you make the best decision.

Sound, like everything else is subjective. Every single person will have a differing opinion on what sounds good, great, or amazing.

Do some networking in your local area and find someone with either of the two units, explain your situation and hope they are kind enough to show you, and let you play the units.

I honestly feel as tho asking these questions on the internet are only going to make your decision more difficult, and try to put cost aside. Yes they are expensive, but I can honestly say the initial sting of the purchase will go away when your new mix's make your balls tingle..

After reading your post in the KPA forum I can further appreciate both the Kemper and your situation.

Also all of this Axe vs Kemper talk is great but your sound is only as good as your weakest link. I think that it is important to know what you will be playing out of/through (guitar cab, frfr, direct in, etc) because it will affect your sound using either unit. For example.. a lot of people love the Axe but hate it coming out of a guitar cab. Just another small thing to think about.

Yeah, I hear you, but the truth is, until I can try out either unit through either a power amp/cab or FRFR, I won't know. But once I get either one that's the first thing I'll check out.

right, then if it had been two pieces at 40 dollars a piece, you're looking at 80 bucks, essentially what you are hesitant to pay now. they don't ship the Axe and MFC in a big box together. It's two separate decently sized boxes. Fractal can't control how much UPS charges to ship those two packages.

Except it was $40 to ship 90lbs, not $40 to ship 10lbs each. But...I get that it's not Fractal's issue. Once Cliff chimed in with that, I'm fine with it. Not that I don't think it's still crazy, but I get where they are coming from. Perhaps they should think about an option to ship them together. It might cut the shipping costs in half.

lmfao.

Axe-Fx vs Kemper Determining Factor: Which one costs less to ship?

if shipping costs are a factor, perhaps you shouldn't buy into something this expensive in general. i'm being serious. if you buy high-end gear, you usually need to buy other high-end gear/accessories that go along with it. i just don't see this going well if $100 or so for shipping is a major factor.

It would be idiotic to allow shipping costs to be a determining factor. But I haven't heard anyone here that is trying to do that.

I will say that one knock on the Axe-FX is that some of its users apparently don't know how to read. :-/

All of my gear is very expensive. Both of my tube amps cost well over $2,000 each. Three of my guitars cost over $2,000, one cost over $3,500, and one cost almost $5,000. Go back and read what I've said about the shipping before you post stupid things about it.

After I took my Axe Fx II off the lot, I was out 300-400 bucks...I never had an issue with the invasive taxes we have to endure, nor the shipping cost. All I knew was that I'm going to be a privileged participant in a page of history in the making, which made all those stupid friction costs irrelevant to consider. Since you can afford the 80 bucks, just leave it at an anomaly, pay it and get all that Axe Fx goodness in your rock'n roll hands asap!

Again, I wish everyone would please stop trying to convince me to just bite the bullet, get over it, etc. I'm not paying $80 for 20lbs of product, period. I'll wait for a free shipping promo or buy used. It's not an issue for me. I have no problem waiting as long as that might take. I don't make rash decisions...I do try to make the best ones. If you don't like my decision, fine. Disagree with me and keep your mouth shut. Holy crap, I swear you people have far more of a hangup about this than I do.

Everyone please leave the shipping the alone. Let's show this newcomer what this community is all about: helping and sharing. I like to think one of the things that differentiates Fractal Audio is the community so let's show him the positive aspects of that.

It's a tough call, and I think you are going to get biased suggestions on both forums. The best advice I can give, is in relation to my own experience.

If I had not owned a kemper, before owning an Axe FX, I would not respect and enjoy my Axe FX nearly as much. The grass will always appear greener on the other side, and there will be moments with both units that you will get frustrated, and during those times you will be telling yourself you wish you had bought the other unit. You NEED to try both, and not just for a few minutes, spend a couple days with each unit, record a few tracks and re-record with the other unit and compare. Using your ears and having hands on experience with both units will ultimately help you make the best decision.

Sound, like everything else is subjective. Every single person will have a differing opinion on what sounds good, great, or amazing.

Do some networking in your local area and find someone with either of the two units, explain your situation and hope they are kind enough to show you, and let you play the units.

I honestly feel as tho asking these questions on the internet are only going to make your decision more difficult, and try to put cost aside. Yes they are expensive, but I can honestly say the initial sting of the purchase will go away when your new mix's make your balls tingle..

Fair enough, but...I've already tried finding folks locally that own either unit. I put the word out through the two studios I do most of my work with, along with getting word out through the bands I play in. Most guys had never heard of either unit (not necessarily guitar players, mind you), only one guy had heard about the Kemper. But I do plan to do everything in my power to try both.

I'll disagree with you on the helpfulness of posting the question, though...other than the constant nonsense here about shipping, I've already gotten a much clearer picture of things from both forums. Sometimes a bit difficult to dial out the bias, but I don't mind bias; people are passionate about the stuff they love. The BLIND bias is a lot harder to deal with (i.e., people that just like to argue, people that haven't tried both products, or the people that think someone's trolling because they ask questions). Most of the non-shipping-related posts have been very helpful, from people who genuinely want to answer questions...like mature adults. I'm grateful.

Back
Top Bottom