Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my comparison of beta 2 vs beta 1 using Recto 2 and the Maxon. This is my first time ever reamping something so I hope I did it correctly. Same settings for both but I reset the amp and drive blocks beforehand just in case. First half is beta 2, second half is beta 1.

In beta 2, it sounds/feels a bit more boomy in the low end or perhaps low mids. Not sure if that sort of thing will come across in this clip or if I'm imagining it.

Also I'm sure most people will find this to be fizzy garbage. Sounds ferocious to me. :cool:

care to share the preset ? curious to know how you tweaked it. for some reason I can’t make it sound this good.

care to share the preset ? curious to know how you tweaked it. for some reason I can’t make it sound this good.

Here's all you gotta do:

1. Maxoff - Drive at 0.3 (might as well be at zero, really), Level at 5. Everyone usually maxes out the level but I feel like it's too compressed that way)

2. Recto 2 Red Modern - Gain 6, Bass 4, Mid 6.5, Treble 6.5, Presence 5.5. Preamp sag .4 (maybe lower?). Level at -6 or so. Everything else stock.

3. Cab was Mix 15 from York Audio's Mesa 4x12 V2 pack.

Adjust amp gain to taste. Gain at 6 should be just enough for most guitars unless you have pretty weak pickups. That clip was recorded using a PRS with an HFS pickup so your results may vary. If you like how the tone comes out, please PM me a clip!

There were no changes or parameter resets for the Drive block. There were several parameters reset in the Amp block: bias, negative feedback, bias excursion times, Input EQ Low Cut, and several others.

If you had manually changed the Input EQ Low Cut to a higher value it would've been reset to default by the latest beta. That could possibly be what some people are experiencing.

In the end it doesn't matter what someone's OPINION of what sounds better is. All that matters is how the models compare to the reference amps and every firmware is an improvement in that regard. The latest beta solves several minor but nagging inaccuracies that have been bedeviling me for years.

FWIW, Rectos are big, flubby, messy sounding things. What you hear on recordings have been heavily eq'd to sit in the mix. Because Rectos are big, flubby, messy sounding things they respond well to subtractive EQ, which is the technique used by producers and engineers when mixing.
The Beta 2 version definitely has more whoomp to it, like my tremoverb.

Most of the claims of things being different between betas that didn't have any changes to the amp modeling turn out to be nothing more than our ears playing tricks on us. A few have been found to be actual issues that were addressed. Having a recording showing the difference(s) would save a lot of back and forth discussions trying to determine if something did in fact change.
So how do we know what is a bug or what is too much (cold pressed) coffee (slammed down of course), some sort of ear fatigue or confirmation bias? The whole premise of objective facts could possibly only happen if we had recordings released by FAS of what each amp sounds like. Even then different guitars, rooms, playing styles etc. would bring in subjectivity. Till then I would personally have people let them know what they are hearing and let FAS decide what to do with the feedback.

There were several parameters reset in the Amp block: bias, negative feedback, bias excursion times, Input EQ Low Cut, and several others.

If you had manually changed the Input EQ Low Cut to a higher value it would've been reset to default by the latest beta. That could possibly be what some people are experiencing.

Per Cliff's comment above - for those of you who use LiveGold TonePack presets, I often use the LO CUT Input EQ a LOT to tame certain amps bottom end. It's an awesome tool.

So if you loaded up firmware 21 and are playing LiveGold presets, your preset's amp sound may get very bassy unlike it was in 20.04 -- and now you know the likely reason why that's happening.

You guys should have a backup made of your 20.04 firmware LiveGold and your personal presets BEFORE you update you do any firmware update. If you go to firmware 21 public beta, and then try to revert back to firmware 20.04 on existing presets, understand that it appears the amp model will now still have the new firmware 21 reset amp values Cliff listed above.

To get back to the 20.04 sound, you'd now also need replace the LiveGold presets with those saved under 20.04, after reloading firmware 20.04/reverting back. Just so ya'll know!

Last edited:
IIRC, having just reread the long Cygnus 1 release thread, some people (including Cliff? — but see edit) started preferring shorter IRs, and/or less of them.
Your last line makes me think of that. It may just mean that the firmware became more balanced in general though, although yes, seems it did add a lot of detail as well.

[edit] One of these was https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...gnus-firmware-public-beta.170253/post-2051929
and oops, Cliff's comment was from before that update and I don't know if he still feels the same...
"I've actually been turning down the IR length lately on my personal patches, typically 512 samples, as I find it makes the IR 'clearer'."
www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/those-who-own-a-axe-fx-and-a-kemper-whats-your-story.2092607/post-29444860

The thing is I'm not using any IRs, because I use my real Mesa cabs, with (beta 1) high gain amps they sound like I forgot to add an IR in my preset.
I'm going to upload to beta 2 and see If I have the same experience.

The thing is I'm not using any IRs, because I use my real Mesa cabs, with (beta 1) high gain amps they sound like I forgot to add an IR in my preset.
What Speaker Impedance Curve are you using?

When I used traditional speakers, I found the 2x12 Zilla SIC worked best for my pair of 1x12 Bogner cabs with Celestion Creambacks. Recently, I replaced those speakers to Celestion F12-X200 which allow me to use the Cab Blocks.

I wish I could be provide a more definitive fix. From your description it sounds like it my be a SIC issue.

There were no changes or parameter resets for the Drive block. There were several parameters reset in the Amp block: bias, negative feedback, bias excursion times, Input EQ Low Cut, and several others.

In the end it doesn't matter what someone's OPINION of what sounds better is. All that matters is how the models compare to the reference amps and every firmware is an improvement in that regard. The latest beta solves several minor but nagging inaccuracies that have been bedeviling me for years.

FWIW, Rectos are big, flubby, messy sounding things. What you hear on recordings have been heavily eq'd to sit in the mix. Because Rectos are big, flubby, messy sounding things they respond well to subtractive EQ, which is the technique used by producers and engineers when mixing.
And the new rectos are also Tight on "low" volumes.

I mean. I can only use it on 2 on a rehersal room, and get a really tight tone with only the amp. Tried to connect a Fortin 33 and Ts9 and is sounded too much bass cutted and chunky.

ok I'm on Beta 2 now definitely not having the same experience as before but I think the Mesa V30s sound a bit dull as they have a more mid focus, they lack bass with this Beta its like the sound has less body i changed to my chiness v30s which have more low end and less mid focus and I find there is a better result, but as I have been using Mesa amps (which come with mesa V30s) it should be the opposite result.

And the new rectos are also Tight on "low" volumes.

I mean. I can only use it on 2 on a rehersal room, and get a really tight tone with only the amp. Tried to connect a Fortin 33 and Ts9 and is sounded too much bass cutted and chunky.
Ha? you have tested a Fortin 33? As it is overpriced for a single knob boost (actually 300🤦) is it great or?

Here's my comparison of beta 2 vs beta 1 using Recto 2 and the Maxon. This is my first time ever reamping something so I hope I did it correctly. Same settings for both but I reset the amp and drive blocks beforehand just in case. First half is beta 2, second half is beta 1.

In beta 2, it sounds/feels a bit more boomy in the low end or perhaps low mids. Not sure if that sort of thing will come across in this clip or if I'm imagining it.

Also I'm sure most people will find this to be fizzy garbage. Sounds ferocious to me. :cool:

I hear more girth in the first sample, which I'm assuming is beta 2. That's the one I'd use. Really like the chord structure, especially at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom