Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my comparison of beta 2 vs beta 1 using Recto 2 and the Maxon. This is my first time ever reamping something so I hope I did it correctly. Same settings for both but I reset the amp and drive blocks beforehand just in case. First half is beta 2, second half is beta 1.

In beta 2, it sounds/feels a bit more boomy in the low end or perhaps low mids. Not sure if that sort of thing will come across in this clip or if I'm imagining it.

Also I'm sure most people will find this to be fizzy garbage. Sounds ferocious to me. :cool:

First half sounds better to me (which is beta 2, right?)
If so, why are many people talking about beta 1 being better? Weird.

When you open the clip via "listen in browser" you have a full image/visual of the 2 parts, once its playing you can simply select where you want it to start, then click the same part in the other half, ad infinitem, it just continues playing where you click. This way you can hear and compare the parts however you wish to scrutinize them back and forth.
I'm pretty familiar with how soundcloud works, but not so easy to do that on a mobile phone, plus the silence gap you get as the browser loads the precise spot introduces perception biases.

Long story short, the better way to do that is how I described.

"Describing sound" is useful.

The engineering side of audio has better terms for describing sound, but they're engineers and roll that way. Musicians are more informal, use "dude" and "bro" and say things like "that has balls" without specifying what "that" was. :)
I'd rather talk about spectral centroids, mel-spectrograms, and mel-frequency cepstrums :tearsofjoy:

First half sounds better to me (which is beta 2, right?)
cuz the descriptive "better" is meaningless without other more precise descriptive surrounding words, or "better" yet: before/after soundclips as discussed above, and even then, if the clip is not clearly pointing out an issue with the beta release (ie tone is percieved to be waay off from a known real life amp instance of the model), then probaby not so relevent to the purpose of a fw beta thread (to report issues).

Last edited:
There's something wrong with the B7k drive model.
Mix seems to control level and not mix.
Setting Drive to 10 and Mix to 0 definitely turns off the "wet" signal, and Mix to 10 results in lots of distortion. It seems to be working for me.

If anything, the default Level at 5 doesn't supply unity gain when I compare the bypassed and engaged states, but that might be the difference between "accurate" and "ideal".

"Better", when applied to sound, is pretty much a moot discussion because it's subjective - "better" to who?

Cliff isn't after "better", he's after accuracy because he can measure that and prove whether it's truer to the original. It's up to us to make it sound "better" according to whatever it is that constitutes "better" for us, by twisting the knobs and picking the cabinet(s).

Oddity I just found. With Beta 2, if I switch delay types in some of my patches, from ambient to stereo tape for example, I get a significant gap before the sound comes in. But reloading the delay block fixes the problem.

"Better", when applied to sound, is pretty much a moot discussion because it's subjective - "better" to who?

Cliff isn't after "better", he's after accuracy because he can measure that and prove whether it's truer to the original. It's up to us to make it sound "better" according to whatever it is that constitutes "better" for us, by twisting the knobs and picking the cabinet(s).

I don’t get this discussion.
I pointed out my personal and of course subjective opionion and asked why others prefer beta 1.
I don’t have 99.9% of the included amps and can only trust the device - i only care if it sounds good, no matter how accurate it is in the end.

I was just kidding of course. I know that all of your innovations and hard work that can will eventually make it over to the other platforms. Keep up the good work and thanks again to you and the whole team for continuing to improve all the Fractal devices. Color me waiting patiently! 🍺😎🎸
The classic "just kidding"...

I appreciate the intense focus with which Fractal persues model accuacy. Ax models are based on sought after real world amps, that, just on their own, offer their owners endless musical possibilities. Where as competitors may offer blah models of those amps, Axe models are often more like their real world counterparts in that one could enjoy Axefx just using 1 or 2 fav models and that's it - just like the real world hardware. The difference with Fractal is the fine precision of accuracy imo - that is why it sounds gooder / betterer.

Last edited:
Everything seems perceptibly clearer and more detailed with audibly higher precision.
More real analog.
Not easy to describe.
As if a certain roughness is taken away, both in clean and distorted sounds.
Before 21, when playing multiple sides (low,mid,high gain) the sound quickly became muddy,roughness and similar across different amps. With 21b2 this has improved significantly, better high and low end, better string separation. More realistic.

The factory presets 19.04 000-100 Enhanced with all newer parameters

Everything seems perceptibly clearer and more detailed with audibly higher precision.
More real analog.
Not easy to describe.
My guitars sound more like I'd expect them to. Modelers and modeling in the past have gotten in the way of the guitar, even when running a clean model. The way I describe it is it's as if the amps have stepped back and are letting the guitars shine.

My guitars sound more like I'd expect them to. Modelers and modeling in the past have gotten in the way of the guitar, even when running a clean model. The way I describe it is it's as if the amps have stepped back and are letting the guitars shine.
I hadn't thought of it that way either, interesting.
When you hear the devices from back then, you wonder....
I once thought something like that was good? The guitar from back then has remained to this day.

I'm pretty familiar with how soundcloud works, but not so easy to do that on a mobile phone, plus the silence gap you get as the browser loads the precise spot introduces perception biases.

Long story short, the better way to do that is how I described.

Not familiar enough. "LIsten in Browser". I used a mobile phone. There is no silence gap. There is no story.

I hadn't thought of it that way either, interesting.
When you hear the devices from back then, you wonder....
I once thought something like that was good? The guitar from back then has remained to this day.
For me, it's not that it was 'good', it was 'good enough'. When I bought the AX8 however, the gap closed tremendously - to the point that it didn't feel like it was as much of a compromise. IMO, there is now no compromise at all and hasn't been for me since FW 11.

Oddity I just found. With Beta 2, if I switch delay types in some of my patches, from ambient to stereo tape for example, I get a significant gap before the sound comes in. But reloading the delay block fixes the problem.
Hoping this doesnt get lost in the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom