Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.03

Attn: Dave Merrill or anyone else..
So ...your making a deal about adjusting (probably) one knob on the compressor?
Seriously dude! Is that really worth noting as an issue/conern...?

He was replying to someone commenting on the factory presets possibly needing updates and calling out the most likely thing in this firmware update that could affect them.
I can understand @Dave Merrill comment.

Let me put it into perspective.

Let's say that you have 30 presets that you have that utilize a compressor block with 4 channels of compressor.

That's 120 levels that need to be adjusted. That's some time that needs to be invested in that activity.

I'm not saying that the juice of benefit is not worth the squeeze of all the benefits you get with this firmware update, but it is still time that needs to be used to ensure your preset levels are balanced across those presets if you want the benefits of the update.

And to add a bit to it...people like me who don't understand compressors well need to go back and look what the previous settings were to have as a starting point since they defaulted to 10 on some compressor types.

The provider Fremen has also updated all of its presets to 18.03, and other providers are obviously doing it too, because it is necessary. So why not the factory presets too?

One weird thing I noticed is when I updated the FM9 to the new beta firmware that's supposed to include the same compressor improvements as this firmware, it didn't change the compressor settings on my presets. The same exact presets on the Axe 3 had the compression setting changed from 4 to 10.

I can understand @Dave Merrill comment.

Let me put it into perspective.

Let's say that you have 30 presets that you have that utilize a compressor block with 4 channels of compressor.

That's 120 levels that need to be adjusted. That's some time that needs to be invested in that activity.

I'm not saying that the juice of benefit is not worth the squeeze of all the benefits you get with this firmware update, but it is still time that needs to be used to ensure your preset levels are balanced across those presets if you want the benefits of the update.
That is exactly why I dont have a preset for every song when I gig.

One weird thing I noticed is when I updated the FM9 to the new beta firmware that's supposed to include the same compressor improvements as this firmware, it didn't change the compressor settings on my presets. The same exact presets on the Axe 3 had the compression setting changed from 4 to 10.
This issue was resolved, as noted above.

I was the person who raised that problem in the 18 beta thread. When I installed 18.03 full release my Compressor settings did not change.

Back
Top Bottom