Axe-Fx Disco Party

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
So I was working with a new artist (nameless of course) and they were asking about sidechaining in the Axe-Fx.

"Sure, that's do-able..." I said, "Like to a kick drum you mean?"
"Exactly."
"OK, get your drum machine out."
"Hrm? I don't have one of those. This is going to be the feed from a live drummer."
"Well, yeah but we need something to test it with. ... Wait a second, I've GOT it!"

At this point, I whipped up a little kick drum in the Axe-Fx, used it to demo the side chain and we went our happy separate ways.

Now, sitting at home late last night, I got to thinking, "How far can I take this?"
I added a fat clap, highhats, some compression and distortion...a squarish bass synth... a groove delay...
And so, I present the result. AXE-FX DISCO PARTY, plus an admittedly noodly first take recording.
I'm using 3 footpedals to control it: frequency, Q, and feedback, and choosing presets to begin and end.

Everything you hear is one Axe-Fx II preset, played live in realtime (stock Telecaster).
Preset attached for further tweaking or creations.
Minimal techno version to follow ;-)

Have fun.

View attachment Axe-Fx Disco Party.syx

WARNING: This preset makes sound as soon as you load it!

-m@

Sounds cool. Does the compressor output also include audio from the sidechain row on the Axe II? (I'm still wondering if the standard/Ultra doing this is a bug.)

Seriously cool, but I noticed that because it's pushing the very edge of the CPU limit that if any sound plays from the computer it drives the cpu cycles beyond max. As long as no sound comes through though it's fine.

Something else I did was I saved it to a second preset and removed the filter block right after the amp. Creates a cool mod to the preset and lowers the cpu usage down to about 93% as well.

Loving this preset. The work that went into this is mind boggling. Certainly way beyond my abilities to comprehend, and definitely one of the niftiest things I've heard the axe do.

Back
Top Bottom