AX8 Price Point - At what price do you get upset?

Hi!

To be honest - I am already upset because we don´t know the price right now.

Hey, we are the customers. Something is completely wrong here.

Yours

Don't forget that the AX-8 hasn't even been officially announced on the FAS website yet. We're lucky they let us know early on that they were working on it, but so far all info is just to "tease" us. It has not officially been unveiled or advertised yet.

Don't forget that the AX-8 hasn't even been officially announced on the FAS website yet. We're lucky they let us know early on that they were working on it, but so far all info is just to "tease" us. It has not officially been unveiled or advertised yet.

That's not true. It is up as an official post on their Facebook. Not a price announcement, but certainly unveiled AND advertised!

We all paid $1349 for our FX8. If the AX8 has all the same effects plus amp modeling, at what price do you get upset? There have been hints that people will be pleasantly surprised by the AX8 pricing. I know if it's $1349 I'll be pissed. If it's $1499 I might still feel like I overpaid for the FX8. No, I will feel that way.

I'm editing my post to add that this pre-supposes that the AX8 will work with an analog amp in 4cm without excess noise. While possibly not as seamless as the FX8, there seem to be a number of users who do this already.

If it can't, then the premise of my question is admittedly invalid.

Thoughts?

How are you feeling? You OK?

Seriously. Wow. Never would have expected that. Aggressive pricing indeed.

Now, for those who need to get their hands on it before they play... well, they'll just have to find someone who owns an Axe FX.

FX8 is still the same $1349.95 price. But in stock. So I guess if you want something right now, you have to pay full pop for the FX8. If you can wait--and it could be a very long wait based on FX8 history--you can get an AX8 for the same price. At that point in time, I'm guessing you will also be able to get an FX8 for considerably less money.

So all of us that bought an FX8 get ....? I applaud Cliff for being very competitive, but I'm sure myself and other FX8 users are a little concerned.
I'm sure a few will be, but I replaced my Axe-FX II XL with this so I'd have a more compact setup to use with a real amp and have the best, most transparent connectors. For me the converters and connectors were noticeably quieter than the Axe-FX and I know they are better than what's in the AX8.

FWIW I loved my Axe-FX, but spent too much time trying to audition too many different amps and ended up wanting to use them all on everything. Now I just have to decide whether I like channel 2 or 3 better on my 5150 III, and I think I've settled on 2 with a little help from a drive. Frigging unbelievable sound (and it was one of my favs in the Axe-FX II as well.)

I'm sure a few will be, but I replaced my Axe-FX II XL with this so I'd have a more compact setup to use with a real amp and have the best, most transparent connectors. For me the converters and connectors were noticeably quieter than the Axe-FX and I know they are better than what's in the AX8.

FWIW I loved my Axe-FX, but spent too much time trying to audition too many different amps and ended up wanting to use them all on everything. Now I just have to decide whether I like channel 2 or 3 better on my 5150 III, and I think I've settled on 2 with a little help from a drive. Frigging unbelievable sound (and it was one of my favs in the Axe-FX II as well.)

Same here. No regrets buying the FX-8. It's made for use with a tube amp and that's why I bought it.

My MKI was so noisy 4CM that I could hardly use it.

Last edited:
My guess is that th AX8 will cost $1349. Stealing from ethomas, but no wait list. Ship in 2 weeks.

Ok, so Eric and I were wrong on the wait list part. But darn close on the price of the AX8.

Am I upset? Yes and no. Until we know for sure how the AX8 will sound as an effects only device in 4cm, there's no reason to be upset. But I'll bet that if I tried to get a decent price for my FX8 now it would sit with no buyers. I think the FX8 will be a tough sell for a while at $1349 as people wait for the AX8. Had the information and price been available for the AX8 I would not have purchased the FX8. Simple as that. So yes, I'm a little upset. Tito, get me some tissue! Jermaine stop teasing!

P.S. If AX8 can do more than 8 effects at once as Cliff mentioned in the price announcement thread, then I'm gonna need another box of tissue.

But the AX8 can't channel switch a tube amp, correct?

If it can't, then that's another important factor in a strictly tube guy going with the FX8, & thus helps the FX8 retain its value.

They're going to sell at least 100 AX8 for every FX8 going forward. Unless they drop the price on FX8. It's just a crazy hell of a lot more value for an extra 50 bucks. I could see them perhaps just discontinuing the FX8. Afterall, amp channel switching is no biggie, and the fx loop is there.

We knew AX8 was coming before we bought our FX8.. So we could have just waited for all the AX8 details and price reveal and THEN decide. But then we'd have had to exist all these months without FX8. So, no I'm not upset. And I'm thrilled that FAS is going to compete hard against Helix.. Very exciting!

They're going to sell at least 100 AX8 for every FX8 going forward. Unless they drop the price on FX8. It's just a crazy hell of a lot more value for an extra 50 bucks. I could see them perhaps just discontinuing the FX8. Afterall, amp channel switching is no biggie, and the fx loop is there.

We knew AX8 was coming before we bought our FX8.. So we could have just waited for all the AX8 details and price reveal and THEN decide. But then we'd have had to exist all these months without FX8. So, no I'm not upset. And I'm thrilled that FAS is going to compete hard against Helix.. Very exciting!

I doubt they will discontinue the FX-8 anytime soon. Like Cliff said, they are different products aimed at different setups. I can see them dropping the price slightly on the FX-8 though....that would make sense. If all you need are effects, it makes sense to buy the FX-8 as it was designed for the 4CM.

the FX8 was designed for using with a guitar amp and there are much higher-end components in it to keep noise at a minimum. the first product of its kind from FAS for this specific purpose, as opposed to making an amp modeler also work for that purpose. if that's the price for the FX8 and its components, that's the price. what we do know is that it will continue to be updated and improved over time, which helps it keep its value.

i'm successfully using an FX8 at "general" gigs going direct, using a Fender Micro DI pedal that is an amp/cab simulator (no options, just a amp sim). but i really do miss the amp/tone options found with Amp modeling. having the FAS quality in such a small unit like the FX8 is amazing, but i'm definitely a fan of modeling and haven't touched a real amp in years.

i don't think the AX8 has "more for only $50." i think it has a different usage, which happens to be $50 more. it's been very difficult to explain to "Amp Guys" how to interface an Axe-Fx II with their real amp setups - having to take out the Amp/Cab blocks from every factory preset and explain why sometimes is very confusing. the FX8 is definitely easier to setup with a real amp, i feel.

also, as we've seen, the progress made on the AX8 might/should be heading over to the FX8, like being able to freely assign switches per preset, etc. so we don't really know what the immediate future holds for the FX8 and updates. but it's a great product and its price is on par with building a high-end pedal board of individual components.

different products for different uses. it's a great time to be a guitarist!

Back
Top Bottom