AX8 Price Point - At what price do you get upset?

^^^ this is what I intend to do too. One great sound from amp and other things will be taken care by fx8.

Well sir, luckily for you, this works like a dream. Only issue with the Mark IV is the number of relay switches, but that's a solvable problem. I just use lead, clean and reverb switching anyhow, so it works with the relays in the system as provided.

And one reason I would have liked a loop in my FX8 to add effects not covered by the FX8.

You can do that already with the FX8... You are just a bit limited on where the effects can be inserted. Put them in line from your Pre out signal before you amps fx loop input, or after the amps fx loop return before the post input of the FX8.

You can do that already with the FX8... You are just a bit limited on where the effects can be inserted. Put them in line from your Pre out signal before you amps fx loop input, or after the amps fx loop return before the post input of the FX8.

this. I already do this as well. Outboard reverb, MXR Carbon copy still, etc. Triskellion and a wah in the pre currently as well.

I'd like the loop on the ax8 to allow 4cm. It would mean I have the option to run with my evh, or use amp/cab models into an active pa cab or a clean amp. I can cope with some features from the fx8 being cut down if I can still have the flexibility but that depends which features if any are missing and of course the price - until we know these details it's impossible to decide whether to get the fx8 or hold on for an ax8.

I'd like the loop on the ax8 to allow 4cm. It would mean I have the option to run with my evh, or use amp/cab models into an active pa cab or a clean amp. I can cope with some features from the fx8 being cut down if I can still have the flexibility but that depends which features if any are missing and of course the price - until we know these details it's impossible to decide whether to get the fx8 or hold on for an ax8.

Can't be too hard to figure out the price... has to be more than $1350 and less than $2250

Can't be too hard to figure out the price... has to be more than $1350 and less than $2250

True, I was commenting on price as that's the title of this discussion. I'm probably more interested in knowing when it will be available in the UK, assuming it's not a huge amount more than the fx8.

We all paid $1349 for our FX8. If the AX8 has all the same effects plus amp modeling, at what price do you get upset? There have been hints that people will be pleasantly surprised by the AX8 pricing. I know if it's $1349 I'll be pissed. If it's $1499 I might still feel like I overpaid for the FX8. No, I will feel that way.

I'm editing my post to add that this pre-supposes that the AX8 will work with an analog amp in 4cm without excess noise. While possibly not as seamless as the FX8, there seem to be a number of users who do this already.

If it can't, then the premise of my question is admittedly invalid.

Thoughts?

I hope FAS releases the FX-9 @ $999 soon :)

seriously, ford can sell cars, trucks & suvs!!! and people usually know what they want/need and purchase without regards to the other.
if you bought what you need/want (or was it a blind purchase?) why be upset?

The AX8 will allow 4CM, just like the AxeFX. It's clear from Cliff's post earlier in this thread that the AX8 will not have the same optimization/components as the FX8 nor will it run as quietly in 4CM as the FX8. Cliff also mentioned in another thread that when you use 4CM with the AX8 the second output is the loop send and you will not be able to use the second volume control as a separate send to the house, just like the AxeFX.

Im in the same boat. I have an FX8 and am wondering if the AX8 will be adequate when used in 4CM. I'll just buy an AX8 to try it for myself but am leaning towards keeping the FX8. There seems to be enough differences between the products that I will find a way to justify owning both, lol.

If I was designing the AX-8, I would have left out the loop. Then we wouldn't be discussing whether the AX-8 loop is as good as the FX-8 loop !

So DavidE -- how about answering your own question?
You're upset if the AX-8 costs $1349.
You're still upset at $1499.
How about $1749?
$1999?
$2249?
$2499?

BTW, I don't care if they're giving the Helix away for free, with a bag of potato chips and a 64oz soda. I still don't want one!

LOL. Now that we have more specific information about the Helix, I don't think it will be for Fractal fans who love, need and crave deep editing. Which is fine!

But back to the original topic. I've tried to answer my own question and frankly have failed thus far. I think at the end of the day it will depend on how well the AX8 sounds and handles 4cm with an amp using only the FX side. If it works great, then $1749 seems like a price where I could not be upset. If it doesn't work well at all, then the AX8 could be $1349.

Perhaps. But I'm not sure the price of the Helix is relevant.

Today I'm convinced that the price of the Helix is not relevant. If you buy the device for what it will do today, we're talking apples and oranges. Even if the Helix sounds amazing, it's not the same as the AX8. The AX8 has a large software base that the Helix can't match on the day you purchase. Lots more amps at least. Maybe not as much on the effects side. But for those who want deep editing, the Helix won't cut it even if it sounds amazing because most of the amps don't have deep editing as Line 6 specifically chose not to go that route, at least at launch. Plus the AXE FX libraries of patches already built for you to copy and paste.

Well sir, luckily for you, this works like a dream. Only issue with the Mark IV is the number of relay switches, but that's a solvable problem. I just use lead, clean and reverb switching anyhow, so it works with the relays in the system as provided.

With my HK TM36 I just kept a footswitch on the board. I prefer to use as few presets as possible so I set it up like just a couple of virtual pedalboards. As a result, I really can't afford to give up the 8 block real estate to a relay block or two. If I change over to scenes, I can go midi or relay to change channels among the three. I assume if I go midi, I could also switch power output as well.

Yes, but when using something like a POG or Pitchfork, the preferred placement may change depending on whether I'm trying to just do an octave, a 12 string sound or an organ sound etc... A loop with a block could place the pedal in different places in different scenes. I can live with it as is of course.

After Cliff's post, I'm not sure it has to be more than $1350. I think it should be, but maybe it doesn't have to be if the electronic components in the FX8 that make it so suited for 4cm are as expensive as I'm reading from Cliff's post. Without all of those expensive op amps etc..., the cost to make the AX8 could be the same as the FX8. In theory.

At this point, we wait. What more can we do? Oh yeah, these are the interwebs. We do what we want. ;-))))

The AX8 will allow 4CM, just like the AxeFX. It's clear from Cliff's post earlier in this thread that the AX8 will not have the same optimization/components as the FX8 nor will it run as quietly in 4CM as the FX8. Cliff also mentioned in another thread that when you use 4CM with the AX8 the second output is the loop send and you will not be able to use the second volume control as a separate send to the house, just like the AxeFX.

Im in the same boat. I have an FX8 and am wondering if the AX8 will be adequate when used in 4CM. I'll just buy an AX8 to try it for myself but am leaning towards keeping the FX8. There seems to be enough differences between the products that I will find a way to justify owning both, lol.

I'll be at your house ASAP after you get the AX8.

Yes, let clarify that the AX8 will definitely be staying once I acquire one. That product should be perfect for my needs going direct at church.

What I meant is that I'm sure to find a way in my mind to justify keeping both the AX8 and the FX8 regardless of how well the AX8 works with an amp... GAS is a terrible thing!

And really, without a coupon, the FX-8 is still less than the Helix.

If I can eventually swing it, I'd love to also have an AX-8. Basically, it's a mini-Axe FX. Portable, less cables.

Precisely. The loop's intended use is, well, as a loop.

I know Ax8 is almost done, so I wish there could be an Ax8 "Ultra" (or +, call it what you want!) that has both loop for a pedalboard (distortion, wha, mod) and for 4CM (preamp level). Optimize each one for their own task. Yes, I am willing to pay a little more for that kind of device... :)

(I wish for a second loop since Standard time...) :D

AX8 demo just posed on FB by FRACTAL

Hi, I just saw this post on FRACTAL facebook

AX8 Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBTYIl6xnb0#t=195

I just bought the FX8 & it's on the way. I may have pulled the trigger a bit early ;)

anyhoo- I am looking forward to joining the FRATCAL users base

Keep it real

It's not the notes in your music - it's the music in your notes

(oops on the spelling)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom