1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

AustinBuddy's new 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack for the Axe-Fx III is now available

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Preset Exchange' started by austinbuddy, Jul 14, 2018.

1. api4u

api4u
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Well, I've been sitting on the fence on ordering AustinBuddy's Naked Amps Tone Pack. I've tried hundreds of other users' presets over the years, and frankly usually only find a couple that are exceptional, and many that are marginal, or probably wouldn't really work for me. I also tend to use about 15 or 20 of my own presets, and tend to stick with those, even though I'm constantly playing around with them, in that elusive perfect tone search.

After checking out some of the samples, I finally decided to bite the bullet this weekend.

All I can say is WOW! These presets are exceptionally well-done. AB has really done a ton of work, and nearly all of the presets are useable, out of the box, as-is. After going through Cooper Carter's demo video, and hanging in the man-cave all weekend, I made it through most all of the presets, and found them mostly evenly matched, with accurate tone set-ups. The presets made me want to play the songs that they were modeled after. I can only wish I had AB's ears, and ability to decipher the necessary adjustments to bring those tones to life. I'm now a fan-boy, and will be checking out more stuff from AustinBuddy.

One caution for new users: I was using OUT1 for FOH, and OUT2 for Stage monitors. The presets are set up so OUT2 is after the Amp block/before the Cab IRs; this is outlined in his manual. If I kept my setup as-is, I'd lose the Cab & Effects that are Post-Amp, at my stage monitors. So I am now running my Stage monitors from OUT3.

Since I also often use the Factory presets as a reference point, to check how I'm doing on my effect tweaks, this required adding another OUT box to my Factory presets. I added an OUT3 block to most of my Factory presets that I'm using, tapped off parallel at the next to the last effect block (stacked over or under Out1).

2. MrGuitarabuse

MrGuitarabuse
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Hi Folks,
    Did anyone try these without CAB IR, using guitar cab only? Comments? Feedback?

Thanks

3. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Much of the magic of @austinbuddy 's presets lies in the expert pairing of IRs with amp tweaks. If you eliminate the IR, you lose a key aspect of that.

Will they work well without the IRs? Some will work better than others. It depends on your cab and what amp model is involved. But they won't sound the same — they'll all be flavored by your particular cab.

Gregmang, austinbuddy and lp59 like this.
  4. #184 austinbuddy, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 2:05 AM
    austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

100% true. As I put in the Readme Doc, a Tweed Champ is not going to sound the same/as intended hooked up to a power amp and 4x12 real cab with T75 speakers... or conversely, neither will a Dual Rectifier amp model into a power amp then into a real 1x12 Jensen cab is going sound right. So it really depends on the real cab matching rhe amp paired with.

5. lp59

lp59
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Very impressive job, but how do you retrieve a sound? Say I like the 6G4 Super at 0:54 in the video, how can I find this preset in the 1000 Naked Amps pack? I looked at the spreadsheet provided later but didn't see a 6G4 Super.

6. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

That is the Brown Super (as opposed to the Black Face Super Reverb)

lp59 likes this.
  7. lp59

lp59
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Thanks Buddy but the question remains the same: can we know which preset is used for every riff? I can understand if it's not documented.

Daveis likes this.
  8. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

That is a Cooper Carter question...

lp59, Daveis and bradlake like this.
  9. Daveis

Daveis
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Got the Naked Amp Pack today after watching Cooper Carter's videos about 3 times. I only made it through Bank A. Would love to see which preset Cooper Carter used for each song...

I am wondering what commercial cab IR's could possibly make this any better. It's a really well thought out grouping by amp family. There's lots of amp models in the Axe3 and this makes it much easier to audition all of them in a polished kind of way. All the sounds are very usable as a basis for creating your own presets. It's a very different kind of thing than song/artist specific commercial presets and serves a much different purpose. I loved the Gilmour, Vai, Andy Timmons, Gary Moore, Van Halen scene extras.

lp59, bradlake and austinbuddy like this.
  10. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Don’t forget there are 2048 plus 189 Cab IRs in the Axe III, many from commercial providers shown on the Fractal website. So you already have a lot of available cabs on board now to experiment with, and cabs really can change the amp sounds (for better or worse!). Thanks for the nice compliments about the TonePack.

11. lp59

lp59
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

A lot has been said about the jewel of this Naked Amps pack, I agree at 200% and will add that a terrific job has also been made with the drive blocks, and especially the fuzz. I always thought their was something off with the fuzz in the axe, but here they shine, and not just like a crazy diamond.
    We had a gig last saturday and was asked to play Hey Joe, I thought that would be the right moment to check out live the Jimi London bonus preset instead of my regular Hendrix preset. Holly shit, I never had such a sound, so convincing and dynamic, that I only could play the best of me. Even with my volume pot backed to 1 I still had a killer sound. It might not be very impressive at bed room volume, but in the real situation it's just perfect and sat in the mix like no other. I can tell you, this only one and single preset is worth the price of the pack. For those hesitating, do yourself a favor, and dive in.

austinbuddy and bradlake like this.
  12. bradlake

bradlake
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I have had the privilege of being in the(tiny) room with @austinbuddy tweaking a AxeFXII for our talented mutual friend years before the Naked set was conceived, and I can assure you he understands the value of volume...........and yes his fuzzes and drives are very well conceived ...

austinbuddy and lp59 like this.
  13. lp59

lp59
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

You lucky man! Sure, a power trio roaring is not a bicycle!

austinbuddy likes this.
  14. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I too am a big fan of that JTM 45 with single coils, like the “Hey Jay” (Joe) preset... on of my fav tones! Cool, glad you like it!

api4u likes this.
  15. secondwindow

secondwindow
    Expand Collapse
    New here

For me, the bass presets alone were worth th price of admission.

austinbuddy likes this.
  16. xpenno

xpenno
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

These are simply amazing! So many usable tones. If you want to know how good the AxeFX 3 can sound then this is it! I've spent the last 3 days playing rather than tweaking, thanks so much!

austinbuddy likes this.
  17. decreebass

decreebass
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Just bought these today and I gotta say; it's a great collection of instantly usable tones. The next time it's time for me to dial in a new tone or revamp one I'm already using, I'm going straight to these presets to get started.