ART X-15 Ultrafoot MIDI Foot Controller

If you're asking whether you can program the X-15 with Axe-Edit, the answer is no. I'm not aware of any editor that can program the X-15. You'll have to stomp switches to do that.

That editor works great. I think it is windows only though. I use an x15 also. I run it in stomp mode with a TEch 21 midi mouse to increment through presets. I just velcro'd the midi mouse onto the top of the x-15. The main down fall of the x15 are the rubber buttons. No tactile feedback. Otherwise for the price it can't be beat. the 7 pin conversion is pretty easy also.

First you need to get into Sub-Mode 5:
  • Press and hold down the MODE pad and then press the #5 pad. The display will show a flashing an “S” 1 and the MODE LED will be flashing.

Now select parameter 5:

• Press the BYPASS pad five times. The display will change to "Y" followed by either a 0 or a 1. Use the UP button to make sure the value is set to "1". This will enable the MIDI merge function.

Finally, save your new setting and return to exit setup mode:

• Press and release the MODE button.
That's it. I recommend you find and download the manual, if you haven't done so already. You'll want to have it around.

Yes, you can do that with no extra hardware. The X-15 can be programmed to perform a soft MIDI merge, so you don't need an external merger. Connect as follows:
  • Midisport MIDI Out ==> X-15 MIDI In;
  • X-15 MIDI Out ==> Axe-FX MIDI In;
  • Axe-FX MIDI Out ==> Midisport MIDI in.

That's awesome! I was about to buy a MIDI Solutions MIDI Merger. I tried this out and it seems to work! Now I need to replace my crappy MIDI-USB interface. Thanks for the tip!

FYI - the editor is 16-bit and will NOT even install on a 64-bit wintel system. Should run on any 32-bit Win Os tho'...

I still use the ART X-15 still as well and it works great. This Windows editor works perfectly (http://www.x15setup.com), and the 7 Pin powered MIDI out connector mod is easy to do as well (http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/x15art_mod.html). The pedal optical strips are fragile so I typically setup my pedal motion backwards, with "off/low" being all the way toe down to protect them from guitar cords and such when they're not in use. The X-15 can also switch channels on my tube amps. For me my big pedal is the X-15, and my little pedal is the Midimate v1.x (10 IA's with v1.x, only 5 IA's with v2.x). They're both laid out the same with the only difference being the Midimate's lack of pedals and amp switching. Maybe a total of $200 US into these two controller pedals and they've been used for many years without trouble (good deal!).

Try this site. http://www.x15setup.com/

Not sure how well it works. It is easy to program the x-15 from the stomps.

Last edited:
Well,Thanks for the help rex and everyone.I got the x15 to work but now the editor wont work.Any idea's?

Which editor won't work: the X-15 editor or Axe-Edit? And how is it failing?

Axe edit says it cant find hardware.Any idea how to make the volume pedal not control the delay.Like I want to be able to pull the volume back and have the delay spill over.like for doing volume swells.Also,how do I get the x15 into stompbox mode.I really need to find the book to this.

Axe edit says it cant find hardware.
No idea, I don't use Axe-edit

Any idea how to make the volume pedal not control the delay.Like I want to be able to pull the volume back and have the delay spill over.like for doing volume swells.
Well yeah, just assign the volume pedal as an external controller, and assign it as the source for a modifier on the volume parameter of a volume block. And, of course, place that volume block *before* the delay and reverb blocks. This way, the volume block controls the signal going in, but lets the delay and reverb tails go through.

Also,how do I get the x15 into stompbox mode.I really need to find the book to this.
Hit the "Mode" button. And yes, good idea to get the manual.

It says "check midi settings" I would think they would be the same as using axe edit.I'm just running the x15 after the midisport. Any Idea's??

In Axe-Edit, the "Check MIDI Settings" message often means just that: open the MIDI settings dialog. Often, that's enough to get things communicating again.

Back
Top Bottom