ART X-15 Ultrafoot MIDI Foot Controller

I still use the ART X-15 still as well and it works great. This Windows editor works perfectly (http://www.x15setup.com), and the 7 Pin powered MIDI out connector mod is easy to do as well (http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/x15art_mod.html). The pedal optical strips are fragile so I typically setup my pedal motion backwards, with "off/low" being all the way toe down to protect them from guitar cords and such when they're not in use. The X-15 can also switch channels on my tube amps. For me my big pedal is the X-15, and my little pedal is the Midimate v1.x (10 IA's with v1.x, only 5 IA's with v2.x). They're both laid out the same with the only difference being the Midimate's lack of pedals and amp switching. Maybe a total of $200 US into these two controller pedals and they've been used for many years without trouble (good deal!).

Thanks for sharing this great mod and other ideas! I think I will incorporate your practice of setting the rocker pedals with "toe down" as the default to protect the optical strips.

I've just purchased a Rocktron 7-pin MIDI cable to run phantom power to clean things up... So, now I've decided to incorporate a talk box (more wires)! So much for simplicity!

Thanks again!

What kind of talkbox are you going to use? My x15 was factory reset.After doing the midi merge it works great! Thanks again Rex! What are some cool things you can do with this pedal set up? Use the looper or just use it to switch presets?

The only problem with this pedal is the optical "quadrature encoder" strips. They can be easily damaged. As far as I can tell ART doesn't stock them anymore. I searched the internet for them to no avail. A few years ago when I had to replace a broken strip I had the forethought to order a few extra. If anyone can find a source for these please post it here Thanks. Maybe someone knows how to make these with .a scanner and some celluloid printer paper.

You're welcome! I found that I didn't need the MIDI IN on the 7 Pin (I use regular MIDI cables when programming it etc), so I only added the power to the X-15's 7 Pin MIDI OUT connector for ease of use on stage. This is a bit easier than what the guy on that site did.

I had a Talk Box back in the day, lots of fun, enjoy...

Thanks for sharing this great mod and other ideas! I think I will incorporate your practice of setting the rocker pedals with "toe down" as the default to protect the optical strips.

I've just purchased a Rocktron 7-pin MIDI cable to run phantom power to clean things up... So, now I've decided to incorporate a talk box (more wires)! So much for simplicity!

Thanks again!

You can do anything as in switching IA's, Program Changes, Continuous Controllers, and switch Amp Channels on your amp too. You cannot have a single switch send multiple commands or setup multiple scenes like the modern pedals.

What are some cool things you can do with this pedal set up? Use the looper or just use it to switch presets?

What kind of talkbox are you going to use? My x15 was factory reset.After doing the midi merge it works great! Thanks again Rex! What are some cool things you can do with this pedal set up? Use the looper or just use it to switch presets?

I just picked up a Rocktron Banshee Talk Box on eBay. It got pretty good reviews and I like the fact that, unlike old school talk boxes, it has a self-contained preamp and amp circuit that's not reliant on an external amp. It is currently enroute.

As for the pedal setup, there's not too many frills since you are limited to 11 footswitches to turn things on and off, the 2 rocker pedals, and 2 buttons for up/down scrolling through presets. For now, depending on the preset patch, I have just 1 button assigned to the Record/Play of the looper since I'm limited on the number of footswitches. I'm playing "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" by BOC in a cover band and setting up a loop at the end of the song. When I first hit the button, it records the loop, when I hit it again, it automatically plays the loop. Then I have the left rocker pedal controlling the volume of the looper so I can mix in a harmonizer with the right rocker pedal. I plan to do a similar setup for "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by the Scorps. It's pretty cool if you get the timing and mix right!

Well yeah, just assign the volume pedal as an external controller, and assign it as the source for a modifier on the volume parameter of a volume block. And, of course, place that volume block *before* the delay and reverb blocks. This way, the volume block controls the signal going in, but lets the delay and reverb tails go through.

I have searched for how to do this for 2 hours.I have the volume block before the delay and verb. I don't know how to set the volume pedal as an external controller, and assign it as the source for a modifier part.Can I do this globally for all patches?

Well yeah, just assign the volume pedal as an external controller, and assign it as the source for a modifier on the volume parameter of a volume block. And, of course, place that volume block *before* the delay and reverb blocks. This way, the volume block controls the signal going in, but lets the delay and reverb tails go through.

I have searched for how to do this for 2 hours.I have the volume block before the delay and verb. I don't know how to set the volume pedal as an external controller, and assign it as the source for a modifier part.Can I do this globally for all patches?
1-) Set the pedal as an external controller:
- Hit the I/O button on the front panel
- Page over to the CTRL tab
- Scroll down to one of the unused Externals (let's assume External 1 in the rest of these instructions)
- If you know the CC# of your pedal, use the main dial to select it next to External 1
- If you don't, put your cursor on it, hit the "Enter" button to go into learn mode, and activate the pedal back and forth for the Axe to identify it. It should enter some number next to External 1
- Now, External 1 is available in all your presets as a source for a modifier

2-) Edit a volume block (in front of delay and reverb) to use External 1:
- Edit the volume block
- Place cursor on "Vol" parameter, and hit "Enter" to go into modifier mode
- Under "Source", select "Extrn 1"
- For now, leave everything else as is, but eventually, you can edit the curve etc, to suit your needs
- As soon as you did the above, your expression pedal is assigned to control the modifier on the volume parameter of your volume block. If you activate the expression pedal back and forth, you should see the "dot" move up and down the curve (well, it's a straight diagonal line by default). But better yet, you should hear the results.

I'm playing "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" by BOC in a cover band and setting up a loop at the end of the song. When I first hit the button, it records the loop, when I hit it again, it automatically plays the loop. Then I have the left rocker pedal controlling the volume of the looper so I can mix in a harmonizer with the right rocker pedal. I plan to do a similar setup for "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by the Scorps. It's pretty cool if you get the timing and mix right!
I'm really curious about how you're able to pull that off. Every time I tried to use my Ultra's looper with a band, it failed miserably because it doesn't quantize / lock to tempo. The X15 buttons are a little too squishy to be deadly accurate, so my loops are always maybe one fortieth of a second too long or too short... first few times around, it's fine, but within 30 seconds, my loop is no longer in sync with the band. I'm fine with it at home (I lock to the loop, rather than the other way around), but with the band, no go. How do you pull it off? Or do you actually have a drummer who happens to *listen*?

I'm really curious about how you're able to pull that off. Every time I tried to use my Ultra's looper with a band, it failed miserably because it doesn't quantize / lock to tempo. The X15 buttons are a little too squishy to be deadly accurate, so my loops are always maybe one fortieth of a second too long or too short... first few times around, it's fine, but within 30 seconds, my loop is no longer in sync with the band. I'm fine with it at home (I lock to the loop, rather than the other way around), but with the band, no go. How do you pull it off? Or do you actually have a drummer who happens to *listen*?

Yeah, it's not an exact science, but I made sure to use the corner button (10) to make it easier to mash, and I've got the loop mixed a little low so it's not overpowering, so if it's a little off, it's not too obvious. Plus the looper segment of the song isn't all that long. But yes, my drummer is really tight and he does listen to the mix. He's playing a Zendrum controller hooked to a Muse receptor (drum sampler), so that allows him to hear the mix better since he doesn't have acoustic drums and cymbals blaring away. Between the Axe-Fx and the Muse, we're able to get pretty close to the original sounds on the cover tunes.

Today I'm working on nailing down Tom Scholz' double lead sound on "Something About You". During the solo, he alternates between a harmony (3rd) and octaves, so I set up one rocker pedal to mix the harmony in and out, and the other rocker pedal to alternate between the 2 pitch shifter blocks (it took a little head scratching). The tricky part is trying to get all the various volume levels to jive.

The Axe-Fx is a blast!!!8)

I really appreciate everyones help here.I decided to get rid of the x15 and just ordered a mfc-101.It should be here Tuesday.I hope it will be easier to work with since its for the axe effects.Thanks again!

I really appreciate everyones help here.I decided to get rid of the x15 and just ordered a mfc-101.It should be here Tuesday.I hope it will be easier to work with since its for the axe effects.Thanks again!

Do you plan on using expression pedals with it? If so, what kind. I can see where it would be easy to go nuts and connect 4 rocker pedals!

Please keep us posted and tell us how you like it!

Best of luck to ya!

Do you plan on using expression pedals with it? If so, what kind. I can see where it would be easy to go nuts and connect 4 rocker pedals!

Please keep us posted and tell us how you like it!

Best of luck to ya!

I will use 4 expression pedals.I looking into what kind of pedals toy use now.I will report back.I will get the mfc on tuesday.

Hey Jethro, don't take offense, I'm not here to argue or rain on your parade, but whether you use an X15 or an MFC-101, you'll still need to set up your patches if you want (for example) volume control that lets the delay and reverb trails ring out. So getting a new controller isn't going to magically eliminate all that required tweaking... unless I missed your point completely, and my answer on the previous page was completely off target...

Hi guys,
I just bought a X-15 and i struggle with the effect mode : the X-15 doesn't seem to remember the LEDs status for every preset.
Let's say i have my preset 1 univibe on/amp on/reverb on/delay on and my preset 2 univibe off/amp on/reverb on/delay off.
When changing from 1 to 2, the univibe and delay LEDs stay on but the 2 effects are off on the Axe.
Did i miss something in the settings ? Maybe you can tell the Axe to check the IA status on every preset change ?
Thanks.
Stephane

Question: Anyone try to take it apart and move the foot controllers to the other side...? =P

Looking at the unit, I don't think it would be an easy undertaking. The pedals have small PC boards under them that stick out from the pedalboard through holes in the housing.

I have a X-15 to control a Roland GP-8, and it works pretty good. But I have a quention: How can I setup a volume pedal on it?

Back
Top Bottom