ART X-15 Ultrafoot MIDI Foot Controller

tgorycki

Inspired
Just wanted to make a quick post about the ART X-15 Ultrafoot MIDI Foot Controller, an old, late 80s foot controller I've been using to contol my Ultra unit. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if you have access to one, it accomplishes several things and is very affordable on the used gear market.

First, it has 2 rocker pedals which I've setup as External Controllers 1 & 2. The X-15 has 2 basic modes: preset and stompbox. The stompbox mode is very effective for assigning bypass controller commands. I've just started using this foot controller with the Ultra and have been using the stomp buttons to bypass delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, looper (just 1 button for record/play), 2 separate filter blocks (which I've set up for drive boost and lead boost respectively before and after effects) and special effects. I'm using the rocker pedals for various things depending on the patch, such as wah, intelligent harmonizer mix-in, volume level, drive intensity, phaser depth, whammy, etc.

Altogether, in stompbox mode, you have preset increment up & down buttons, a bypass button (which I have assigned to the tuner and doubles as a kill switch since I've set tuner to mute when engaged) and 10 stomp buttons assignable as desired, plus the 2 rocker pedals (which are on the left side of the pedalboard and kinda strange if you're accustomed to using your right foot for wah or whatever).

Attachments

• DSC02250.jpg
    DSC02250.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 222
A big +1 for the X-15. I am using mine that is 20 years old or so. I mainly use it in Stompbox mode like you. Great unit. I had to paint mine though.

Attachments

• Final (1 of 2).jpg
    Final (1 of 2).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Final (2 of 2).jpg
    Final (2 of 2).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 174
Another big +1 from me too. I used one years ago with an ART effects processor, and I bought another one more recently as my controller for my Ultra. I modified mine for the 7-pin midi with phantom power, and I am very very happy with it. I make extensive use of both the preset mode and the stompbox mode. And the two expression pedals are tough, clean and precise (they are optical).

By the way, not all X-15 controllers are that ugly with the shocking fuscia artwork. I lucked out when I bought my more recent one, and it's the sober looking black one (google it).

Awesome topic. I actually have one of these, but am not using it right now, because I have an UNO modded FCB1010. I would love to get teh X-15 set up as a second controller, though. How did you guys go about the process of configuring it? Very interested!

I programmed my X-15 to match the AxeFx. I went in and made the outer pedal a volume control and the inner pedal External 1. From the bottom right to left those are External 2-6, then the tuner. I set it up that way as EXT2 is my main effect switch. Depending on the patch I can hit it and it will turn on the primary effect if it just has one. It makes it easy on stage to remember that is the switch. For more complex that is my delay and then the others are setup as, dist/boost, phaser, flanger, chorus. Tuner is my kill switch as well.

EXT 7 and 8 are the top two from the right. 7 is the outside one and that is reverb. I rarely use reverb live. This was I can turn it on if the situation calls for it. EXT8 is special. What ever special thing that patch might have. The switch closest to the mode button is tap tempo. The other two are unused.

Awesome topic. I actually have one of these, but am not using it right now, because I have an UNO modded FCB1010. I would love to get teh X-15 set up as a second controller, though. How did you guys go about the process of configuring it? Very interested!

As far as getting the X-15 to communicate with the Axe-Fx, first put the X-15 in stomp mode, then use the I/O menu on the Axe-Fx and page over to the CTRL tab. Scroll up or down to find the controller you wish to assign, then press the ENTER button on the Axe-Fx to "learn" what MIDI command is being sent. For example, if you want to assign the left rocker pedal to External 1, scroll down to External 1 on the Axe-Fx screen, then press ENTER and a box will pop up and flash "LEARNING". Then, when you move the left rocker, the screen stops flashing and the number 4 populates the field. Then of course when you setup your preset, you would assign External 1 to whatever it is you wish to control for that preset.

If you scroll down the controller list further on the Axe/Fx, you'll see a lot of effect bypass commands. these are what I typically use to turn effects on and off. Just use the learn mode described above but with the stomp buttons instead.

As for the order of stomp buttons, it's still a work in progress. :ugeek However, I'm trying to use the approach of 1 preset per song for the most part (unless there's a lot of technical stuff going on, then I would use more presets), then using the stomp buttons to turn things on and off within each preset.

Kudos to Jack for the slick paintjob! It looks like it glows in the dark!? I may decide to swirl mine as a nod to Mr. Vai!

Thanks! It is glow in the dark. Looks cool under dark lights.

I decided not to have the Axe learn the X15 just in case I switched controllers. That way I didn't have to change any of the MIDI settings and could just use the default in case of a system reset.

THanks for the replies, guys. Jac, serious kudos on the X-15 paint job. Very cool! Was it a pain to get it all apart to paint it? What software are you guys using to change the settings on the X-15? I am not sure how to put the X-15 on stomp box mode. I know with the FCB1010 it was a series of pushing and holding different switches on the board.

What software are you guys using to change the settings on the X-15? I am not sure how to put the X-15 on stomp box mode. I know with the FCB1010 it was a series of pushing and holding different switches on the board.

I loaded the Axe-Edit beta software but to tell you the truth, I've been using the front panel of the rack unit to make my changes since I've only had it a couple of months and figured it would be good to get familiar with making edits on the fly.

As for putting the X-15 into stomp mode, when you first power it up, it defaults to preset mode. Just press the MODE button once and the adjacent LED lights up and you are in stomp box mode.

THanks for the replies, guys. Jac, serious kudos on the X-15 paint job. Very cool! Was it a pain to get it all apart to paint it? What software are you guys using to change the settings on the X-15? I am not sure how to put the X-15 on stomp box mode. I know with the FCB1010 it was a series of pushing and holding different switches on the board.

It was very easy to take apart. Painting it wasn't too bad but the glow paint didn't react well to the clear coats I used. It feels like sand paper and rubbed off a little bit. Probably just my inexperience with the paints. It is very easy to reprogram the X15, no software needed. The manual is very easy to follow. If you can't get it at the ART site PM me with your email address and I'll send you the pdf.

I've used an X-15 in the past. It's rugged and affordable, and it's nice to have two expression pedals. I retired it because:
  1. I never cared for the footswitches. They consist of stiff rubber pads over membrane switches; you have to stomp hard, there's not much travel, and there's no tactical feedback to tell you when you've pressed hard enough.
  2. The optical expression pedals can be problematic under certian lighting conditions (the optical strip is exposed under the pedal).
  3. A stray cable can snag the optical strip and pull it out of its track, resulting in a mashed strip when you go toe-down. ART used to sell replacement strips (maybe they still do), but untill the replacement arrives, you're without a pedal.
You may have to lower the MIDI inter-message delay to avoid a "zipper" effect from the pedals. It defaults to 80 ms to accommodate the sluggish MIDI response of older ART gear.

Right on. I just grabbed the manual from Art's website, and think I might give it a run with the Ultra later. I think I had the manual already, but was totally being lazy and leaning on you guys like a bum hehe. I may even try painting mine, though I must say I kinda like the flashy glam hair metal paint job on it now ;)

I may even try painting mine, though I must say I kinda like the flashy glam hair metal paint job on it now ;)

I know whatcha mean; kinda nostalgic! Matches the front panel of my obsolete ART SGE Mach II (which was the bomb when it first came out)!

Sup?
Gotta love the X-15.. I have like 4 around here somewhere...they are my favorite old pedal boards..great work horses.... old pic
roomstuff1002-1.jpg

its next to the desk now that I revamp the room a little ,,,I really need to hook it up and program it.

MOSHON
DAVE

Can you use a x 15 and the editor at the same time.I have a midisport anniversary 2+2. What is the easy way to hook it up? I would love to just use stompbox mode.

Can you use a x 15 and the editor at the same time.I have a midisport anniversary 2+2. What is the easy way to hook it up? I would love to just use stompbox mode.

Yes, you can do that with no extra hardware. The X-15 can be programmed to perform a soft MIDI merge, so you don't need an external merger. Connect as follows:
  • Midisport MIDI Out ==> X-15 MIDI In;
  • X-15 MIDI Out ==> Axe-FX MIDI In;
  • Axe-FX MIDI Out ==> Midisport MIDI in.

Yes, you can do that with no extra hardware. The X-15 can be programmed to perform a soft MIDI merge, so you don't need an external merger. Connect as follows:
  • Midisport MIDI Out ==> X-15 MIDI In;
  • X-15 MIDI Out ==> Axe-FX MIDI In;
  • Axe-FX MIDI Out ==> Midisport MIDI in.

I tried to do this setup when I first got everything and I wasn't able to make it work. I wonder if I had something setup wrong the x15 to not pass thru midi data.

On the X-15, Parameter 5 in Sub-Mode 5 turns the MIDI merger on and off. Set the value to 1 to turn the merger on.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I cant wait to get out of work and try this.Can I set up the x15 with the editor as well?

Back
Top Bottom