Anyone Using Factory Cabs 54-57?

Would you have a conniption fit if factory cab 54, 55, 56 or 57 were replaced?

• Total voters
It actually makes sense that it may lose revenue for the IR makers. I know several people that love Mikko's IR's, for example, but have never purchased a pack of his. The factory Mesas and Marshalls seem to be sufficient for their needs. Different strokes and all that. And I agree about the RedWirez, not my cup of tea either.

I hope that Kevin changes his mind. The way that marketing almost always work is that the more people that sample the product, the more people buy. That's why software vendors are always trying to get you to download free trials of their software and so on. And what better way if you're selling IR's than getting samples installed on default in the Axe Fx 2 and other products. If it was me I would jump at the opportunity and make sure that the versions installed was really high quality and sounding great.

And for the record I have bought many Owhammer IR's and a few Cab Packs as well. The Ownhammer ones are mostly my favourites.

Unless I am missing or not seeing something, the last time I was approached about this was February 6, 2015 according to my email records. A lot has changed since then, however I do not feel it appropriate to continue this conversation as public debate; this is a topic to be discussed between myself and Fractal Audio Systems.

Though I would be wise to leave it at that, there is way too much wild speculation going on here to not drop a few extra breadcrumbs, so here goes...

Yek hit the nail on the head, only I know the business impact of engaging in this kind of activity as I have done it multiple times in the past for multiple different platforms. In addition to having access to the sales trends and metrics, I also have opinions based on experience with perpetuating the lack of perceived value that intangible goods have (for example, would it be thought logical that I be allowed to give out free EV-1's, or if some of my prize offerings are requested, MFC's with my libraries at no cost to myself?), and the procedures that should be involved when one company uses property from another for (mostly) single ended gain. In typical business arrangements these kinds of inclusions typically incur recurring licensing costs to make the gain mutual for the various reasons it could be. "Exposure" is no longer an applicable list item gain for the OwnHammer brand.

When it comes down to it, street credit doesn't put food on the table, and there is careful consideration to be made on what is appropriate to use as throwaway property, and thus direct revenue, and what should be guarded as commercial only, with consideration to the trade off between lost direct revenue and gained revenue from that loss used as advertising. Anyone I know that has taken the Pepsi challenge with the V4 libraries is an OH lifer without hesitation, and there is value to that which should be utilized properly. I do realize that despite the incredibly high value to cost ratio of these types of products not everyone is willing to take the plunge on faith, and again is a sign of the times in how backwards intangible goods are thought of with regard to their inherent value and the sales process. For example despite the similar price point, I don't get to try my burger from my meal before I buy it, or a grouping of burgers, and at that those burgers aren't going to last me a lifetime and be the possible reason for career changes and advancements. I know of several people using my products that because of them make more money or engage more lucrative industry opportunities than I do! Then there's the fine line between putting your best foot forward and putting it TOO forward, as there are no shortage of freeloaders that will only take what they don't have to pay for, legally or illegally so and do nothing to promote the brand in return, but may have bought something if they had no other option than to pay for it if the buzz behind it was strong enough.

This isn't a snap of the fingers decision or something that does not require compromise and benefit to both parties. As I am a multi-platform capable vendor, there may or may not be things going on with other platform vendors I need to consider or even abide by in order to walk the straight and narrow path.

If I were amenable to this, the Fractal platforms would be gaining unmatched content that would give them an "out of the box" advantage in the marketplace, so there would have to be a justifiable kick back. This isn't because I'm greedy, it's because I work my tail off to put out the best content available for this market, I have significant investment in this, made incredible sacrifices, and have a family to provide for which after being laid off from my day job this past March and divorcing recently, OwnHammer is currently my only source of household income on top of an increased cost of living due to the latter. I need to be properly compensated for my work and my contributions to the market and world at large, unless I manage to win big on a lottery I never buy a ticket for. The sure, the site will go freeware! :p

Point being, it's not as cut and dry as it looks from the outside...

However, as previously stated, this will be the extent of my contribution to this thread, I hope it was informative! :)

Last edited:
Kevin, you are very intelligent and I hope your situation improves. I respect your decisions and you commenting on our speculation. I hope nothing that was said here offends you, my friend.

Sorry to hear about your setbacks, but even without those, you have a right to be rewarded for your work. If there is no licensing kickback (or not enough for your needs, I have no knowledge) and you don't see any revenue from more exposure, I guess this is the sane thing to do.

I hope many will continue to support you.

Thanks guys, much appreciated! :)

I do need to comment one more time on the free stuff. Currently those are V3. I plan to have a V4 replacement in the next 2 weeks. Been doing a lot of back end work the last week, almost caught up though!

I have almost all ir's from OH and I'm always willing to pay for peoples work Kevin. I apreciate your continious improving your ir's. So if there where for instance free V3 with the factory presets, I probably would replace them anyway with the V4 if I like them more. I'm only interessted in the best results and willing to pay for it.

I never really liked many of the factory cabs at all. I'm not always a very big fan of ML's IRs either. I find them to be too thin and bright for my rig and taste. That's not to take away from their success or general positive reception; they're just not for me. OH's new offerings kill it though. 90% of the IRs I've purchased have been from OH and they have always been the ones I've enjoyed most. My frequency discount is getting up there. And if anyone talks about recording guitar, especially direct, I'm always very quick to DEMAND they go to Kevin's website.

Hope everything works out for you, Kevin. @ownhammer

I don't like Factory Cab 54-57 but I bought several OH Cab Packs and I like them all. In my opinion they reflect very well what my ears intend for a "in the room" IR's and they retain very well the punch, the low end and the kick of a real cab. I say that because I appreciate the work and the intention of FAS in replacing those IR's but this doesn't mean that I don't like OH IR's...the contrary. ;)

Cliff, you've long since earned my trust. I say replace whichever IRs you see fit for the betterment of your product.

I do think you should have at least one good G12-65 IR for the Robben Ford wannabes though...

Is there a way to convert the OH IR's without having to buy CabLab? If so, I would be all over the OH stuff as I think they sound great from what I've been exposed to.

A free version of Cab-Lab will be available soon. This version, Cab-Lab Lite, will allow only a single file to be loaded at a time and disables all advanced features.

Back
Top Bottom