Anyone Using Factory Cabs 54-57?

Would you have a conniption fit if factory cab 54, 55, 56 or 57 were replaced?

• Total voters
Replace them.....ML makes some great IR's. I own all his Cab Packs, so it won't do me any good.......but it will give those out there without his Packs some great IR's to work with.

Kill 'em all. Just don't ever get rid of the original 4x12 Cali. The Cali IRs in the Cab-Pack sound nothing like it.
"I think" that IR may actually be a Guitarhack IR from a Mesa 4x12 Traditional shot with a tube amp... I may be wrong but I remember comparing some of those side by side and finding a match.

It actually makes sense that it may lose revenue for the IR makers. I know several people that love Mikko's IR's, for example, but have never purchased a pack of his. The factory Mesas and Marshalls seem to be sufficient for their needs. Different strokes and all that. And I agree about the RedWirez, not my cup of tea either.
This is like the software piracy arguments that don't hold water. Customers that have no intention of ever buying OH or MLs stuff may benefit from the handful of factory IRs donated but it in no way constitutes a loss of a sale since some people just don't buy add-ons/software. If the cheap skates are going to just use factory IRs it is a no-op, whatever is in there is what they use; but the developers who don't get any of that free advertising/exposure are missing out. ML is extremely smart in this regard.

Worst case scenario is no-loss, best case is it gets people talking about your product and it could in fact turn a few non-buyers into buyers if they are in fact, THAT good.

RW stuff is great. It is just not up to the current state of the art. I remixed a bunch of them with CAB Lab and still use a couple of custom ones to this day. Good stuff.

This is like the software piracy arguments that don't hold water. Customers that have no intention of ever buying OH or MLs stuff may benefit from the handful of factory IRs donated but it in no way constitutes a loss of a sale since some people just don't buy add-ons/software. If the cheap skates are going to just use factory IRs it is a no-op, whatever is in there is what they use; but the developers who don't get any of that free advertising/exposure are missing out. ML is extremely smart in this regard.

Worst case scenario is no-loss, best case is it gets people talking about your product and it could in fact turn a few non-buyers into buyers if they are in fact, THAT good.

RW stuff is great. It is just not up to the current state of the art. I remixed a bunch of them with CAB Lab and still use a couple of custom ones to this day. Good stuff.

The piracy arguments do hold water because the so-called cheap skates don't get something they didn't pay for and don't deserve to have. As someone that writes commercial software for a living, I think it sucks that people pirate software, music, video, etc.

It also can and does turn happily paying customers into freebie only users as they are conditioned to expect it, no matter the quality of the offering. The whole "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" debacle. This is, again, at one side's loss and the other's gain without a licensing structure or other related revenue stream (such as direct employment, profit sharing, etc) to offset it. Smart are those that are aware of this and act accordingly, especially given the emergence of so many other platforms on the market who also want to increase their out of the box strengths in acknowledgement of the section of clientele that aren't aware of or aren't interested in supporting 3rd party add on content for this feature set value add.

The piracy arguments do hold water because the so-called cheap skates don't get something they didn't pay for and don't deserve to have. As someone that writes commercial software for a living, I think it sucks that people pirate software, music, video, etc.
That makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective and is completely non-responsive to the original post.

The argument you are putting forth is something completely different: You are trying to say, samples should not be provided because it is somehow unjust to the developer or allows revenge on the pirates (as if a pirate is hurt by this instead of regular users... No pirate is just going to be satisfied with the factory IRs and say "FAS did my job for me" instead of going straight to bit torrent and downloading hundreds for free).

This rationale also assumes the developer is not getting compensated in any way which is demonstrably incorrect, since he gets advertising (which is generally a huge cost and difficult to do well), implicit endorsement from the manufacturer (most AFX users have deep respect for FAS endorsement), and good will among potential customers, who I doubt, like the implication that they are assumed as free loaders by default.

Sure, piracy sucks. No one is arguing in favor of it AFAIK. That is completely orthogonal to this discussion and hurts everyone in the long run. Samples not == piracy. That is the point, its free advertising, and anyone who does not realize it deserves their fate in lost sales and potential positive feelings among end users.

Either way a pirate is going straight to a stealing the full set. That's how piracy works, I'm shocked that anyone who is going to try to play the fallacious argument from authority card ("writes commercial software for a living") is simple minded enough to not go a little deeper into the logic of the situation.

I have specifically bought OH products due to free samples provided and positive discussion here.

Totally agree Gregmang, I'm not against it, just that it needs to be thought through and discussed. :)

Would be cool if the USB port could double for use as accessing flash drive storage devices in live settings when not connected to a PC/Mac. I don't use the cab block or user slots to know if this is actually the case (or even possible from a technical standpoint)...

Future Fractal owners may never become aware of OH, and if they do they might assume OH was not good enough to be chosen as a factory IR.

I see where some may assume that hypothetical, however playing the devil's advocate if they try the free demo on the website (once it's updated) they may then likely assume that standing independent was more lucrative. In any case, continued on way more than I intended to, off to finishing up the next release and will happily keep an eye on email to see if this is continued there from the topic last discussed 9 months ago. :)

That makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective and is completely non-responsive to the original post.

The argument you are putting forth is something completely different: You are trying to say, samples should not be provided because it is somehow unjust to the developer or allows revenge on the pirates (as if a pirate is hurt by this instead of regular users... No pirate is just going to be satisfied with the factory IRs and say "FAS did my job for me" instead of going straight to bit torrent and downloading hundreds for free).

This rationale also assumes the developer is not getting compensated in any way which is demonstrably incorrect, since he gets advertising (which is generally a huge cost and difficult to do well), implicit endorsement from the manufacturer (most AFX users have deep respect for FAS endorsement), and good will among potential customers, who I doubt, like the implication that they are assumed as free loaders by default.

Sure, piracy sucks. No one is arguing in favor of it AFAIK. That is completely orthogonal to this discussion and hurts everyone in the long run. Samples not == piracy. That is the point, its free advertising, and anyone who does not realize it deserves their fate in lost sales and potential positive feelings among end users.

Either way a pirate is going straight to a stealing the full set. That's how piracy works, I'm shocked that anyone who is going to try to play the fallacious argument from authority card ("writes commercial software for a living") is simple minded enough to not go a little deeper into the logic of the situation.

I have specifically bought OH products due to free samples provided and positive discussion here.

I wasn't debating the value of having a demo IR or two from anyone or the potential benefit to the provider. If anything, the Helix proved the point ideally, providing some robust cabinet models and at least a few demo IRs is pretty important (regardless of the source).

You said "This is like the software piracy arguments that don't hold water." And that is what I was responding to. Also, it's not about revenge, it's about not giving stuff away.

Why can't the Factory IRs be overwritten, by the user with their own choices? I'd love to be able to replace the ones I don't use with any of the many Fractal,Ownhammer and Ampfactory IRs I have bought. As a II owner the user area is too small!

Back
Top Bottom