Anyone Using Factory Cabs 54-57?

Would you have a conniption fit if factory cab 54, 55, 56 or 57 were replaced?

• Total voters
Why can't the Factory IRs be overwritten, by the user with their own choices? I'd love to be able to replace the ones I don't use with any of the many Fractal,Ownhammer and Ampfactory IRs I have bought. As a II owner the user area is too small!

+1,000,000!!! I can't stand most of the factory IRs. UR spoiled me. Sad because some, like the Hiwatts for example, don't seem to be getting replaced with better versions, and there aren't any third party IR makers capturing these cabs. If I have no use for them, I would gladly replace them.

In reality, this is not how the AxeFX is programmed. I am certain, even with software updates, the end user will never be able to overwrite the factory IR's. Different types of memory.

Last edited:
This is like the software piracy arguments that don't hold water. Customers that have no intention of ever buying OH or MLs stuff may benefit from the handful of factory IRs donated but it in no way constitutes a loss of a sale since some people just don't buy add-ons/software. If the cheap skates are going to just use factory IRs it is a no-op, whatever is in there is what they use; but the developers who don't get any of that free advertising/exposure are missing out. ML is extremely smart in this regard.

Worst case scenario is no-loss, best case is it gets people talking about your product and it could in fact turn a few non-buyers into buyers if they are in fact, THAT good.

RW stuff is great. It is just not up to the current state of the art. I remixed a bunch of them with CAB Lab and still use a couple of custom ones to this day. Good stuff.

Hey, Zenaxe, I am glad you responded to my post. Though you disagree with my idea, I am pleased that my post inspired such an interesting debate. You, Tim and Kevin have all made fine points that should be considered. We are somewhat derailing Cliff's thread though.

Also, I am intrigued that you are fond of the RW IRs. I have not found any I particularly care for. Can you point me to some that you like or maybe share some of your mixes?

Regardless, all the best to all involved in this conversation.

having "worse" Factory cabs isn't really the best selling point for buying other IRs.

i'd vote for changing it to have maybe 40 or so Factory Cabs, but all UltraRes. with the reduced amount of options, people should be inspired to buy more IR packs, yet we could still get great sounds from the Factory options.

when the Axe first launched, there wasn't such an IR craze, so there were many Factory choices. these days it's all about the IRs, so having fewer in Factory would be a great reason to inspire purchasing more.

As far as I understood the factory cabs are in the ROM (read only memory). Hence it's impossible to overwrite them (because they are "read only" :) ). Reducing them would be a waste of memory.

As far as I understood the factory cabs are in the ROM (read only memory). Hence it's impossible to overwrite them (because they are "read only" :) ). Reducing them would be a waste of memory.
perhaps, but maybe they could use the ROM for something else. we don't know.

i do know that having fewer choices in Factory cabs would help first-time users out a bit, based on experience in working with first-time users. :) and again, fewer choices there might help inspire purchasing IR packs.

, I am intrigued that you are fond of the RW IRs. I have not found any I particularly care for. Can you point me to some that you like or maybe share some of your mixes?

IR development has progressed without a doubt.
But that doesn't mean that non-UR IRs are useless. I created great tones using the RW IRs. The G12H30 in particular rocked, and the various EV-12L offerings. And I still prefer to combine the SLO amp model with the RW SLO IRs, above anything else. Depending on the selected specific IR, applying low-cut and high-cut is mandatory.

IR development has progressed without a doubt.
But that doesn't mean that non-UR IRs are useless. I created great tones using the RW IRs. The G12H30 in particular rocked, and the various EV-12L offerings. And I still prefer to combine the SLO amp model with the RW SLO IRs, above anything else. Depending on the selected specific IR, applying low-cut and high-cut is mandatory.

Thank you Yek, I will play with your suggestions once I can convince myself to stop playing with Per's recaptured Legacy pack. I'm addicted!

A free version of Cab-Lab will be available soon. This version, Cab-Lab Lite, will allow only a single file to be loaded at a time and disables all advanced features.
So what it does is convert file formats to be used with the AxeFX, one IR at a time? Just trying to understand this.

Last edited:
So many people miss the importance of cabs and speaker choices in general. Less so for pro players, however for the novices its often a sore spot of knowledge. I have had many a long discussion with people over cab choices at shows and music stores.

A free version of Cab-Lab will be available soon. This version, Cab-Lab Lite, will allow only a single file to be loaded at a time and disables all advanced features.

This is super cool of you IMO a nice thing to do for the guys that own other IRs like the Redwirz ,OH as well as the guys making them

Another reason why FAS rules very Classy

"I think" that IR may actually be a Guitarhack IR from a Mesa 4x12 Traditional shot with a tube amp... I may be wrong but I remember comparing some of those side by side and finding a match.

Any idea which ones? Every 'Cali' IR in the Cab-Pack I've tried has a terrible upper-midrange honk.

I just checked and I use 57 for one preset, "jaycm800's Brit", which is basically "Mark Day's HBE" but with my preferred amp and tweaks. I like both presets.

How can I keep this one? Can I do it with Fractal Bot or Axe edit?

I don't have CabLab so I don't know what the advanced features are about.
I would like to know if we will be able to convert 200 ms IR .wav files to URES IR .syx files ?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom