Anyone use Input Dynamics?

Do you use Input Dynamics in the Amp block?

• No

Votes: 179 59.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 121 40.3%

• Total voters
The Dynamics type in the Compressor block is the same thing with more control.
Sorry to wake this thread from the dead …

So my question :

Does the default settings of the dynamics compressor are the same as the input dynamics on the axe 3 ?

I use it on every crunch tone cause it helps the « amp like feel ».

How would you set the attack and threshold?

Thanks

Non-amp related items in the amp block have always struck me as dubious, albeit understanding the processing savings that go with them, I generally find it clearer to break things out. I'm more likely to use the feature on the FM3 where I'm always running up against limits. So somewhat ambivalent about the question.

That said, I'd rather have the ability to turn off some of the overhead on the drive and compressor blocks to allow them to behave like the stripped down versions within the amp block. And all of this said with naivety about how much non-negotiable overhead goes with an additional, lean as possible, block.

Edit: Holy cow this is an old thread! Sorry to prolong the zombification...

Last edited:
Non-amp related items in the amp block have always struck me as dubious, albeit understanding the processing savings that go with them, I generally find it clearer to break things out. I'm more likely to use the feature on the FM3 where I'm always running up against limits. So somewhat ambivalent about the question.

To relate to others, I also just recently discovered this and after reading more, realized it's just an easter egg that saves CPU compared to running a compressor in front.

Most of the time I just assume that 'Advanced' Settings are things I would never do on a real amp, therefore I never touch them (except for a few like Impedance Curves or one or 2 others). Input Dynamics isn't really one of these 'simulated' changes that people rarely make - it's a Compressor Block alternative, saving CPU, as you said. Similar to the 'Boosts' within the Amp Block to replace a Drive Block.

I wish there was a list of these types of CPU saving parameters that are buried within other blocks so people like me aren't as avoidant of advanced params.

There’s another way. Pick a parameter and read up and on it. If it sounds like something you’d like to use, give it t a try.

(Deleted - uncalled for). Neither the WIKI or the Owners manual states that the input dynamics parameter saves CPU vs using a dynamic compressor for a similar purpose. The only reason I found this was because I did 'Read Up' on it in the forum. And stumbled into a post from Cliff who stated it....

I hardly have time to play my instrument let alone sit around reading the manual or scouring the forum for nuggets like this.

It's reasonable to have a list of this kind of stuff in 1 place.... It wouldn't even be hard to do if people just aggregated it in a thread or the wiki. The whole purpose of the forum is to help eachother and ask questions, the wiki is a perfect example of compiling such questions into 1 place. But suddenly this is a 'do your own research' thing?

Look I get that we all need to read up, but I've played fractal gear for 10 years and still find new stuff in it. It's an awesome piece of gear. But this kind of stuff needs to be easier to find. Ease of use is the #1 barrier of entry for prospective fractal users and that type of mindset works to perpetuate it.

Last edited:
To relate to others, I also just recently discovered this and after reading more, realized it's just an easter egg that saves CPU compared to running a compressor in front.

Most of the time I just assume that 'Advanced' Settings are things I would never do on a real amp, therefore I never touch them (except for a few like Impedance Curves or one or 2 others). Input Dynamics isn't really one of these 'simulated' changes that people rarely make - it's a Compressor Block alternative, saving CPU, as you said. Similar to the 'Boosts' within the Amp Block to replace a Drive Block.

I wish there was a list of these types of CPU saving parameters that are buried within other blocks so people like me aren't as avoidant of advanced params.
I'm not sure it is a replacement for a Compressor.

From the manual:
Input Dynamics – (Axe-Fx III only) Sets the strength of an input dynamics processor. When set below zero, the amp type compresses, resulting in a smoother, less dynamic sound. When set greater than zero, the amp expands, resulting in a punchier, crunchier and more dynamic sound. Note that extreme values can have undesirable side- effects such as pumping or clipping.

Output Compression – This controls the ratio of a compressor specifically tailored to reduce the output dynamic range of the amp block. A gain reduction meter shows the amount of compression when this parameter row is selected.
Compressor Type – Sets the type

The fact that Cliff calls it an input dynamics processor seems very specific considering that for Output it's actually called "compressor".

I could be wrong, and it gets you the desired tone/effect then it doesn't really matter in any case.

(Deleted - uncalled for). Neither the WIKI or the Owners manual states that the input dynamics parameter saves CPU vs using a dynamic compressor for a similar purpose. The only reason I found this was because I did 'Read Up' on it in the forum. And stumbled into a post from Cliff who stated it....

I hardly have time to play my instrument let alone sit around reading the manual or scouring the forum for nuggets like this.

It's reasonable to have a list of this kind of stuff in 1 place.... It wouldn't even be hard to do if people just aggregated it in a thread or the wiki. The whole purpose of the forum is to help eachother and ask questions, the wiki is a perfect example of compiling such questions into 1 place. But suddenly this is a 'do your own research' thing?

Look I get that we all need to read up, but I've played fractal gear for 10 years and still find new stuff in it. It's an awesome piece of gear. But this kind of stuff needs to be easier to find. Ease of use is the #1 barrier of entry for prospective fractal users and that type of mindset works to perpetuate it.
I'm not sure what you deleted, but you certainly didn't remove the "tone" from your post...

As far as adding this information in the wiki - be the change you want to see.

Anyone can edit the wiki if they want to. It's not managed by Fractal. Create a page for CPU savings tips and add what you know. Encourage others to add to it.

I'm not sure it is a replacement for a Compressor.

From the manual:

The fact that Cliff calls it an input dynamics processor seems very specific considering that for Output it's actually called "compressor".

I could be wrong, and it gets you the desired tone/effect then it doesn't really matter in any case.

Here's what Cliff said in this thread.

I use it from time to time but.. Isn't it just an expander in front of the amp?
Those of us who use it could just replace it with a gate or comp (dynamics type) I think.

The Dynamics type in the Compressor block is the same thing with more control.

I'm not sure what you deleted, but you certainly didn't remove the "tone" from your post...

As far as adding this information in the wiki - be the change you want to see.

Anyone can edit the wiki if they want to. It's not managed by Fractal. Create a page for CPU savings tips and add what you know. Encourage others to add to it.

Yeah the tone was enough.

Sure I'll start a thread - I don't know enough of these CPU saving parameters, so it'd be trivial to update the wiki with my limited knowledge.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...arameters-list-please-add-to-the-list.203216/

You kind of got it backwards.

What he said is that a specific type of the Compressor block is the same as the Input Dynamics.

So, yes, if replacing that specific type of Compressor is your goal then you're covered.

That's actually exactly what I meant. I never said it was a replacement for a compressor.

I'm new to the input dynamics parameter though so if it doesn't actually replace the dynamics type of compressor block, then someone can fix it in the other thread. I'm sure there are nuances lost in using the simplified input dynamics parameter

I don’t think its’ really a compressor but more like dynamic attack emphasis.
do you I know guys the answer to my questions?

I’m on the fm3 and just want to simulate the input dynamics of the axe 3 as the dynamics compressor is just the same thing but with more option.
Sorry to wake this thread from the dead …

So my question :

Does the default settings of the dynamics compressor are the same as the input dynamics on the axe 3 ?

I use it on every crunch tone cause it helps the « amp like feel ».

How would you set the attack and threshold?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom