Amp sim requests

As a lot of people love Metallica's early sound (MOP) and there is no possibility to change power amp sims at the moment maybe Cliff could add another Mesa Mark amp with a JCM800 power amp included. I think there's enough space available and we already have all ingredients.
What do you think about it?

BTW: The Larry looks/sounds interesting (according to the Diablo YouTube video)

^ Or better yet, the ability to go in and change power tubes would be nice. I know you can't mix and match power amp sections, but does this also apply to tubes, or would it just be a parameter change? This is probably the wrong thread to suggest that, but it's related to the above post.

RB_Guitar said:
Or better yet, the ability to go in and change power tubes would be nice

I remember that Cliff does not want to do that in order to not reveal business secrets

Cliff never said that about powertube selection, but being able to select the the poweramp (jcm 800, recto, vox, etc.).

Cliff never said that about powertube selection, but being able to select the the poweramp (jcm 800, recto, vox, etc.).

You're right. But IMO the circuit is important, too. So I don't know how close can we get to e.g. Metallica-MOP just by changing the tubes.

RB_Guitar said:

You're right. But IMO the circuit is important, too. So I don't know how close can we get to e.g. Metallica-MOP just by changing the tubes.

I agree.

:lol:

The description for the two pixeled out pots are pretty informative.

Bite & Punch are included in a pre-shape filter, located between the input tube and the first overdrive tube. To explain the Punch first let's think about a regular Bass control. A Bass control is operating very broadband, so when you turn down the Bass trying to get a tighter sound, from a certain setting downwards you're not only loosing bass, but also low mids - you're loosing the frequency range, from where the 'Ooomph' is/was coming from and you'll end up with a thin sound.

Hence I've designed the Punch control in a way, that you may attenuate or even nearly cut off the lower bass amount, but by keeping the low mids, so that you can dial in an ultra tight Heavysound no matter at what Gain setting, but the Ooomph doesn't disappear.

Another benefit of this solution is, that you don't charge the overdrive stages with too much bass amount, which is 'power eating', makes the attack slower - and you anyway have to filter it out later with the tone stack's Bass control, to not end up with a boomy and flubby sound.

So with the Punch control 'correct' set, you never can get a flubby, sluggish Leadsound - and with the Bass & Reactance (about Depth) controls then you only adjust, how 'big' your sound will be.

About the same with the Bite control, just on the opposite side of the guitar's frequency range. You know, when you try to get rid of too much brightness in the sound and are setting the Treble control too low, you easily can end up with a dull sound!

Not so with the Bite control, what's way more narrowbanded operating as i.e. a Treble control and is more focussed into the high mids & lower highs, by keeping the upper highs nearly untouched (that's the job of the Treble & Presence control!). So you can set the Bite control even to zero, to enable a round and sweet singing lead tone w/ tons of feedback, but not dull in any way! Or you adjust the Bite control to about 6 to 8, to obtain an aggressive, biting 'into your face' Heavychord/Lead tone.

In fact the Bite & Punch controls give you more versatility to fine-tune 'your' sound, than the common Treble-Mid-Bass tone controls.

Larry

It was also said that these controls are after the input gain stage, not at the input itself. I think these would be nice features to have, but are somewhat possible to get with the tools we have in the box. It's kind of like the discussion with the MkIV's graphic EQ. We got one we can mimick, but it's not going to sit in the correct position within the amp.

Just in case no one paid any attention the first 17 times... I'd like to give some love to all the channels of the old Rockman X100. Nothing does Boston, or early Tony MacAlpine or Def Leppard or Queensryche (when they were good) like the ol' SR&D Rockman X100.

:)

Thanks,
Jeff

SliderJeff said:
Just in case no one paid any attention the first 17 times... I'd like to give some love to all the channels of the old Rockman X100. Nothing does Boston, or early Tony MacAlpine or Def Leppard or Queensryche (when they were good) like the ol' SR&D Rockman X100.

Thanks,
Jeff
...or to me :lol:

thadood said:
:lol:

The description for the two pixeled out pots are pretty informative.

Bite & Punch are included in a pre-shape filter, located between the input tube and the first overdrive tube. To explain the Punch first let's think about a regular Bass control. A Bass control is operating very broadband, so when you turn down the Bass trying to get a tighter sound, from a certain setting downwards you're not only loosing bass, but also low mids - you're loosing the frequency range, from where the 'Ooomph' is/was coming from and you'll end up with a thin sound.

Hence I've designed the Punch control in a way, that you may attenuate or even nearly cut off the lower bass amount, but by keeping the low mids, so that you can dial in an ultra tight Heavysound no matter at what Gain setting, but the Ooomph doesn't disappear.

Another benefit of this solution is, that you don't charge the overdrive stages with too much bass amount, which is 'power eating', makes the attack slower - and you anyway have to filter it out later with the tone stack's Bass control, to not end up with a boomy and flubby sound.

So with the Punch control 'correct' set, you never can get a flubby, sluggish Leadsound - and with the Bass & Reactance (about Depth) controls then you only adjust, how 'big' your sound will be.

About the same with the Bite control, just on the opposite side of the guitar's frequency range. You know, when you try to get rid of too much brightness in the sound and are setting the Treble control too low, you easily can end up with a dull sound!

Not so with the Bite control, what's way more narrowbanded operating as i.e. a Treble control and is more focussed into the high mids & lower highs, by keeping the upper highs nearly untouched (that's the job of the Treble & Presence control!). So you can set the Bite control even to zero, to enable a round and sweet singing lead tone w/ tons of feedback, but not dull in any way! Or you adjust the Bite control to about 6 to 8, to obtain an aggressive, biting 'into your face' Heavychord/Lead tone.

In fact the Bite & Punch controls give you more versatility to fine-tune 'your' sound, than the common Treble-Mid-Bass tone controls.

Larry

It was also said that these controls are after the input gain stage, not at the input itself. I think these would be nice features to have, but are somewhat possible to get with the tools we have in the box. It's kind of like the discussion with the MkIV's graphic EQ. We got one we can mimick, but it's not going to sit in the correct position within the amp.
The input gain should be pretty close to linear (since it's pre-overdrive), so a filter or PEQ right before the amp block should have basically the same effect. Punch sounds a bit like the Low-cut Freq control, Bite sounds like a notch (or maybe peak at high values) in the high-mids/lower highs. So I agree, I think these are already do-able with existing features.

SliderJeff said:

Thanks,
Jeff

I agree, I want to be able to play some T-Mac convincingly! It's one of the only sounds I can think of that I couldn't make as is.

jerotas said:
SliderJeff said:

Thanks,
Jeff

I agree, I want to be able to play some T-Mac convincingly! It's one of the only sounds I can think of that I couldn't make as is.
I didn't know T-Mac played guitar? Well, maybe he probably has time now that he's out for the season... ;)

mortega76 said:
jerotas said:
SliderJeff said:

Thanks,
Jeff

I didn't know T-Mac played guitar? Well, maybe he probably has time now that he's out for the season... ;)

Ugh... even mentioning the name of a convict, errr... NBA player in the same sentence as someone of Tony's calibre makes the bile rise. Can you tell I hate basketball? :)

SliderJeff said:
mortega76 said:
jerotas said:

Ugh... even mentioning the name of a convict, errr... NBA player in the same sentence as someone of Tony's calibre makes the bile rise. Can you tell I hate basketball? :)
You must like soccer then... ;)

mortega76 said:
You must like soccer then... ;)

LOL. Nope. Ice Hockey fan. It's the only sport I watch now. LET'S GO RED WINGS! I don't hate soccer, as I played it for several years in my younger days. What I can't stand is when players get fouled and go down like they got shot. The refs would have picked us up off the field by our hair if we tried that as kids. "Get up, son, before I kick yer ass and hand you over to your dad." :)

Back
Top Bottom