Amp sim requests

Would be great if Pete lent his Ampeg Super Echo Twin to Cliff to model!!

Something I found while researching his early tones

For the uninitated this is actually two 30-watt amps (ReverbRocket amps) put in the same box. These were enormously expensive when they came out and actually sold for more than Fender Showmans and Fender Twin Reverbs in the day. The stereo panning effect from one speaker to the next (left to right) is pretty intense. It must be heard to be believed.

These are super rare amplifiers, this being the Super Echo Twin, instead of just the earlier Echo Twin. This was a favorite of Peter Frampton's and can be heard on the solos on the Frampton Comes Alive! album

http://www.frontiernet.net/~montevina/Ampeg Super Echo Twin1.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~montevina/Ampeg Super Echo Twin8.jpg

Ampeg ET-2B Super Echo Twin Amplifier Schematic

Last edited:
Would be great if Pete lent his Ampeg Super Echo Twin to Cliff to model!!

If Cliff wants to model a Super Echo Twin, I've got one I'd lend him. It's a great amp. I'd play it a fair amount when the other guitar player would use a Fender Tweed Deluxe. It would overdrive in a more "hi fi" sounding way, not nearly as ragged as a Tweed, but very singing and jazzy/fusiony.

Cliff, if you want to model it, just let me know.

Mike

PS I'd also love to hear an Ampeg V2 or V4 modeled. I love the V2 and find it amazingly versatile and great sounding. It's a steal at current prices.

Although this is not technically a 'guitar' tube amp, it is a tube amp that I use for guitar all of the time... and NOTHING sounds as nice as this thing does for clean tones. (I use it as my 'front end' when going into my DAW for my software amp modelers)

It's an MI-11241 mic pre with a mod to patch directly into the grid.

It has a uniquely built (one of a kind, really) output transformer and uses a 12AY7 as a SINGLE triode.

We've been using these in recording studios for years but you can't find them on the open market. They originally came inside of the old 1950's RCA BC2B broadcast consoles and you had to buy a console to get one... then build a power supply and rack housing to use them.

I bought two consoles from Mark Linett just before he did the Beach Boys albums a few years ago.

But seriously, for guitar clean tones, this is as smooth as silk and has a gentle rise that goes all the way up past 30k.

If you want an impules, I can probably make one, but I don't have an AXE FX yet, so no patches from me for now. (I think/hope I'm on the waiting list for a AXE FX II coupon).

I'll share when it's done...

Or if you want to sample one of my units, Cliff, just contact me.

Here is a copy of the schematics:

RCA BC2B Schematics

All the best to you!

Larry

Last edited:
Although this is not technically a 'guitar' tube amp, it is a tube amp that I use for guitar all of the time... and NOTHING sounds as nice as this thing does for clean tones. (I use it as my 'front end' when going into my DAW for my software amp modelers)

It's an MI-11241 mic pre with a mod to patch directly into the grid.

It has a uniquely built (one of a kind, really) output transformer and uses a 12AY7 as a SINGLE triode.

We've been using these in recording studios for years but you can't find them on the open market. They originally came inside of the old 1950's RCA BC2B broadcast consoles and you had to buy a console to get one... then build a power supply and rack housing to use them.

I bought two consoles from Mark Linett just before he did the Beach Boys albums a few years ago.

But seriously, for guitar clean tones, this is as smooth as silk and has a gentle rise that goes all the way up past 30k.

If you want an impules, I can probably make one, but I don't have an AXE FX yet, so no patches from me for now. (I think/hope I'm on the waiting list for a AXE FX II coupon).

I'll share when it's done...

Or if you want to sample one of my units, Cliff, just contact me.

Here is a copy of the schematics:

RCA BC2B Schematics

All the best to you!

Larry

great idea, great post!
sounds like a very fitting addition to the Axe's arsenal.

'till then impulse responses would be very cool!

pm sent. :)

Should there be a separate Axe-fx II amp sim wish list or just update the "header" and location of this thread?

Back
Top Bottom