Amp sim requests

Mesa Lonestar!!

Also, Peters Chimera or Gryphon... I know they aren't that well known (except on the HCAF board) but they are absolutely top notch.

Just some ideas...
1) ***Elmwood Modena***
2) Fuchs Super OD
3) Wizard amp of some sort.
4) Blackstar.
5) Bugera
6) KItty Hawk (love Reb Beach and Kee Marcellos tone)
7) Carvin Quad X Amp.

aftec said:
:shock: Bugera ?

Yeah, that was my reaction too. Bugera amps are just clones of Peavey favorites - 5150, & Triple XXX/JSX family.

Cliffs already given us the 5150 (not sure if he modeled the original or II) and the various Marshall sims get just about anything my Triple XXX's were capable of (the Axe-Fx sounds better, actually).

Im gonna ask cos everytime I do it seems to happen :D (VHT, Cornford, Dr Z !!!!)

Id like a Carr slant 6V, a /13 and maybe a Diamond in the axe please please please.

Just counted, and there are 64 amp models now :geek: Well worth trying them all again since 7.0 was released.
An abundance of great hi-gain ones there already.
Give dude a break now, but eventually some more vintage sounding ones, like any Matchless (e.g. King Cobra) would be good.

OK.... I'm gonna go into left field. I want another triaxis sound.

Cliff does pretty well with the mesa stuff, and he put in some triaxis sounds in there already (clearly he knows his audience). There is a triaxis sound that's unorthodox but really incredible in terms of having plenty of gain but maintaining great string-to-string clarity. You get it by violating mesa's guidelines for the "recto" channel (lead 1 red): you're supposed to have the drive on 6 and never activate the "dynamic voice" control in this mode in order to repro the classic "recto" sound. That's how Cliff modeled that channel, and it really sounds like just a variation on basic recto, especially mated the dual recto power section as it is in the axe-fx. But if you put the dynamic voice on 1, drop the drive a bit, and play with the mids control you get incredible dirty but articulate sounds. You can use any neck pickup with no woof, switch to bridge and still sound great, use if for rhythm or lead, and it does great things with palm muting. It's way way cool. I've tried to reproduce this in my axe-fx (and other amps) and can't get close.

Here's a sound bite of what I'm talking about: the "stratty" parts are the patch. (The wah parts are just basic boogie). Unfortunately, there's no rhythm in this track using that sound, which is where it excels even more. This is recorded direct, so amp sim is a non-issue. I know it's a long shot but hey, everyone else put the kitchen sink in!

Any triaxis users who know this trick, let me know if (and how) you got the axe-fx to do it!

www.myspace.com/jpulcini

jojo said:
OK.... I'm gonna go into left field. I want another triaxis sound.

Cliff does pretty well with the mesa stuff, and he put in some triaxis sounds in there already (clearly he knows his audience). There is a triaxis sound that's unorthodox but really incredible in terms of having plenty of gain but maintaining great string-to-string clarity. You get it by violating mesa's guidelines for the "recto" channel (lead 1 red): you're supposed to have the drive on 6 and never activate the "dynamic voice" control in this mode in order to repro the classic "recto" sound. That's how Cliff modeled that channel, and it really sounds like just a variation on basic recto, especially mated the dual recto power section as it is in the axe-fx. But if you put the dynamic voice on 1, drop the drive a bit, and play with the mids control you get incredible dirty but articulate sounds. You can use any neck pickup with no woof, switch to bridge and still sound great, use if for rhythm or lead, and it does great things with palm muting. It's way way cool. I've tried to reproduce this in my axe-fx (and other amps) and can't get close.

Here's a sound bite of what I'm talking about: the "stratty" parts are the patch. (The wah parts are just basic boogie). Unfortunately, there's no rhythm in this track using that sound, which is where it excels even more. This is recorded direct, so amp sim is a non-issue. I know it's a long shot but hey, everyone else put the kitchen sink in!

Any triaxis users who know this trick, let me know if (and how) you got the axe-fx to do it!

http://www.myspace.com/jpulcini

I must admit, that is a very interesting tone, and I love it. Anybody got something close to that one?

Also, more Cornford. Honestly, can't really think of anything else that I could possibly need.

I'll try to scratch together a video or sound bite doing different things with that tone. I can't say enough about it and I use it for lots of things live, which is part of the reason the axe-fx hasn't replaced my rack yet. That track is neck pickup of a strat with pretty hot pickups. Notice how I just slam an open low E string in the middle of certain riffs and there's no woof? I can do that with the neck pickup of a 335 also, but it still sounds cool when I go to bridge or anything in between. Using the same patch I can crank up the dynamic voice and get a huge bottom for modern stuff, but still hear all my strings. I play in a 3-piece and I do a lot of arpeggiation to fill the sound, so I need sounds that have distortion but string-to-string clarity at the same time. This trick really does it for me. I suspect my solution in the axe-fx will involve a lower-gain amp model with a drive block in front. It doesn't have to be the same sound, but it has to do what that sound does. I can make palm-muted arpeggios just jump out, I can hit full six-string chords and hear everythng, when I hit a low note partially muted it kicks in the gut, and I can use any pickup combination without getting woofy or harsh. Me like.

When Mesa came out with the Nomad amps a few years ago I compared a Nomad to a rectoverb for an afternoon (I bought both and kept neither). I recall that the Nomad had a very glassy clean sound (sort of like a mark III) and the Nomad recto channel sounded a little like my triaxis patch. The rectoverb had a much bigger lusher clean sound, and the recto channel had the typical big woof. Mesa said the circuits of the preamps in those amps are quite similar, and that most of the difference is in the power stage, so maybe there's something inherent in the recto power stage.... who knows.

Seems to be a lot of rack preamps added, so I'll put in another vote for the Fish, especially the shark channel.

A shiva would be great as well.

Thanks!

-W

With the slew of recent additions, I think that the tonal repertoire of the Axe is almost complete. Some of the amp sims requested here can be attained by tweaking an existing sim (i.e. Steve Vai's Legacy tone can be tweaker out of the Bogner Ecstasy high gain lead sound etc.). That said, if you want suggestions to really solidify the variety within the unit, I believe that the addition of an Orange Rockerverb 50 would be very welcome, as well as a Budda Superdrive 30 or 45. I have seen postings from people saying you can tweak a variety of amps to get the sound of a Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme, but they aren't really doing it for me, so this would be the icing on the boutique cake.

...fwiw, ya'll have mentioned roughly 150 different amps in this thread. :p
...in reading through the entire thread, I imagine a few things could help when you request...

- request it here once
- give the full manufacturer name (there's some really esoteric ones requested here)
- give the full amp model name (include wattage and head/combo/rack/etc if the same model comes in different forms)
- be as specific as possible (many requests just throw out a manufacturer name -- no model, no rationale)
- add links (manufacturer, audio samples, reviews, etc.)
- note when you have definitely official schematics
- any additional notes about the particular sound you're chasing from this amp and can't find in the Axe-Fx
- don't get your hopes up
- and try to keep it very brief, short, and to the point, or keep the model/manufacturer very separate from your writeup

...at least, if I were trying to figure out what to put in the Axe-Fx next, that would help me. Cliff and Co. probably work differently.

-----

Now, I know "votes" doesn't necessarily mean "best" or most suited to be new additions to the Axe-Fx, but since I bothered to try and tally them as best I could, here's the top requests from the thread, by manufacturer -- any manufacturer with 5+ votes is included.

5 votes - Randall
5 votes - Lab Series
6 votes - Krank
6 votes - Diezel
8 votes - Fender
8 votes - ADA
10 votes - Vox
11 votes - Marshall
11 votes - Peavey (and we got the 5150!)
12 votes - Bogner (and we got the Uberschall!)
13 votes - Ampeg (and we got the SVT!)
14 votes - VHT/Fryette (and we got the Deliverance 60!)
15 votes - Engl
15 votes - Cornford (and we got the RK100!)
16 votes - Orange
22 votes - Mesa (and shredi got the Mk IIC+!)

-----

final note: please remember that Cliff said that 7.04 would be the last firmware for a while so he can work on other projects... and that, again, there's around 150 amps wished for in this thread already! :D

Back
Top Bottom