Wish ADA MP-1

the closest thing to an ADA IMO would be the Marshall JMP 1 , with a tube screamer and and boss ch1 for chorusing , I had both and they were similar
The ADA. is active eq.-6, 0 +6 if I recall same as the Marshall , it has 2 gains one is the tube gain , the other is the Solid state OD circuit and you can blend them so to simulate that on the axe if you used performance pages take the gain from. the JMP1 as Gain 1 and assign the Drive from your screamer as Gain 2 , you can mix and match them from there

I ran some pink noise through my original MP-1 and it seems like the Bass/Mid/Treble/Presence are indeed a post gain active EQ with the bass centered around 120hz, mid at 600hz, treble at 2.4k and the presence either a 5k peaking filter or a high shelf. The bass and treble controls actually seem pretty accurate - +16 on the bass corresponded to +16.5dB of gain on mine while the mid was a little less accurate. -8 on the Mp-1 mid control is around -6dB of gain.With the EQ controls flat it looks like a standard Marshall style tonestack. I had a crack at recreating it here.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ada-mp-1-style-preset.188069/#post-2332611

Another metal record that used the MP-1.

The two things I think about with an MP-1 model though, as already mentioned, what power amp do you choose? Personally I'd be happy with one version of the amp with a EL34 "british" poweramp, and one version with a 6L6 one.

And there's the question. Modded or unmodded. Literally no idea if for example the two metal albums I know used ADA, were modded or unmodded MP-1's. Both could be the 3 tube mod.

Our answer would be of course.. Give us all of it. That ends up being like 9 or more models inside the Axe though.

Yep, there's not many amps I can see that would benefit the Axe at this point, but as good as Leon's ADA MP-1 preset sounds,
would love to have this one added. A big +1 !

I'm curious, how would one go about creating a model of this:
View attachment 115995

It's a serious question, I somewhat understand the component modeling that is completed with the tube amplifier circuits but a stack of circuit boards? Would it be more of a tone match? How do you digitally recreate the interaction between the various options such as the overdrive and voicing selections?

I would imagine it would be quite an undertaking to pull off.

Not more complicated for Cliff than this:
JMP-1.JPG

Marshall-JMP-1-in-for-service-at-Plasma-Music.jpg

All that circuitry of IC's is mostly for the programming logic and MIDI stuff. The preamp circuit is very basic and no different than that of a regular amplifier

ADA-MP1-003-027-tubes.jpg

I'm curious, how would one go about creating a model of this:
View attachment 115995

It's a serious question, I somewhat understand the component modeling that is completed with the tube amplifier circuits but a stack of circuit boards? Would it be more of a tone match? How do you digitally recreate the interaction between the various options such as the overdrive and voicing selections?

I would imagine it would be quite an undertaking to pull off.
There are many schematics out there as they were modded by a few guys , for the power section I would imagine it could just be paired with a JCM800 which is what many of those guys were using

How many different stereo power amps were popularly used with the ADA MP-1, I wonder? I mean, we have a lot of options just listed here in this thread....

We have:
  • a stereo pair of 50W JCM 800s (aka "Brit 800 power section"; I saw that in an earlier post)
  • Marshall 9200
  • the ADA stereo power amp, I forget what it was called... "Microtube" something?
  • the other ADA stereo power amp, B200S
  • maybe the Mesa Stereo 2:90? or a Mesa 50:50?
  • maybe a VHT power amp?
  • MB Strategy 400
  • Tube Works MosValve MV-962 or MV-982
  • Fryette Synergy SYN-5050
  • ...and one guy said he wanted, at minimum, an EL34-based option and a 6L6-based option (which is probably covered by the aforementioned options!)
That's a lot of potential poweramps.

What I'm wondering is: Is there some "happy medium" between all these options which would be...
(a.) quite similar to all the most popular options; and,
(b.) able to precisely match 3 or 4 of the popular options just by tweaking one of the amp-block params a little bit
...?

If so, then Fractal could say: "Here's your ADA MP-1, plus a Fractal-invented amp which we think represents the best-of-breed sounds of the stereo power amps used with this preamp in the 80's. If you tweak [param x] a little lower, you'll find it gets closer to the JCM sound. If you tweak [param y] a little higher, it'll more-closely resemble the ADA B200S. For a more-Mesa-esque sound, try tweaking [param z]."

Those with more experience can probably guess what some of those parameters might be.

I do hope we'll see this sometime before too long!

Last edited:
How many different stereo power amps were popularly used with the ADA MP-1, I wonder? I mean, we have a lot of options just listed here in this thread....

We have:
  • a stereo pair of 50W JCM 800s (aka "Brit 800 power section"; I saw that in an earlier post)
  • the ADA stereo power amp, I forget what it was called... "Microtube" something?
  • the other ADA stereo power amp, B200S
  • maybe the Mesa Stereo 2:90? or a Mesa 50:50?
  • maybe a VHT power amp?
  • MB Strategy 400
  • Fryette Synergy SYN-5050

What I'm wondering is: Is there some "happy medium" between all these options which would be...
(a.) quite similar to all the most popular options; and,
(b.) able to precisely match 3 or 4 of the popular options just by tweaking one of the amp-block params a little bit
...?

If so, then Fractal could say: "Here's your ADA MP-1, plus a Fractal-invented amp which we think represents the best-of-breed sounds of the stereo power amps used with this preamp in the 80's. If you tweak [param x] a little lower, you'll find it gets closer to the JCM sound. If you tweak [param y] a little higher, it'll more-closely resemble the ADA B200S. For a more-Mesa-esque sound, try tweaking [param z]."

Those with more experience can probably guess what some of those parameters might be.

I do hope we'll see this sometime before too long!
I suspect it would be no different than the other Preamp type Amp models we have: Cliff picks something "appropriate" and that's your choice ;)

Back
Top Bottom