Wish ADA MP-1

Had one of the first batch, gigged it for 2 years in the 80's, sold it to a buddy,, still works now (battery change), nothin to see. If you got an AXFX, its already there, Ultra had it pegged easy, use your fingers. No excuses. MP1 ROTHFL ah vintage shit right? Be thankful, really trust me, Fractal already baked it in way back. My advice ? Move on to better juicier tones. RIP ADA. Memory flight,,Opened for Pantera MP1-Marshall 9200-Marshall split 4x12. Dimebag still kicked my ass, amazing show. I let him bogart my joint,,, very cool dude RIP DA

Last edited:
Since this unit is so loved by so many, I'm sure it's been used with every power amp out there, which makes me wonder if that's a reason Cliff has not modeled it. Which power amp to use?

One way to approach this as a model would be maybe to offer two versions, each paired with a different power amp; maybe one or both of the power amps could even be a FAS design. Just a thought.

Had one of the first batch, gigged it for 2 years in the 80's, sold it to a buddy,, still works now (battery change), nothin to see. If you got an AXFX, its already there, Ultra had it pegged easy, use your fingers. No excuses. MP1 ROTHFL ah vintage shit right? Be thankful, really trust me, Fractal already baked it in way back. My advice ? Move on to better juicier tones. RIP ADA. Memory flight,,Opened for Pantera MP1-Marshall 9200-Marshall split 4x12. Dimebag still kicked my ass, amazing show. I let him bogart my joint,,, very cool dude RIP DA
Ha ha...he said "bogart".....what a funny word.....haven't used that term in years. Even though Dram says there's no need, I think in honor
of the post above, if Cliff decides to add this, it should be named the Bogart 101.
laugh.gif

Since this unit is so loved by so many, I'm sure it's been used with every power amp out there, which makes me wonder if that's a reason Cliff has not modeled it. Which power amp to use?

One way to approach this as a model would be maybe to offer two versions, each paired with a different power amp; maybe one or both of the power amps could even be a FAS design. Just a thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fractal came out with two or more different new "amp names" on the same release, modeling this preamp married to different power sections. It's one way within the current ecosystem to deal with the problem of which power amp to use.

You could have various "new amps":
  • the Fractal Adam P-1;
  • the Fractal Damp 1-A;
  • the Fractal 1987 Ad Amp;
  • the Bogart Buzzkill 101 (in honor of the above post, and those who complain it's powered by bees)

...et cetera, et cetera, et alia, ad infinitum, and give each one sufficient power amp variation to get every big hair aficionado something a whisker away from what they recall. Then adjust the power section to taste (like we always do).

I wouldn't be surprised if Fractal came out with two or more different new "amp names" on the same release, modeling this preamp married to different power sections. It's one way within the current ecosystem to deal with the problem of which power amp to use.

You could have various "new amps":
  • the Fractal Adam P-1;
  • the Fractal Damp 1-A;
  • the Fractal 1987 Ad Amp;
  • the Bogart Buzzkill 101 (in honor of the above post, and those who complain it's powered by bees)

...et cetera, et cetera, et alia, ad infinitum, and give each one sufficient power amp variation to get every big hair aficionado something a whisker away from what they recall. Then adjust the power section to taste (like we always do).
The A 🐝 eh? For the Canuck’s

A lot of action in this thread the past few days.

Is this going to be another one of those “get-Cliff-to-model-this-amp-by-brute-force” wish list items? 😂

A lot of action in this thread the past few days.

Is this going to be another one of those “get-Cliff-to-model-this-amp-by-brute-force” wish list items? 😂
I think it got bumped because of the Nembrini plug in they released a few weeks ago

I think it’s a cool preamp , I had one years ago but Leon Todd’s version gets pretty close , IMO

I think it got bumped because of the Nembrini plug in they released a few weeks ago

I think it’s a cool preamp , I had one years ago but Leon Todd’s version gets pretty close , IMO
No doubt! I’m totally down for an MP-1 model. They’re the bees knees. Literally.

Def need a MP1 & all the Rockman X100 modes/channels. the FX III has replaced & or cured the need to get JVM, JMP1, 800, Triaxis, X88. Had a MP1 & X100 but I sold them to help fund my FXIII Turbo. Please don’t make me have to buy them again and get a bigger rack lol

+1 would love a good Vito Bratta Tone!!
You would also need Michael Wagener to produce you :grin: .

I have an mp1 stock with originaln tubes and a 3tm. I have never been able to get those squealing harmonics with it and any of my guitars (I have a superstar Levinson blade RF-4 from the 90's with active pickups, so I shouldn't be that far from Vito's guitar).

You can also hear those harmonics in skid row's albums, and I think they used their own guitars, but I also read that Vito convinced Michael to get a steinberger for his studio. Maybe I should get one some day ⚙️

But I digress, I just wanted to mention mp1 is not instant Vito magic.

I think the challenge with this model is that most people used in the FX loop in order to bypass the amp's own preamp, and when I asked about an fx loop for the axe some people mentioned Cliff wouldn't want to do this because it would make it easier for other people to steal fractal's intellectual property, which I totally understand.

Maybe we could have a 'preamp override' for all amps, where we could select one of those beautiful rack preamp from the 80's without exposing the IP of fractal... just wishful thinking here 🙏

Last edited:
You would also need Michael Wagener to produce you :grin: .

I have an mp1 stock with originaln tubes and a 3tm. I have never been able to get those squealing harmonics with it and any of my guitars (I have a superstar Levinson blade RF-4 from the 90's with active pickups, so I shouldn't be that far from Vito's guitar).

You can also hear those harmonics in skid row's albums, and I think they used their own guitars, but I also read that Vito convinced Michael to get a steinberger for his studio. Maybe I should get one some day ⚙️

But I digress, I just wanted to mention mp1 is not instant Vito magic.

I think the challenge with this model is that most people used in the FX loop in order to bypass the amp's own preamp, and when I asked about an fx loop for the axe some people mentioned Cliff wouldn't want to do this because it would make it easier for other people to steal fractal's intellectual property, which I totally understand.

Maybe we could have a 'preamp override' for all amps, where we could select one of those beautiful rack preamp from the 80's without exposing the IP of fractal... just wishful thinking here 🙏
From Micheal Wagener: The setup for the guitar sound for the EXTREME sessions as well as the first SkidRow album and White Lion's "Pride" album (in most cases, not on all tracks) was a Furman PEQ-3 into an unmodified ADA MP-1 (version 1.0, still got it) going into a McIntosh transistor poweramps (2100) into an original Marshall cab with 4x G12H (30W). The mics were, if I remember it right: Fostex M11RP Ribbon, Countryman lavalier and possibly a SM57/58 going into John Hardy M-1s and from there via a mono buss into a UREI 530 EQ and a BBE 802 then to digital tape (Mitsubishi 32 tack)"

Bet if you had all those you could get even closer, and from my own experience and leon todd's video using the the tube pre model gives the best results using a Ext pre like the MP1 into the AXE FX and using it for everything else.

Def need a MP1 & all the Rockman X100 modes/channels. the FX III has replaced & or cured the need to get JVM, JMP1, 800, Triaxis, X88. Had a MP1 & X100 but I sold them to help fund my FXIII Turbo. Please don’t make me have to buy them again and get a bigger rack lol
The rockman stuff is a lot easier because those are amp emulators themselves. The x100 has the problem you can't get the dry sound of the emulation without touching the circuit. It's either with chorus, echo or both together, and part of its magic are the fixed configuration values of those fx.
I have a double IC rockman sustainor and a rockman stereo chorus/delay, and I'm currently waiting for an X100. I will try and see how close can I get to the x100 with the other units. I think it would be a more achievable approach for the axe than having fixed settings fx

... Furman PEQ-3 into an unmodified ADA MP-1 (version 1.0, still got it) going into a McIntosh transistor poweramps (2100) into an original Marshall cab with 4x G12H (30W). The mics were, if I remember it right: Fostex M11RP Ribbon, Countryman lavalier and possibly a SM57/58 going into John Hardy M-1s and from there via a mono buss into a UREI 530 EQ and a BBE 802 then to digital tape (Mitsubishi 32 tack)...
I can also hear what I presume to be a harmonizer doing the standard detune, and I seem to recall he also mentioned a spring reverb sometimes. I have an old Orban, but even with the built in input compressors is hard not to get it into bezerk-boinking mode with the mp1 output. With cleans it sounds amazing!

It would be great to also have that McIntosh amp (I have seen one moving around in the gearspace community in the last years, but it must be pretty hard to come by even for Cliff) and the bbe modeled. I always wanted one of those maximizers and was very close a few times, but for one reason or another never got to buy one. Maybe I'll start a request. With so many hair metal nostalgics in this forum, it might get some traction :D

Last edited:
It would be great to also have that McIntosh amp (I have seen one moving around in the gearspace community in the last years, but it must be pretty hard to come by even for Cliff) and the bbe modeled. I always wanted one of those maximizers and was very close a few times, but for one reason or another never got to buy one. Maybe I'll start a request. With so many hair metal nostalgics in this forum, it might get some traction :D

The BBE has been requested and overwhelmingly argued against by most users on here; I think the threads are old, maybe you could resurrect one and help fight the good fight. I disagree with the popular opinion and think it's a great tone shaping tool. I had the rack unit with balanced connections, the 862, and it was magic for my tone.

Last edited:
Bump!!! Would really live this one! Thanks Leon for your patch! Love it! Would be great to have the amp!
Thanks Cliff for you time and passion!

Back
Top Bottom