Firmware 13 BETA Feedback?

As I understand it, there are two new things for UltraRes:

1. The AxeFx II will support longer IR's. This means any previous IR's that were not captured and saved in a long enough format will work but they won't benefit from UitraRes. They will stay the same.

2. For the long IR's, the CAB block algorithm has been changed to be less CPU intensive. In other words, FAS was able to support longer IR's but not take a big CPU hit.

My guess is most of the existing factory IR's will not be long enough to benefit from UltraRes, but they will continue to work just fine and sound identical.

New IR's would need to be captured in UltraRes length. I would also guess those are coming too. It's also possible some 3rd party companies, like Ownhammer, happen to have captured their IR's longer in the first place. In which case these would be more straightforward to re-release in the longer format.

All speculation on my part :)

As I understand it, there are two new things for UltraRes:

1. The AxeFx II will support longer IR's. This means any previous IR's that were not captured and saved in a long enough format will work but they won't benefit from UitraRes. They will stay the same.

2. For the long IR's, the CAB block algorithm has been changed to be less CPU intensive. In other words, FAS was able to support longer IR's but not take a big CPU hit.

My guess is most of the existing factory IR's will not be long enough to benefit from UltraRes, but they will continue to work just fine and sound identical.

New IR's would need to be captured in UltraRes length. I would also guess those are coming too. It's also possible some 3rd party companies, like Ownhammer, happen to have captured their IR's longer in the first place. In which case these would be more straightforward to re-release in the longer format.

All speculation on my part :)
yes to everything you said.

Anybody know if any of GuitarHack IR's will work in HiRes?
to answer questions if certain IRs will work, like the Guitar Hack (never used it myself and don't have it), really depends on the original capture size. obviously IRs are truncated to work for current applications, which doesn't have to mean that the original is the same (short) length. best would be to check with the producer of those IRs.

still, even if it's not in UltraRes format, you can still use it like before without a problem.

the whole UltraRes thing is a completely new format for Cab IRs when it comes to the length. think of it like when CDs were introduced, DVD, Blu Ray. not always is the older stuff available in the latest format straight away, but may be later updated by companies.

It's also possible some 3rd party companies, like Ownhammer, happen to have captured their IR's longer in the first place. In which case these would be more straightforward to re-release in the longer format.

It sounds as if OH are on top of it:

The 112 and 212 wav files are UltraRes ready to convert; the 412 have to be recompiled yet; that will happen soon but Kevin has not specified a time line. He's aware and it's on the roadmap for him.

to answer questions if certain IRs will work, like the Guitar Hack (never used it myself and don't have it), really depends on the original capture size. obviously IRs are truncated to work for current applications, which doesn't have to mean that the original is the same (short) length. best would be to check with the producer of those IRs.

still, even if it's not in UltraRes format, you can still use it like before without a problem.

the whole UltraRes thing is a completely new format for Cab IRs when it comes to the length. think of it like when CDs were introduced, DVD, Blu Ray. not always is the older stuff available in the latest format straight away, but may be later updated by companies.

Thanks. Yeah I understand all the current IR's will work the same. I just have no idea how to check which IR's will benefit using HiRes.

Exactly.

I don't think people are grasping that this is entirely new processing and technology. There is no current hardware on the planet that has demanded or utilized this. It's cutting edge front and center new tech.

And also remember that this is proprietary to Fractal; you will need a Fractal created utility (Cab Lab once it supports this) to convert proper length wav to UltraRes syx. Third party vendors either have the necessary length in the wav source files or they do not. This is new ground guys. It does not diminish what has gone before more than it is building on it and pushing things forward. It's about subtlety, clarity and nuance. These are the nth degrees that Fractal is obsessed with and you lose nothing from what you already have and gain a whole new proprietary format and tone tool once everyone catches up.

Exactly.

I don't think people are grasping that this is entirely new processing and technology. There is no current hardware on the planet that has demanded or utilized this. It's cutting edge front and center new tech.

And also remember that this is proprietary to Fractal; you will need a Fractal created utility (Cab Lab once it supports this) to convert proper length wav to UltraRes syx. Third party vendors either have the necessary length in the wav source files or they do not. This is new ground guys. It does not diminish what has gone before more than it is building on it and pushing things forward. It's about subtlety, clarity and nuance. These are the nth degrees that Fractal is obsessed with and you lose nothing from what you already have and gain a whole new proprietary format and tone tool once everyone catches up.

Well Said Scott, you're not a marketing guy are you...JK I know you are. I want to start a business and hire you someday.

Even though 1024 and 2048 IRs are already short, could similar compression or whatever Cliff's technique is be applied to save even more CPU on the old formats?

Any hope for Stereo mode in Hi or Ultrares (instead of lo-res only)?

Last edited:

If so, then it's time to include impedance curve data into a digital combo format, and make the Hi-Res Cab block interactive with the amp-block (means there is some kind of a SPKR Page side chain thing going on). You can always load proper length wav. source files only - or you can include same lenght impedance curve files and convert this into a UltraRes.syx - this would be even more ground breaking! Think about it.....

cheers
Paco

Soon enough Fractal will release Ultrares in the upcoming FW13.x. I think it is safe to understand that the release will be accompanied by well written and thorough instructions detailing how to utilize the feature. As Scott P said, we are having our Hardware updated to include a yet to exist "Added" benefit via Ultrares capabilities. This is AWESOME in that we do not have to fork out a few grand to experience this new benefit. FAS could have easily chosen to implement Ultrares exclusively in the XL version, or waited to put out Axe-FX III with this advancement. Have faith that when it hits, we will be provided with all of the information and tools required in Ultrares clarity.
Thank you very much Cliff, for graciously choosing to share the new platform on our Axe-FX II rigs without added costs!! (Other than purchasing CabLab for chump change if you want to have the conversion utility) Seriously appreciated (not expected) by all of us Axe-FX II users.

Exactly.

Scott - I am really looking forward to your review of UltraRes and the AXE FX II XL when the time is right. Your reviews have all best fantasic and genuine. Every night I say an extra Thank You Scott prayer for your videos and review of the CLR NEOs which are fantastic BTW. You certainly are loved and highly respected here in Fractal Land. :encouragement:

Very stoked to try this. Something is 'not right' with IRs in my opinion, I've tried a million of them. I don't care how close they might be to cabs according to analysis etc., my ears tell me there's something amiss compared to a real cab still.

Back
Top Bottom