Firmware 13 BETA Feedback?

I suspect most improvements going forward are going to be incremental. I mean, the thing sounds tits as it is - how much improvement can there possibly be? I think what we'll see is increased utility such as the XL, where there are more user presets, better I/O, etc. rather than any dramatic sonic thing.

+1000 Cliff is pretty much putting the final nails in the coffin it seems. I'm just really looking forward to the effects of UltraRes!

The idea that there can't be any additional substantial improvements coming has been advanced for the last several years, and has not, to this point, proven to be true.

The idea that there can't be any additional substantial improvements coming has been advanced for the last several years, and has not, to this point, proven to be true.

I agree, ive heard so many times how "we're there" and time and time again we take another big steps closer. Perfect example, 12.04b is a big step, then ultra res cabs is coming and it's another big step once again lol. I mean this debate is just fun water cooler talk, but let's face it, the track record proves that major improvements are still going to happen. But i must say if nothing changed from here forward it's pretty damn good right now.

The amp modelling has been capable of producing great tone for a long time, in my opinion. New FW can make it easier to find those tones, I suppose. I'm so happy with my sounds that it's similar to what Cliff said: "I dare not touch them"... and I'm on FW 6.0!

New firmware always generates excitement, but 12.04b is getting such rave reviews that I think it's time to take the plunge and get current.

I agree, ive heard so many times how "we're there" and time and time again we take another big steps closer. Perfect example, 12.04b is a big step, then ultra res cabs is coming and it's another big step once again lol. I mean this debate is just fun water cooler talk, but let's face it, the track record proves that major improvements are still going to happen. But i must say if nothing changed from here forward it's pretty damn good right now.

You might want to checkout post # 257 from this thread. I think its just the matter with IR's and minor tweaks..... But I guess we'll see if "epiphany strikes again". 8)

I'm just wondering as a cab lab noob and someone who doesn't mix cabs, when UltraRes is released will the factory cabs be converted to this format? I would love to hear the factory 62 V30 cab in ultraRes. If that cab can be improved, show me cause I don't believe it Cliff. :)

You might want to checkout post # 257 from this thread. I think its just the matter with IR's and minor tweaks..... But I guess we'll see if "epiphany strikes again". 8)

I don't mean necessarily with this firmware, i mean in the general future of the product. Back in the ultra days i heard the same declarations of its pretty much exactly the same as the real world and here we are again with a major advance. It's just the way it goes we just keep getting better. That's an awesome thing.

If you are on the verge of releasing a major upgrade of a product (new frontplate, a totally new design of every circuitboard etc.) you probably have a stash of hard- and software that would just go into thrash.
It's better to make small upgrades in the meantime. TC-electronics did that with the red G-system - but unfortunately lost the battle to Fractal. (Fortunate to me).

This may have been answered somewhere in this massive thread, but what is the Cab IR length(s) everyone is using right now while testing the 12.04b? (presuming they are testing using the longest available.)

Oh sorry .
I should have mentioned that I ment IR WITH several hundred ms lenght.

IIRC, bit depth and sampling rate were not the issue in regards to UltraRes vs. the IR's and CAB block we already have in 12.04b.

Cliff stated that in his testing, IR's of 8000 samples (approx. 167 ms?) were necessary to accurately represent the low frequency amplitude response.

But using standard convolution was too CPU intensive with 8000 samples. Part of UltraRes is a new algorithm in the CAB block to be able to process the 8000 sample IR's but not take a big CPU hit.

The other part of UltraRes is of course, new 8000 sample IR's to take advantage of the new CAB block algorithm :)

With the new firmware, I would really like to have the ultrares versions of the cabs from 101 to 106. Those would be sufficient for me.
I don't know why but with the fw 12.04b, I'm leaning towards the stock cabs instead of ownhammer cabs.

The Basketweave TV Mix cab is the most overall useable cab for me. It's just such a good sounding cab. Hearing this one with a longer natural tail in Ultra res will be awesome. I think the way Cliff treats his customers has no equal. If and when a III is developed and released I'll be buying one. I don't think I've ever derived so much satisfaction from a bit of gear like the Axe. I play far more now than I ever did before!!! I guess his attitude just fosters loyalty.

Back
Top Bottom