Firmware 13 BETA Feedback?

Good questions. I was about to pull the lever on some ir's but now I may wait and see what this brings forth...

My commentary on V.13 beta with UltraRes:

Boiled down (instead of my more wordy attempts to describe things): I hear UltraRes as this - the lows more than the mids; but it's tangible. Once the machine and entire eco-system behind creating these are in place; that'll be something else. The cumulative effect of the more detailed modeling and this together is as clear as day in a 1-to-1 comparison to prior firmware in terms of feel. It envelopes you rather than sits in front of you. Again, I am operating in a purely direct-to-FOH manner and feel that these gains just go further and further to legitimize and engage the direct-to-FOH guys. It's very inspiring here to work with this. Comparing tones from v.12.02 to v.13beta running UltraRes is eye opening.

I perceive it as an enormous amount of work/dedication/focus to capture those little details and nuances. The devil is, as always, in the details. These are the things that make this platform more inspiring and engaging to work with. Nothing is overlooked because it is too much to undertake. It's the 'ease' and 'definition' of the IR that seems to allow the new modeling engine to breath and sing. Boiled down: It envelopes you rather than sits in front of you.

The 112 and 212 wav files are UltraRes ready to convert; the 412 have to be recompiled yet; that will happen soon but Kevin has not specified a time line. He's aware and it's on the roadmap for him.

Good to know. Your current mixes and his capture method sounds fabulous as is. Will be interesting to compare the first Ultra Res cabs to the current OH stuff. BTW, does recompile mean he has to reshoot the 412s? We need to pitch in to get Kevin more help, or Fractal should hire him. :)

As far as the Ultra Res IRs that you've tried based on your other comment, are those OH or updated ones from Fractal...if you're allowed to share that info.

...In general I find it makes the sound less "direct". You can hear more of the room (unsurprisingly).

One of the best things is that you get better resolution than High Resolution mode but with less CPU usage. My test preset uses 46% CPU with a normal resolution cab, 54% with a High Resolution cab and 50% with an Ultra Res cab. So a 4% savings in CPU but higher resolution than hi-res.
Santas Pelotas de Cabinites!

I'm confused. Will all the factory cabs be Ultra rez cabs, a choice of low, high or ultra rez or do we have to create them all with Cab Lab?

So, you're telling us that it gets even better than 12.04? I really like the whole "envelopes you" metaphor. <-S.P.
~~~ And the Grammy goes to..... "FAS", for creating tools which are forever changing how our music is made.
I am as happy as a cat in a mouse cage until this hits, but man am I excited to hear and feel this advancement in the near future - Thank you Cliff, FAS, BETA crew.:eagerness:

As I'm a tone-legasthenic, I will probably not hear the difference between ultra res and high res. But I will appreciate the CPU savings. ;)

They can talk about it. It's no big secret that we are doing it.

It depends a lot on the particular IR. In general I find it makes the sound less "direct". You can hear more of the room (unsurprisingly).

One of the best things is that you get better resolution than High Resolution mode but with less CPU usage. My test preset uses 46% CPU with a normal resolution cab, 54% with a High Resolution cab and 50% with an Ultra Res cab. So a 4% savings in CPU but higher resolution than hi-res.

Wonderful !!! :encouragement:

Good to know. BTW, does recompile mean he has to reshoot the 412s?

No, my question about the wave file size covered that. Compiling will probably be some work depending on how the files/workflow/tools are set up but no reshooting.

It should be computer work at this point.

Not sure if this has been asked or not, but since the CPU usage is lower is there the possibility of stereo ultrarez ir's?

Back
Top Bottom