Firmware 13 BETA Feedback?

Manny Fufish

Power User
So we recently heard from Cliff that Firmware 13 BETA is out with the BETA testers and now has Ultra Res built in to it. For those of us chomping at the bit, can the testers give us their high level feedback so far? What would you say Ultra Res brings to the table? I would love to hear any kind of feedback on what we have to look forward to with FW13! Sorry to be so impatient, but like many of us, I so enjoy the FW ride!

Thanks to all!

There was a simulation done in a DAW in the original thread where someone tried to approximate what this might sound like, but I haven't heard any demo's done with an Axe FX. If someone knows of one, please provide the link...

Curious about this ultra res. What is it? Is it a step further than MIMIC technology or something totally besides it?

They can talk about it. It's no big secret that we are doing it.

It depends a lot on the particular IR. In general I find it makes the sound less "direct". You can hear more of the room (unsurprisingly).

One of the best things is that you get better resolution than High Resolution mode but with less CPU usage. My test preset uses 46% CPU with a normal resolution cab, 54% with a High Resolution cab and 50% with an Ultra Res cab. So a 4% savings in CPU but higher resolution than hi-res.

Regarding Ultra Res, can you create those IRs from WAV files? I assume so. This would allow us to create Ultra Res versions of 3rd Party IRs...I assume with Cab Lab.

They can talk about it. It's no big secret that we are doing it.

It depends a lot on the particular IR. In general I find it makes the sound less "direct". You can hear more of the room (unsurprisingly).

One of the best things is that you get better resolution than High Resolution mode but with less CPU usage. My test preset uses 46% CPU with a normal resolution cab, 54% with a High Resolution cab and 50% with an Ultra Res cab. So a 4% savings in CPU but higher resolution than hi-res.
ok... now that I've got official permission...

we've been testing a few IRs in Ultra Res mode so far and pretty much all of us were quite impressed with the results. I think it's still a bit early to go into full detail, but there's definitely a difference there. to the better I may say. apart from the fact Cliff mentioned already that they actually use less CPU, I can definitely hear more detail and definition when switching between the same IR as Normal and Ultra Res. as I said, still to early to go into more detail, but definitely something you can all look forward to ;)

Back
Top Bottom