Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 8.01a Up

I just went back to 8.01 and then reinstalled 8.01A and made a preset from scratch using the TM block. I set my distortion to the Y and clean to X...the patch starts out sounding fine but when I switch to X and then back to Y it is noticeably louder...seems to be the same tone but there is still definitely something not right even with 8.01A.

Are you using Axe-Edit?

I've been kinda getting discouraged, every update and my sound kept getting worse but some of it could possibly be in my head. Anyway, I downloaded 8.01a and I've always kept my graphic eq on the amp block right in the middle like its normally set but tonight I gave it a little bit of a smiley face and bam! My sound is kicking my ass! Before it was not tight and punchy when I would chunk a low E chord or palm mute some heavy riffs but now it is making my heart hurt through my big rig setup!
I'm happy!

Cliff is having them rewrite the whole thing, though we were suppose to be getting some updates before now and so who knows what is going on. Thankfully The front panel is easier to use than the Ultra, but it's just not as easy for me as the Editor. I often wish that Cliff finds someone that is like him to work on that Editor, then we would see updates like every few weeks or month that were solid.

I use Axe-Edit as well - Is this a no-no? If so, why is it here?

I use Axe-Edit as well - Is this a no-no? If so, why is it here?
There are issues with Axe-Edit corrupting presets, along with other quirks. It's safe for firmware installs, and it might still be safe for backups and restores (can anyone confirm?), but it can be risky for editing.

Axe Edit just crashes each time I attempt to launch it so I'm SOL on uploading the v8.01a patch. Guess I'll wait until the new Axe Edit is ready to go. I installed v8.01 yesterday and then went through and reset each of my presets so the X-Y configuration was correct and I also corrected the amp model on those presets that defaulted to the 65 BassGuy.

Have you tried blowing away Axe-Edit's config file before starting the program?

Cliff is having them rewrite the whole thing, though we were suppose to be getting some updates before now and so who knows what is going on. Thankfully The front panel is easier to use than the Ultra, but it's just not as easy for me as the Editor. I often wish that Cliff finds someone that is like him to work on that Editor, then we would see updates like every few weeks or month that were solid.

I hope so - In my touring situation, I absolutely have to use Axe-Edit to program my units.... there is no other option onstage (no way to conveniently view the Axe's screen).

Last edited:
Config is in \Library\Preferences\Fractal Audio.
Note that in the last OS X versions the Library is hidden.
Hold Ctrl-Alt-Cmd and click Go in the Finder menu at the top of the screen to make it appear

PS I always delete the config folder before installing a new AE version....

Last edited:
Are you using Axe-Edit?

No, I only use Axe edit to update then I turn it off. I didn't get a chance to record a clip either, I'll try to tonight. Basically when I save a new preset, and go from Y to X to Y the Y amp is noticeably louder. If I switch presets and then go back it sounds the way it should.

Bears repeating. Most companies will 'gather data', and ignore the issue based off of their long timeline of software release. Internet 'workarounds' will appear from those who have the time and inclination to try various methods to get it to work. The company will either fix a bug that's the most irritating within a month, then a patch in the following months.

We should be extremely grateful we are in this position...

R

+1

that's a killer thing ain't it...

when you buy an Axe you have two choices...

1 - you buy the box and just do your thing... which is cool enough..

2 - you buy the Axe and also buy-in to the whole Axe community / family..
not only is this a very generous and pretty sizeable pool of knowledge / experience / innovation, but FAS themselves actively take part
and when a user is struggling or having a pre-gig calamity.. the whole place turns into the 7th Cavalry and ride to the rescue..

you are never on your own..

I think this really sets the whole Axe experience apart from everything else..

so you are in effect buying far more than just a very cool / highly capable box...

No, I only use Axe edit to update then I turn it off. I didn't get a chance to record a clip either, I'll try to tonight. Basically when I save a new preset, and go from Y to X to Y the Y amp is noticeably louder. If I switch presets and then go back it sounds the way it should.

Send the preset in question to support please.

ahhh... my post just lists what's in 8.01..

8.01a fixes a bug..
I think that's the only difference between them

Back
Top Bottom