Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having heard the new amp sims, how close do you think the models in the Ultra was listening in retrospective? (In percent).

I don't want to know....cause then it will tarnish the ultra and my goal to keep it and be happy with it, hahaha, and lead to GAS. :)

1. How many amp models can the Axe-Fx II's firmware theoretically hold compared to the Axe-Fx Ultra's?

2. What is the Axe-Fx II's patch grid layout? 4x12 blocks like the original Axe-Fx?

1. Bazillions. The II's firmware ROM is four times bigger than the Ultra.

2. Same.

This is exciting Cliff!

Any chance the SoldanoX88R pre-amp I traded you is gonna be modeled,or is that covered in SLO sim?
Is their specific power amp sims?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Cliff

As you sold me on the 2 some technical questions

Still 100V-110V and 220V-240V with one Axe?
How is the USB latency with a normal cable length?
Can I use editing and recording parallel through the USB?
Can I still use Midi editing ?
Can I configurate headphone output-->If I go through main amp's powr section(in my case Mark V) what will I hear on the headphones-->just the preamp section?

Thanks for a little light in the dark

Roland

1). Is it possible to update firmware \ presets \ banks from file stored on USB thumbdrive?
2). Can you explain the built-in backup memory? If I bork a preset can I restore it from onboard backup without Axe-Edit? If I bork the whole eeprom (bad flash) can FAS service replace and then ship my Axe-II back to me with my presets intact, restored from the built in backup?

You mention when playing an mp3 via usb it mixes into the axe-fx output.
Does it always do this ?
Eg if I play along in Reaper to a backing track and record, does it only record the merged sound or can I just record the 'guitar' track
Good to hear it hooks up nicely with Reaper.

Cliff, First...as a brand new owner of one of your fine pieces of gear I must express a bit of disappointment. I bought into the hype of the countdown hoping for something completely different like Axe Edit or major firmware or something. Being blindsided by a whole new unit was a bit of a letdown but also very exciting. I totally understand the business end and the advancements in technology only point to newer and better. PCs and Apple have been doing it for decades but with one added feature: Backwards compatibility!! As stated in an earlier response you said the protocol between the Ultra and II are completely different, therefore incompatible.
So, my questions to you are this:
1. Will this make our current Standards and Ultras obsolete?
2. IF and when Axe Edit gets released from the beta stage and is supported by Fractal will it only cater to the II or will Standards and Ultras be able to use all the functions?
3. Regarding MFC, are there any plans to some how dedicate the line so we can stop switching cables every time we use Axe Edit?
4. How much upgrade room is available in the Standard/Ultra and are you still going to focus on giving the current users the latest and greatest possible...at least to what our units can handle without frying something? (lol)
I really appreciate the fact that you take the time to answer questions on this forum. At least we dont feel like bumps on a log or red headed step children.......hahahaha
Thanks for your time....
Rockfx

If I understood right from an answer earlier in this thread, there is still a limit of 2 amps per patch. I'm curious if it's possible to chain an Ultra and an AFx II together to get three amps. If I understand right, it's not possible on the Ultra to use the SPDIF connections for an Fx Loop. How about on the new box? I'd be interested in running my Ultra in an Fx Loop block on an AFx II, feeding the dry input signal (or have the flexibility of the Fx Loop block to take an effected signal as well) and send it out to the Ultra via SPDIF and then the Ultra's SPDIF out would return to the AFx II's SPDIF in. And I'd like to be able to use that entire two-box configuration to reamp things all in-the-box in my DAW. Is this all possible?

What parameters are in the new CAB block?

a) Can you tell a little bit more about it, is it some kind of 'Room effect'?

b) No more mic model - or is it an extra block now?

c) Any chance to create that 'Amp in the room sound' - instead of the usual 'control room sound' - are all included IR's close mic'ed ones?

+

Does the MFC-101 data appear at a virtual MIDI port on Mac/PC?

Suppose I use the Axe-FX II as my main audio interface with a DAW (Ableton Live8), while simultaneously using the AxeFX II for my guitar tones. Can I change Axe-FX II presets without interrupting the DAW audio out?

Hey Cliff, Just a few questions about the amp models.

1) Can we bypass pre/power sections of the amps?
2) Can we mix and match pre/power sections?
3) Can you talk a little about the looper feature set?

-Nate

Suppose I use the Axe-FX II as my main audio interface with a DAW (Ableton Live8), while simultaneously using the AxeFX II for my guitar tones. Can I change Axe-FX II presets without interrupting the DAW audio out?

Not following this.

Not following this.

1) What is the main difference in the amp models compared to the old ones?

2) Are there any new effect types?

Compare function

Does the Ultra 2 have a "compare" function enabling comparison of an edited preset with the stored preset which to me, was a critical oversight on the Ultra?

Regarding 2028 IRs:
~Have you created any actual 2028 IRs? Did you re-sample the IRs in the Axe II or did you move the Ultra IRs over and add zeroes for now?
~The jump from 512 to 1024 produced audible and useful results especially with far field IRs. If you have created some 2028 IRs, how significant is the quality difference?
~My (very limited) understanding of creating IRs leads me to believe that creating 2028 IRs opens a huge can of worms in terms of the laboratory conditions needed to not cause more problems than whatever the added benefits are. Thoughts?
~I speculate that 2028 will make no difference in near-field IRs. Is this correct?
~Do the Ownhammer and Redwirez folks have facilities and knowledge suitable for creating 2028 IRs?

If I understood right from an answer earlier in this thread, there is still a limit of 2 amps per patch. ...

IIRC you have an X and Y for each AMP, switchable with cc. This would give you 4 AMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom