Axe-Fx III Firmware 1.19 Public Beta

Great Improvement on the pitch shifter. I can do -5 shifts to simulate a 7-string low range and there's hardly any artifacting - Impressive.

This is a standard tuned guitar, with a pitch shifter set to a -5 shift.

Not too shabby at all! I tend to be pretty sensitive to latency and PS warblage but that is sounding extremely promising, especially considering it is 5 steps. I'm officially psyched for the official release (not planning on loading the beta; for stability). Did that require any tweaking?

I have been gigging with the III, pretty much from day 1 since it's release and it's been rock solid. However, I gigged with the latest beta firmware over the weekend and had some strange things happening on my patch. I use one path the entire night, use scenes and control it with a Boss ES-8. The wah was coming on where it wasn't suppose to. A delay block was showing that it was on but was producing no delay sounds. Going to try and replicate the issues later today.

A delay block was showing that it was on but was producing no delay sounds.

Where was the delay block showing as on? i.e. was it on the Axe3 or on the ES-8? If it was the ES-8 then it could be that you switched to a scene with no delay and (if you are not using bi-directional midi) the delay light did not switch off - giving you the impression it was on.

I found when I starting using my Axe3 live, I had to be very careful when setting up my scenes so that I was using the correct channel in each scene. An example is, I would add a wah block to my patch, set it up as auto engage on Scene 1 with Channel B, but forget to check which channel the wah block was set to on Scenes 2 - 8. Then it would work fine on Scene 1, but as soon as I switch to Scene 2 then the wah would come on.

So now my process is, every single time I play live, I first go through all my scenes to make sure they are set to the correct channels. An easy way to do this is to use Block Info on Axe Edit.

Where was the delay block showing as on?

On the Axe Fx III

I found when I starting using my Axe3 live, I had to be very careful when setting up my scenes so that I was using the correct channel in each scene. An example is, I would add a wah block to my patch, set it up as auto engage on Scene 1 with Channel B, but forget to check which channel the wah block was set to on Scenes 2 - 8. Then it would work fine on Scene 1, but as soon as I switch to Scene 2 then the wah would come on.

So now my process is, every single time I play live, I first go through all my scenes to make sure they are set to the correct channels. An easy way to do this is to use Block Info on Axe Edit.

I had a similar experience when I first starting using the III live as well but have had the kinks ironed for a while now, until I installed the latest firmware.

On the Axe Fx III

I had a similar experience when I first starting using the III live as well but have had the kinks ironed for a while now, until I installed the latest firmware.

Ok, strange that. I forgot to mention I'm also on the latest Beta and haven't and any issues (played live twice with it so far), which is why I took a chance it might be a scene setup issue.

It is a Beta after all, so rolling back until the official release is par for the course.

Not too shabby at all! I tend to be pretty sensitive to latency and PS warblage but that is sounding extremely promising, especially considering it is 5 steps. I'm officially psyched for the official release (not planning on loading the beta; for stability). Did that require any tweaking?
Tweaking of the pitch shifter? No I just used the Dual shift mode, set one of the voices to 0% volume, the other to 100%, shift -5, block mix to 100% I dropped it right at the very beginning of my chain in the Uber Chugga III patch.

The Delay Block - I can neither find the "Config" button on Axe Edit III nor the equivalent function on the front screen (i.e. the possibility to manually set Time and Tempo separately for Left and Right. But I do find a button for "L/R Time Ratio". Is the latter supposed to replace the Config or am I missing something? I am running FW 1.19 - beta and Axe Edit III Version 1.00.04.
Anyway the Axe Fx III is a wonderful piece of gear and after playing guitar for 45 years and having owned a number of nice tube amps I now finally have found "my" sound (or sounds to be more correct:)). Thank you Fractal for creating such a wonderful unit!
upload_2018-11-15_11-4-13.png

The Delay Block - I can neither find the "Config" button on Axe Edit III nor the equivalent function on the front screen (i.e. the possibility to manually set Time and Tempo separately for Left and Right. But I do find a button for "L/R Time Ratio". Is the latter supposed to replace the Config or am I missing something? I am running FW 1.19 - beta and Axe Edit III Version 1.00.04.

CONFIG has been removed in the III, because it has no function in most of the delay types.

TIME RATIO is not the same as CONFIG, see manual.

I'm still keeping my vote/wish for formant style shift to be added. Even with added latency and limited to monophonic, it would be really nice for harmonized single note work, octave leads, etc
Especially Iron Maiden style harmonies! Currently higher voices tend to sound a bit chipmunkish

Last edited:
Pitch block down-tuning is the goods

Thanks for all the great video's Leon . I have been experimenting with the pitch block with pretty good results. Would love to see your preset for this. Curious on where you place the pitch block and any other tweaks that might have been made . Thanks again .

Thanks for all the great video's Leon . I have been experimenting with the pitch block with pretty good results. Would love to see your preset for this. Curious on where you place the pitch block and any other tweaks that might have been made . Thanks again .
General rule : if you want to transpose your guitar (no dry signal)/use the pitch block as a whammy, put the pitch block at the beginning of the chain. If you want to harmonize/detune (mix of dry tone and harmonizer) then put it after the amp. It may be before or after the cab, which produces different results. Note that if you put it before the cab and use panning in your pitch block, like stereo detune or whatever, the cab should be be in stereo too (like twice the same IRs panned left/right and input set to stereo).
I like to put it in parallel after the cab, with mix 100%, level to taste, mute mode = no dry signal

Last edited:
Curious on where you place the pitch block and any other tweaks that might have been made . Thanks again .
I'm not Leon, but I do as @fremen does when transposing the guitar: put it before the amp. If I'm harmonizing, I like to put it between the Amp and the Cab blocks. If you put it after the Cab block, you wind up transposing the voice of the cab itself, which I usually don't want.

I take the approach @fremen and @Rex mentioned. I usually use the advanced whammy set on Poly mode, but for that video it's the dual shift mode with voice 2 turned off (level at 0) and the block mix at 100%. First thing in the chain. Block attached.

Attachments

• Tune DownUp_20181118_124632.blk
    1.4 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom