Advice on guitar for Pink Floyd tribute band

Nor perfect : we had the worst stage monitoring problems ever. Basically, everything we set during the soundcheck was erased, and we only had the singers' reverb in our wedges. I had to raise the level of my Atomic CLR so the others could hear me so my guitar started to squeal etc... The drummer played the whole show with a completely silent monitor. So it was a bummer for us, fortunately, the audience loved it

Forgot to post that one :

Question : I have tuning stability problems with the Strat when using the vibrato, and I use it quite a lot for these Gilmour solos… I already replaced the nut with a Fender Roller Nut LSR. Maybe, as there are locking tuners, I'm installing the strings wrong ? Anyway, the bridge is a Gotoh, but a friend recommends me the Blade Runner, and I need a 2 points version. I would love a Floyd Rose type bridge (not typically Strat I know), any advice ?

Question : I have tuning stability problems with the Strat when using the vibrato, and I use it quite a lot for these Gilmour solos… I already replaced the nut with a Fender Roller Nut LSR. Maybe, as there are locking tuners, I'm installing the strings wrong ? Anyway, the bridge is a Gotoh, but a friend recommends me the Blade Runner, and I need a 2 points version. I would love a Floyd Rose type bridge (not typically Strat I know), any advice ?
How have you got your bridge set up? Dive only? Floating?

Floating I think… At work now, will check this afternoon. I guess that dive only would be better ?
Do you know those Blade Runner bridges ?

I'm no expert, but I don't recall anything other than dives on Floyd music. Dive-only can help stability, if it's set up right. If not, it can make it worse.

There are lots of things that can affect return-to-zero—worn knife edges, canted bridge, even roller nuts. :)

Does the problem affect all strings, or just some of them? That could give you a clue about whether the problem is at the bridge or further down the neck.

I've never used a Blade Runner, but I've heard good things about them.

It affects most strings… I'll try a few things this afternoon, starting with that :

I agree with the video, except that I don't put the string under significant tension before I lock the tuner. Instead, I just take up the slack. That allows me to come up to pitch with somewhere around a half turn around the post. This puts more of the the string stress onto the nice, round tuning post instead of the hard, sharp lock point.

I'm no expert, but I don't recall anything other than dives on Floyd music. Dive-only can help stability, if it's set up right. If not, it can make it worse.

Not to mention that sometimes David went drop-D on some songs, like Careful with that Axe Eugene. Which tends to be a nightmare with floating bridges.

Pickupwise whenever most people want a DG, they either go for the active EMG set, or the current Seymour Duncan/Fender loadout on the Black Strat. Personally I would like to have the Black Strat's original pickup set, the one he had on Live in Pompeii. My preferred era and DG tone.

Let me introduces out new backing vocals singer, Joelle :

This was a first take, she didn't even warm up

and a few more videos, all Pink Floyd related :

I'm considering ordering a Tom Anderson Drop Top, anyone here has one ? How close is it tonewise to a USA Stratocaster ?

Throwing a vote in for G&L.I played Mexi strats, then I played the G&L and it smoked them.

Throwing a vote in for G&L.I played Mexi strats, then I played the G&L and it smoked them.
I now have a Suhr Classic, but I hope to check a G&L one day...

I have tuning stability problems with the Suhr though, I don't understand how so many players uses high end guitars (Suhr, Tom Anderson, the latest AZ series from Ibanez...) with classic trems instead of Floyds and always stay in tune :)

For our latest gig, which was private, I used my Tom Anderson instead of the Suhr for "Comfortably numb" :

No soundboard recording this time, but I like this solo more than the Casela one, more restrained and more controlled... But the Casela crowd was much better, 1800 people that are there for you vs 300 tourists and a few friends for the re-launch of a hotel :

A question for Tom Anderson owners : is their Drop Top classic, with three single coils and a maple neck, close enough to a real Stratocaster ?

Awesome second solo in the new video, Freman! (That's my favorite solo to play live, and you did it proud.)

Back
Top Bottom